Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.3

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.3

Old 08-06-21, 08:04 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,487 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Really? Those tricky bastards.
Yep. Around here they are pretty brazen. Not all that afraid of human presence.
Old 08-06-21, 08:07 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,985 Times in 4,452 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Ok, we are going to be in LA starting in 1 week and I do want to download some possible routes onto my Garmin as I will likely NOT be taking my computer with me.

Any tips on finding/choosing a good route online? Reminder we are staying in West LA so my inclination is to head out to some of the gorges north of Malibu (eg Latigo/Gibraltar) but I am open to other options.
Are you going to be limited to riding from your hotel or will you be using a car to get to ride starts? You can ride from West LA to Latigo Canyon, for example, but the traffic on that part of PCH is awful, imho. It would be fun to start at the bottom of Latigo or someplace in that area and go up one of the canyons and descend a different one.
Gibraltar is much further, near Santa Barbara. A great ride for climbers but you need a car.
Consider the weather, too. It's coolling down this weekend but if it goes back up the climbs from the coast will be brutal, unless you start very early. It can be nice at the coast but the temperature will climb rapidly just a few miles inland. This may be ok depending on how acclimated you are and if you know where to get water.

If it's too hot you can stay at the shore and ride to Point Mugu or go the other way to Palos Verdes. That way (south) is where all the people are but still some good riding.
Old 08-06-21, 08:07 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20803 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
My bigger concern is how easy it can be to get hurt by a motorist in SoCal.

#SafetyFirst
Maybe you can see if Phil Gaimon is still hiring himself out as a local guide. I hear that he likes to climb, so that's right in your wheelhouse.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-06-21, 08:18 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,849 Times in 6,066 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
South Carolina?
Lord, no. Pennsylvania, though the part of it that might as well be South Carolina.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-06-21, 08:19 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28576 Post(s)
Liked 1,849 Times in 1,313 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Lord, no. Pennsylvania, though the part of it that might as well be South Carolina.
I meant the peaches.
Old 08-06-21, 08:21 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

I meant the peaches.
So did I.this is orchard country. Why would we IMPORT peaches? Coals to Newcastle.

Old 08-06-21, 08:26 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22571 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Are you going to be limited to riding from your hotel or will you be using a car to get to ride starts? You can ride from West LA to Latigo Canyon, for example, but the traffic on that part of PCH is awful, imho. It would be fun to start at the bottom of Latigo or someplace in that area and go up one of the canyons and descend a different one.
Gibraltar is much further, near Santa Barbara. A great ride for climbers but you need a car.
Consider the weather, too. It's coolling down this weekend but if it goes back up the climbs from the coast will be brutal, unless you start very early. It can be nice at the coast but the temperature will climb rapidly just a few miles inland. This may be ok depending on how acclimated you are and if you know where to get water.

If it's too hot you can stay at the shore and ride to Point Mugu or go the other way to Palos Verdes. That way (south) is where all the people are but still some good riding.
First order of business is getting the bike, which is in Sherman Oaks. I will get an Uber or other mode to get there and ride the bike to where we are staying in West LA. Google says best way is via Sepulveda BLVD. Anything with a name like BLVD makes me wonder, is that bike-friendly?
Old 08-06-21, 08:33 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by genejockey
So did I.this is orchard country. Why would we IMPORT peaches? Coals to Newcastle.
I've never seen a peach from PA.
Old 08-06-21, 08:34 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

LOL

Likes For Velo Vol:
Old 08-06-21, 08:46 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20803 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Awesome. So is this the actual dude or is this just a bit? Brilliant either way, but an extra heaping of kudos if he's the dude.

edit: okay - just a comedic bit. Still awesome.
Old 08-06-21, 08:58 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

We have a peach tree. It produces juicy and super-sweet fruit, somewhere around 25 pounds or so. However it's only good fruit for about 1 week, and I am askeered that it will happen the week we are away in LA.
Old 08-06-21, 09:10 AM
big john

First order of business is getting the bike, which is in Sherman Oaks. I will get an Uber or other mode to get there and ride the bike to where we are staying in West LA. Google says best way is via Sepulveda BLVD. Anything with a name like BLVD makes me wonder, is that bike-friendly?
Yes, Sepulveda from the Sherman Oaks area south is fine. You climb over the pass and there is a tunnel at the top but it's not a problem tunnel. When you descend the other side eventually you come to Constitution Ave, @ the Veteran's Cemetery. There, you turn right which gets you away from traffic. The road takes you through the VA hospital and you end up on San Vicente, which is a bike friendly route to the beach. I don't know where you are staying but San Vicente is a good way to get West.
WLA VA Hospital - Google Maps

You definitely want to avoid Sunset Blvd and Wilshire Blvd. If you take San Vicente to Ocean (the end of San Vicente) you can use Ocean to go south. It's busy but not fast and there is a bike lane.

Last edited by big john; 08-06-21 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-06-21, 09:12 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

We have a peach tree. It produces juicy and super-sweet fruit, somewhere around 25 pounds or so. However it's only good fruit for about 1 week, and I am askeered that it will happen the week we are away in LA.
More goodies for the groundhog.
Old 08-06-21, 09:31 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Yes, Sepulveda from the Sherman Oaks area south is fine. You climb over the pass and there is a tunnel at the top but it's not a problem tunnel. When you descend the other side eventually you come to Constitution Ave, @ the Veteran's Cemetery. There, you turn right which gets you away from traffic. The road takes you through the VA hospital and you end up on San Vicente, which is a bike friendly route to the beach. I don't know where you are staying but San Vicente is a good way to get West.
WLA VA Hospital - Google Maps

You definitely want to avoid Sunset Blvd and Wilshire Blvd. If you take San Vicente to Ocean (the end of San Vicente) you can use Ocean to go south. It's busy but not fast and there is a bike lane.
Got it. Good info. Thanks!

We are staying in an Air BnB house that is near the intersection of Tennessee and Kelton. I am told it's a decent neighborhood. The house looks gorgeous, at least online.
Old 08-06-21, 09:34 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts

"Mmmmmmmummify yo ass."

That's some funny stuff.
Old 08-06-21, 09:41 AM
big john

We are staying in an Air BnB house that is near the intersection of Tennessee and Kelton. I am told it's a decent neighborhood. The house looks gorgeous, at least online.
Oh, so you're east of the freeway. I was thinking you were west. Still, I would avoid Sepulveda past the VA/Wilshire Blvd area. I never ride that area but let me see if I can come up with a bike friendly way to get through those last few miles.
Old 08-06-21, 09:41 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

More goodies for the groundhog.
That thing is NEVER going to leave. I believe it has a home under our outdoor shed.
Old 08-06-21, 09:43 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Oh, so you're east of the freeway. I was thinking you were west. Still, I would avoid Sepulveda past the VA/Wilshire Blvd area. I never ride that area but let me see if I can come up with a bike friendly way to get through those last few miles.
Google Maps has me looping around the VA and then taking Santa Monica BLVD (just for a few blocks, then Veteran Ave). I am open to suggestions.
Old 08-06-21, 09:43 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

You probably did without knowing it. It's not like they wave flags.

Old 08-06-21, 09:44 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts

Are you going to visit the Rodeo Drive shops? Not very practical by any means, but fun to gauke and see celebs if you're into that.

We strolled through that area some time ago while on a vacation, and went into a well-known watch store. I asked to look at one that was in a stand alone case, and while they had it out the security guard stood about a foot behind me. As I was looking at it, I casually asked the price and was told $600. I told the sales person that it was very nice and that I appreciated her letting me have a look. As we left, my daughter (about 13 at the time) asked why I didn't buy it since it was so cool and only $300. The look on her face when I told her that it was $600,000 was priceless.

In another store not far from there, we were looking at watches again and my son started talking to the sales guy about tennis since he was playing a lot at the time. The guy asked him if he would like to see the watch Nadal was wearing then, and pulled one out of the case. He let my son (age 10) try it on, and told him it was only $250,000. I was astounded that he let my son even touch it.

Things are very different out there than what I'm used to.
Old 08-06-21, 09:46 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

According to my orchard-owning friends here, peaches now run from late June to September, whereas they used to be just 2 weeks in August. More varieties.

Old 08-06-21, 09:54 AM
big john

Google Maps has me looping around the VA and then taking Santa Monica BLVD (just for a few blocks, then Veteran Ave). I am open to suggestions.
I was thinking Montana (from Sepulveda before the VA) to Veteran but I have sent an e-mail to a friend who lives near there to ask about it. Might work.

Some of those roads in West LA are big and busy but have room for bikes and are not intimidating. Some of them suck.
Old 08-06-21, 10:04 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by Mojo31
Are you going to visit the Rodeo Drive shops? Not very practical by any means, but fun to gauke and see celebs if you're into that.

We strolled through that area some time ago while on a vacation, and went into a well-known watch store. I asked to look at one that was in a stand alone case, and while they had it out the security guard stood about a foot behind me. As I was looking at it, I casually asked the price and was told $600. I told the sales person that it was very nice and that I appreciated her letting me have a look. As we left, my daughter (about 13 at the time) asked why I didn't buy it since it was so cool and only $300. The look on her face when I told her that it was $600,000 was priceless.

In another store not far from there, we were looking at watches again and my son started talking to the sales guy about tennis since he was playing a lot at the time. The guy asked him if he would like to see the watch Nadal was wearing then, and pulled one out of the case. He let my son (age 10) try it on, and told him it was only $250,000. I was astounded that he let my son even touch it.

Things are very different out there than what I'm used to.
We might, but neither mrs datlas nor I are big into celebrities OR shopping, so maybe not. Main goal is to get daughter #2 into her dorm and set up. I do plan to get in some cycling and mrs datlas is a culture vulture so we will have to see some museums etc., but we are there for 8 days so I am guessing we will also do some other "touristy" things, covid19 permitting.
Old 08-06-21, 10:09 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Something has been getting into our garden/compost pile.

Today, mrs datlas found the culprit:

p.s. btw if any serious gardeners are looking, you might notice my asparagus patch to the right of the fence.
Jackie!

Likes For seedsbelize:
Old 08-06-21, 10:12 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10147 Post(s)
Liked 5,840 Times in 3,144 Posts
PA peaches are very good.
Likes For MoAlpha:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.