Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

After how many miles a day do we get diminished returns with our fitness?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

After how many miles a day do we get diminished returns with our fitness?

Old 06-15-21, 07:03 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
So I'm not supposed to stop and have a pizza on my century ? What fun is that ? I'm coming up with my own definition and it will consist of a stop for a couple of hotdogs ....maybe a burger. Lon Haldeman (SP?) won a few ROM events by slamming Big Macs.
Old 06-15-21, 07:15 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
From both your words and the title of this thread: "After how many miles a day do we get diminished returns with our fitness?"

"fitness" -- not "diet" or "weight loss".

Is the OP seeking advice on how to lose weight? I may have missed that.

If so, is your advice then: "Better not ride hard or long, or you might get hungry and eat too much"?
I was only replying to one comment of the OP. I quoted the exact comment that I was addressing. Don't try to imagine them as a statement of how the OP should ride or train.

If we were to get together and discuss it, you'd probably find we agree more than disagree. However, while you seem to be looking at this thread as the OP looking for in depth training advice, I'm only looking at it as the OP trying to make small talk.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 06-15-21, 07:16 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4381 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 2,976 Posts
Originally Posted by Rdmonster69
So I'm not supposed to stop and have a pizza on my century ? What fun is that ? I'm coming up with my own definition and it will consist of a stop for a couple of hotdogs ....maybe a burger. Lon Haldeman (SP?) won a few ROM events by slamming Big Macs.
We all have different reasons to ride. For me it's a combination of fun, fitness, challenge and general sense of well-being. But the question was about diminishing returns on fitness. I would say a mid-ride pizza is an effective way of diminishing your return on fitness, but not a bad way to spend your day!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-15-21, 07:19 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I think you're assuming you are the norm here. This is a classic ymmv situation.
Are you the norm?

I just put out there my anecdotal experiences, views and opinions. So of course YMMV.

Even when people point to factual scientific study, many times what they are writing is their opinion of what the study says and means for the situation they are applying it too.

This is BF, a place to share views and opinions. If I wanted facts and scientific study, well, there are better sites for that.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 06-15-21, 07:23 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by terrymorse
"fitness" -- not "diet" or "weight loss".
When people casually talk about fitness I tend to think weight loss (or maintaining a healthy weight) is part and parcel of being fit. Obviously weight is only one aspect of fitness, but usually a pretty major one in the western world!
Old 06-15-21, 07:29 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Old 06-15-21, 07:31 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
1. https://www.bikeforums.net/training-nutrition/

2. Each person has different goals for riding a bicycle

3. Based on those goals, it's the aggregate of TIME and INTENSITY. Miles are like asking "how long is a piece of string".

Lastly, there's a lot of questions like this that boil down to people wanting some kind of answer to something not knowable without knowing their goals. I know a LOT of recreational riders that pour in 200+ "miles" a week just sucking wheel for hours at a time. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. But they always ask "why am I still slow" or some other variant of that complaint. Well, you ride for enjoyment. Do you want a different goal? Why not have enjoyment be the goal instead of something else if you don't need to?

If your goal isn't a specific racing discipline, we're making the topic more complicated than it needs to be.
Old 06-15-21, 07:35 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3401 Post(s)
Liked 3,531 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
I was lifting my fitness level to make my century with 12,000 ft more enjoyable.
That sounds like a great climbing century, what was it?

I enjoy (well, enjoyed--it's been many years) the centuries with 10,000+ feet.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 06-15-21, 07:59 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
We all have different reasons to ride. For me it's a combination of fun, fitness, challenge and general sense of well-being. But the question was about diminishing returns on fitness. I would say a mid-ride pizza is an effective way of diminishing your return on fitness, but not a bad way to spend your day!
Pizza is a great fitness food. Carbs and protein !! I will just eat a small one with lots of veggies.
Old 06-15-21, 08:19 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Rdmonster69
Pizza is a great fitness food. Carbs and protein !! I will just eat a small one with lots of veggies.
Good point. I was envisaging a typical huge NA pizza loaded full of meat and cheese. I do love a proper Italian pizza though.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-15-21, 08:44 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2970 Post(s)
Liked 1,177 Times in 768 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85
What's your opinion? Is it 40? 50? 70? 100? I have done 60 miles recently and 70, but I don't feel like there are many other benefits once you get past 40 or 50. I could be wrong. Maybe it's different for everybody? With cycling, you can't really customize the intensity of your whole ride as easily due to stop signs, different road conditions, hills, downhills, etc... The benefit of cycling is that it's more fun so you do it more. But minute per minute, hour per hour, there are more challenging workouts. Now going up a big hill is really a tough workout, but not all routes are going to be the same.

What you really want to know is what biking volume you should be doing to achieve your performance goals? It is a moving target depending on your goals.

And there is no such thing as junk mileage.
Old 06-15-21, 10:46 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I'd tend to think if you eat more because of that longer ride, then you probably are having to put out too much effort currently to do those longer rides.

Rides I do at very high to max efforts, I tend to eat back all the Calories I expended on the ride. When I ride at low to moderate efforts then I don't gorge myself on food for the next few days after the ride. This seems to be rides of any length for me. Though I've always felt that long rides of any sort let me lose weight. Maybe I just pace myself better on longer rides of 50 to 100 miles.

As for we in your title..... Do you think we all ride for the same reasons? I doubt many of us have the same reasons and desires for what and why we do it. So your bell curve you are trying to figure out might be really skewed.

Don't use we in your next title please. After all we are individuals with our own wants and needs. Being part of a controlled collective is not my desire.
Originally Posted by Iride01
Are you the norm?

I just put out there my anecdotal experiences, views and opinions. So of course YMMV.

Even when people point to factual scientific study, many times what they are writing is their opinion of what the study says and means for the situation they are applying it too.

This is BF, a place to share views and opinions. If I wanted facts and scientific study, well, there are better sites for that.

I've said many times, I'm a genetic freak. I'm definitely not the norm. My point is Norm is a character on Cheers, but there is no such person as :"the norm."

I was commenting on the chain of your comments, and I don't understand what "too much effort" means when you're talking about other people.

I try not to express opinions on other people's hunger, etc., based on my own experiences as I think these factors are too variable to have any idea whether my experience is even remotely related to theirs.

I do know your experience in this regard doesn't match mine, but my eating during ride habits are too weird for me to think they generalize to much of anyone.
Old 06-15-21, 10:53 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
The question posed by the OP doesn't concern calories in. He asks about the benefits of fairly high intensity aerobic exercise. This is a throw-away question, because there have been numerous scientific peer-reviewed studies, and countless publications on the topic. The more interesting question concerns how the OP uses bicycle riding as part of an overall fitness regimen tailored to his individual health needs. The rest is simply talk.

DreamRider85 has a particular style of starting discussion threads. If this is a conscious effort to come across a certain way and to stir up chatter, then there's a certain brilliance to it, I think. The staying in character thing especially. If it's not conscious, but simply a reflection of his mental state, then it's a sad thing. Either way, write whatever you will in response.

He simply get's my for each attempt.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 06-15-21, 12:24 PM
BikingViking793 

Bikes: 2015 Felt Z75 Disc, 2008 Fuji Cross Comp, 2010 Trek Navigator 1.0, 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1974 Schwinn Le Tour, 1981 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Surly Cross Check, 2021 Giant Talon 2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85
What's your opinion? Is it 40? 50? 70? 100? I have done 60 miles recently and 70, but I don't feel like there are many other benefits once you get past 40 or 50. I could be wrong. Maybe it's different for everybody? With cycling, you can't really customize the intensity of your whole ride as easily due to stop signs, different road conditions, hills, downhills, etc... The benefit of cycling is that it's more fun so you do it more. But minute per minute, hour per hour, there are more challenging workouts. Now going up a big hill is really a tough workout, but not all routes are going to be the same.
great question. I don’t have an answer, but am enjoying reading the responses. I would think from a training perspective there should be diminished returns at some point. But from a happiness perspective the more riding the better.
Likes For BikingViking793:
Old 06-15-21, 02:21 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
My previous answer was true for me, and since I ride longer distances I have to worry about how it affects me. I'm not going to go out and do a 300 or 400km ride for training, doesn't make sense to me. 20-35 miles is plenty for most of us. If a ride is much longer than that, quality is going to suffer. Before my first 1200km ride, I mostly did 20 mile training rides during the last 2 months and concentrated on getting faster. That was after a base of plenty of longer rides. There is something to be said for keeping fresh, and after you get a base, you aren't going to stay fresh by slogging through long rides.

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I can't even imagine riding a 400 km day, although I've come pretty close to 300 (270 km). I'm sure there are factors like body size, age, etc. that are beyond our control that would have an effect on our maximum potential.
I like to say anyone can ride 400km. However, on a less than stellar ride, I have taken almost the full randonneuring time limit, which is 27 hours. One such ride, I one-legged it for the final 20 miles because my knee hurt. Not recommended, but I'm not going to quit with that small of a distance remaining.
Old 06-15-21, 02:33 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
My previous answer was true for me, and since I ride longer distances I have to worry about how it affects me. I'm not going to go out and do a 300 or 400km ride for training, doesn't make sense to me. 20-35 miles is plenty for most of us. If a ride is much longer than that, quality is going to suffer. Before my first 1200km ride, I mostly did 20 mile training rides during the last 2 months and concentrated on getting faster. That was after a base of plenty of longer rides. There is something to be said for keeping fresh, and after you get a base, you aren't going to stay fresh by slogging through long rides.

I like to say anyone can ride 400km. However, on a less than stellar ride, I have taken almost the full randonneuring time limit, which is 27 hours. One such ride, I one-legged it for the final 20 miles because my knee hurt. Not recommended, but I'm not going to quit with that small of a distance remaining.

This is one of those things I find fascinating--lately things seem to work in reverse of that from me. My 25 mile rides didn't actually get faster until I started doing some fair amount of rides of about 100 miles. I have no idea why it works that way. I'm recovering from a lung injury from last fall, and maybe the compensation for the injury moves faster when I really push the distance.

Did your knee recover quickly?
Old 06-15-21, 04:22 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3401 Post(s)
Liked 3,531 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis

Ride Around the Bear, 100 miles with supposedly 10,000 ft. They changed the gain claims after Garmins became more popular. I think now they say it was 9800 ?

Breathless Agony, 114 miles 12,000 ft of gain.

Great rides, thanks for the profiles.

Maybe next year they'll be up and running again.

Another of my favorite 10,000+ foot rides is the Grizzly Century, out of North Fork, CA.

And according to the Fresno Cycling site, it's going to be operated this year, on October 2nd. Hope the fires stay away this year.

The Griz route.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 06-15-21, 04:46 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,899 Posts
if i don't do equal or longer length rides prior to a set ride distance, I lag & may huff a little on the climbs.
Doesnt matter (within reason) how long those pre-long rides take, just so long as I go the distance. I can do a slew of smaller rides, & it will not set me up for success to the longer one ride I am after. The body just makes life difficult.
Old 06-15-21, 10:30 PM
Aroyobob

Bikes: Trek 460, Trek 1420, Schwin High Sierra

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
The question posed by the OP doesn't concern calories in. He asks about the benefits of fairly high intensity aerobic exercise. This is a throw-away question, because there have been numerous scientific peer-reviewed studies, and countless publications on the topic. The more interesting question concerns how the OP uses bicycle riding as part of an overall fitness regimen tailored to his individual health needs. The rest is simply talk.

DreamRider85 has a particular style of starting discussion threads. If this is a conscious effort to come across a certain way and to stir up chatter, then there's a certain brilliance to it, I think. The staying in character thing especially. If it's not conscious, but simply a reflection of his mental state, then it's a sad thing. Either way, write whatever you will in response.

He simply get's my for each attempt.
He/They do seem to have a talent.

Likes For Aroyobob:
Old 06-19-21, 10:18 AM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
Riding longer distances, say 50 or 60 miles, gets you in shape for riding those distances. I'll bet that there is little difference in overall physical fitness between a person riding 30 miles regularly and a person riding 60. When I hike or ski or ride with others we all appear to be in that category called "fit," yet we do all kinds of different activities for pleasure and exrcise and at different levels of intensity.
Old 06-19-21, 12:34 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by jackb
I'll bet that there is little difference in overall physical fitness between a person riding 30 miles regularly and a person riding 60.
Depends how you define overall fitness. I would have thought, all other things being equal, the person riding 60 miles will have more endurance fitness than the one only riding 30 miles (which you kind of implied in your first sentence). There is probably some diminishing return, but my training plan for endurance rides of around 100 miles certainly includes training rides much longer than 30 miles. Obviously non of this matters if you don't need that extra endurance fitness.
Old 06-19-21, 02:51 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,377 Times in 2,729 Posts
Originally Posted by Aroyobob
He/They do seem to have a talent.

Every time I see one of these compilations of OP's threads I'm reminded how impressive it is that he has continued to contemplate cycling when confronted by so many obstacles!
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-19-21, 04:06 PM
fredlord

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Last year I was doing 120 - 200 fairly cruisy kilometres every weekend and very little in-between.

This year I'm making myself do 30 hard kilometres five days a week.

I feel much happier (like, ridiculously happier) and much more powerful and fit this year. A host of bodily niggles seems to have vanished, my weight has dropped, and I can't stop palpating my legs and arse and marvelling at how muscly they feel! My lungs feel 1.5 times their normal size. When not riding, I feel like I have an enormous store of energy to draw from.

ymmv
Old 06-21-21, 10:34 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Every time I see one of these compilations of OP's threads I'm reminded how impressive it is that he has continued to contemplate cycling when confronted by so many obstacles!
It's obvious that the thread titles are contrived, and brilliantly so. I imagine that he spends hours contemplating just the right phrasing. This is superior work, and should be recognized as such. I wonder if there are international awards for this sort of ... thing.
Old 06-21-21, 10:59 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,496 Times in 3,343 Posts
If you are planning on riding in a 4,200 mile bike race over about 16 1/2 days...
Or you are planning on riding in a grand tour with 21 days, and stages from around 100 to 150 miles at an average speed of just under 25 MPH.

Then you should be fine training riding around a park 20 miles once a week. There is no possible way to improve your fitness and preparedness.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.