Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Slow paced riding

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-20, 02:52 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Old 01-17-20, 08:37 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
For some serious bike handling skills practice, hit a university campus during class change times. Slow walking kiddos glued to their phones...the training is priceless. HRM and cadence sensors highly recommended.
Old 01-17-20, 09:13 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
When I was a kid, I used to get up to speed, then see how far I could go without pedaling on streets with no discernable downgrade in the direction I was traveling. I became quite adept at really low speed swerves to catch little slopes from the crown of the road and so forth.I remember this as being pretty damn fun and I think I made it an entire mile once, I may have to give it a shot as an old fart.
I have done that as well. I also found out that I can get up to 10-12 kph and maintain it just by turning the handlebar back and forth in a fairly aggressive manner. It's rather tiring though, I'm not sure for how long I could keep it up.

With all that said, I find riding at walking pace kind of useless - too slow to get any workout, doesn't get you from A to B faster than walking, and is too fast to present any real challenge as far balance goes. Usually if I join on my bike someone who is walking, I'd get off the bike and walk along.
Old 01-17-20, 09:49 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,534 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
For some serious bike handling skills practice, hit a university campus during class change times. Slow walking kiddos glued to their phones...the training is priceless. HRM and cadence sensors highly recommended.
Like this? UC Davis Ansel Adams was the photographer. No phones though. Note that there are no backpacks either.

Old 01-17-20, 09:51 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
Interesting day on the bike. I pull out of my driveway and run into a pleasant neighbor who was walking the neighborhood. We started chatting and we were doing around 3.5 miles per hour. (Me on bicycle and him walking). We did this for around an hour and a half. I found the cycling to be interesting. More bike handling skills. The neighborhood is tight and we turned many many times. At times I was track standing in the turns to allow him to make his turns and continue as we had our conversation. My overall slow speed handling skills and balance have improved today. Not so something I would do everyday (no cardio workout of course).

Any my thoughts on this?
thoughts yes. it's good just to be outside
Old 01-17-20, 10:04 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
My handling skills went up when I started on bicycle patrol. During that period of time, being on the bike was nearly as stable as being on my feet.
Old 01-17-20, 10:06 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade
I have done that as well. I also found out that I can get up to 10-12 kph and maintain it just by turning the handlebar back and forth in a fairly aggressive manner. It's rather tiring though, I'm not sure for how long I could keep it up.

With all that said, I find riding at walking pace kind of useless - too slow to get any workout, doesn't get you from A to B faster than walking, and is too fast to present any real challenge as far balance goes. Usually if I join on my bike someone who is walking, I'd get off the bike and walk along.

I think a lot of this might depend on individual physical factors. I find slow riding considerably easier than walking a bike because I find having the bike off to the side just a bit awkward, and also find that some bikes are easier to walk than others. It's not a real issue, though, just kind of find it interesting that people have different preferences.

I do tend to get off the bike to talk to someone, but mostly because it puts us on the same level physically.
Old 01-17-20, 12:08 PM
chadtrent

Bikes: 2020 Canyon Endurace CF SL

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 47 Posts
I volunteer with the local running club. I ride bike sweep for all their races. So I spend those days doing no more than 3 mph most times. It does work on your handling skills. Sometimes I go so slow that my Wahoo auto pauses because it thinks I'm stopped.
Likes For chadtrent:
Old 01-17-20, 01:24 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

thats a great idea
Old 01-17-20, 01:37 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

I think it finally stopped doing this, but Google Maps was routing out of the way to send bikes through the center of the Harvard campus. This is not a fun place to ride unless you really want to improve your human slaloming skills.
Old 01-17-20, 02:02 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Like this? UC Davis Ansel Adams was the photographer. No phones though. Note that there are no backpacks either.

Wow, look at all those poor people who are going to be come vegetables due to not wearing a helmet! <ducks>
Old 01-17-20, 02:02 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
This is not a fun place to ride unless you really want to improve your human slaloming skills.
I started riding seriously as an adult during my last two years at Penn. Locust Walk is the main artery connecting most of the buildings where classes were held. It was also lined by some frats, a major dining hall and three high rise dorms. It is where I developed what could become awesome human slaloming skills. These day, bike are prohibited during most of the day. 8-4 last I was out that way.
Old 01-17-20, 03:26 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I started riding seriously as an adult during my last two years at Penn. Locust Walk is the main artery connecting most of the buildings where classes were held. It was also lined by some frats, a major dining hall and three high rise dorms. It is where I developed what could become awesome human slaloming skills. These day, bike are prohibited during most of the day. 8-4 last I was out that way.

My theory on why Google Maps routed bikes that way was that the Stanford alum who worked there either thought the Harvard campus is as bike friendly as Stanford, or they know it is not, but they thought it was funny to plague Harvard with a bunch of lost riders.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-17-20, 04:48 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Too slow, what a waste of time...Don't you know that bicycles are supposed to be ridden fast all the time...Shame on you for not maintaining 35 MPH for 90 minutes straight.
Old 01-17-20, 08:43 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts

As a student of AA's zone system (varying degrees of success) appreciate this pic simply because he shot it.. kind of a snapshot though.
Old 01-17-20, 08:43 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Too slow, what a waste of time...Don't you know that bicycles are supposed to be ridden fast all the time...Shame on you for not maintaining 35 MPH for 90 minutes straight.
every once in a while you have to mix it up (give your heart a break with a few less ticks while still being on the bicycle)
Old 01-17-20, 10:11 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 161 Posts
Too slow too long for me. Being a big rider, I need the force of the pedaling action to help raise me off the seat a bit for comfort.

I can ride slow climbing and track stand type stuff. Maybe for 30 minutes farting around.

But 1.5 hours full weight on saddle? Ouch

There have been times I tried to ride with people at 13 mph. After 30 minutes, I got to go. Uncomfortable sitting full weight like a brick on the saddle. I need a little lift.
Old 01-17-20, 11:08 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,534 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
As a student of AA's zone system (varying degrees of success) appreciate this pic simply because he shot it.. kind of a snapshot though.
As an aside, sometimes Ansel Adams took "snapshots" (an impression or view of something brief or transitory) that turned out quite well.

The making of the photograph Moonrise, Hernandez, New Mexico

Old 01-18-20, 05:53 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
As an aside, sometimes Ansel Adams took "snapshots" (an impression or view of something brief or transitory) that turned out quite well.

The making of the photograph Moonrise, Hernandez, New Mexico

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_Ar5ZPuKUM

One of his many that I've long admired.
Old 01-24-20, 11:28 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Wow, look at all those poor people who are going to be come vegetables due to not wearing a helmet! <ducks>
Don't know if it is still a thing, but there was a tradition that the first day of classes in the fall quarter, upperclassers would set up lawn chairs and watch the carnage as the frosh tried to negotiate the bike traffic circles.
Old 01-24-20, 12:49 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by caloso
Don't know if it is still a thing, but there was a tradition that the first day of classes in the fall quarter, upperclassers would set up lawn chairs and watch the carnage as the frosh tried to negotiate the bike traffic circles.
those kids were smart
Old 01-28-20, 08:19 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Track stands and slow speed balance are fun skills to work on from time to time. Trying something new is always a good time.
In HS I used to accompany girlfriends real or aspirational to their homes riding beside them at walking speed - fun on several levels!

But yes it developed low-speed riding skills, and skills of chatting with females!
Old 01-28-20, 12:59 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Any my thoughts on this?
that's nice you had a nice chat w/ a neighbor. I imagine riding & walking like that would be rare. feel bad you didn't get a more traditional ride in