Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Converting a bicycle into a stationary excercise bike

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Old 10-05-21, 07:44 PM
Funkywheels63

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Hello all, I have a street bike, and I'm interested in converting it into a stationary bike so that I can exercise indoors during the winter months. can someone give me some info. on how I can go about this? I've seen some gadgets on amazon where I can do this, but don't know if they would be compatible with my bike. Thanks
Old 10-05-21, 07:56 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 411 Times in 317 Posts
Howdy, think an indoor trainer will do just fine for your needs.
Old 10-05-21, 08:41 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,577 Times in 910 Posts
Theres so many options it's nigh impossible to sum them all up. Suffice to say, the World is your oyster.

All the rage these days is a direct mount trainer such as a Saris H3, a Wahoo Kickr, Tacx Neo, etc...Frequently people pair them up to Zwift by way of the bluetooth connection of their home computer connected to a large TV through an HDMI cable or via an app on their phone via their phone/tv screen share function. There are ANT+ usb dongles available for where bluetooth is spotty or unsupported by the device running the Zwift app.

Another option is controlling the direct drive trainer by way of a Garmin or similar bicycle computer. It's not hard & requires either manually creating a workout or selecting a previous real world ride to convert. Entertain yourself with movies & music while the trainer does it's thing based on whatever the head unit commands.

I'm told you can even run a real world converted route through a 3rd party website (unremembered by me at this time) & upload the 3rd party generated file to a Google Earth type of scenario. I have never been inclined to try it though. I am curious if any forum members have input &/or success. It sounds like it could be fun. It is entirely possible I could be mis-remembering a cool "what-if" discussion at the pub after a ride.

Many magnetic trainers can be controlled by the Zwift or Garmin type head unit. They are the cheapest of all controlled options.

The ol' stand by is a fluid trainer, & videos on the CTX or GCN channels of the Youtube. Cheap but not very interactive. Plan on 1 or 2 replacement trainer tires per year if you are even moderately strong & ride reasonably often. The Elite Traveltrac Fluid trainers are available on the usual craigslist type sites for a song, anymore. The world has mostly moved on to Zwift using externally controllable types trainers. To use Zwift with a non-controllable trainer, you'll need a power meter such as a Quarq or PowerTap or any other competing meter & some combination of speed/cadence sensors that will pair to the Zwift app running device. Your game avatar will move about the game world, but there will be zero interactivity unless it is a pair-able, wheel-on, magnetic type.

There are reasons you would do so. Like if your Garmin Vector pedal'd commuter bike had an internal gear hub & could not be made compatible with a direct mount trainer, for example.

The cool kids will tell you to use rollers. I'll leave it to them to tell you why they are so great.

Last edited by base2; 10-06-21 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-06-21, 09:41 AM
Funkywheels63

Originally Posted by Rage
Howdy, think an indoor trainer will do just fine for your needs.
I don't have any space for any exercise equipment, hence I'm trying to get two purposes out of one. but thanks anyway.
Old 10-06-21, 09:54 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,577 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by Funkywheels63
I don't have any space for any exercise equipment, hence I'm trying to get two purposes out of one. but thanks anyway.
I don't think you understand. The bicycle mounts to the trainer. It takes up exactly the amount of space as one bicycle.

How much room does a bicycle use?

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 10-08-21, 07:35 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
Something we need to know about your "street bike" is the type of rear axle retention it has. Is it nuts you tighten with a wrench, a quick release lever type, or a through axle type?
For that matter, what bike do you have?
Old 10-08-21, 09:45 PM
Funkywheels63

I'm planning on getting a hybrid bike, I won't know till I get it. when I do, will update the info. Thanks
Old 10-09-21, 08:09 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
you mean like this??? This takes up roughly 6.5 ft x 3 ft

Of course you can go this route too... We just go this as I got tired of moving cassettes and bike around when my wife wanted to use it. This is an easy adjustment for our specific settings.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 10-09-21 at 08:17 PM.
Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 10-09-21, 08:19 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

I'm planning on getting a hybrid bike, I won't know till I get it. when I do, will update the info. Thanks

Most likely a QR or through axle.

Old 10-09-21, 08:20 PM
Funkywheels63

I was thinking more along this,-sorry for the humongous picture.
Old 10-10-21, 07:38 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Yes that will work for you. Most 700c wheel bikes will fit in that trainer. If your bike has a quick release rear wheel you are good to go. If you don't have quick release then you will need to make sure the trainer has the accessory kit that you can adapt to another style of axle.
Old 10-10-21, 10:46 AM
Funkywheels63

Just picked up the bike this morning. it's a used hybrid bike. it has front and back quick release. the chain is kinda rusty, and one of the shifters is missing a cover. the handle bar has some oxidation on it. otherwise, the bike appears to ride ok. here's a couple of pics.

Old 10-10-21, 06:32 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 127 Posts
The Wahoo Kickr Snap I think is as good as it gets for a wheel-on trainer. If you can afford it, it's a very good trainer experience, especially paired with something like Zwift ($) or RGT (free)
Likes For Viich:
Old 10-10-21, 10:15 PM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by Viich
The Wahoo Kickr Snap I think is as good as it gets for a wheel-on trainer. If you can afford it, it's a very good trainer experience, especially paired with something like Zwift ($) or RGT (free)

Used to have one and can confirm a solid option and worth a look. Take a look on Ebay, I sold mine there at a much reduced cost. Sometimes Wahoo will have refurbed versions at a discount as well.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 11-03-21, 07:22 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,165 Times in 762 Posts
I have this. Takes up very little room.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224460414599