Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Need suggestion for vehicle to carry tandem

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Need suggestion for vehicle to carry tandem

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-12, 07:43 PM
Ritterview
Tandem Vincitur

Bikes: BMC Pro Machine SLC01, Specialized Globe, Burley Rock 'N Roll tandem, Calfee Dragonfly tandem.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Dodge Sprinter Van?
The Dodge Sprinter was last produced in 2009. It is a commercial vehicle. So, yes, a tandem will fit, but this is in the opposite direction of smaller and more car like.

Hmmmm...the Buick Enclave looks like a possibility, if the removal of the third row seats will allow space through to the front. The vehicle length is 202 inches, which is around the length to put it in the running.

Strava Tandem Club
Old 11-27-12, 09:31 PM
Team Fab

Bikes: Comotion Supremo, Trek T1000, Comotion Supremo Triple

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Hey ritterview did you think a tandem would fit in the 2013 Pathfinder on a angle across with one of the seats still up? I would love to find a non-minivan option.
Old 11-27-12, 11:07 PM
Ritterview
Tandem Vincitur

Bikes: BMC Pro Machine SLC01, Specialized Globe, Burley Rock 'N Roll tandem, Calfee Dragonfly tandem.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Team Fab
Hey ritterview did you think a tandem would fit in the 2013 Pathfinder on a angle across with one of the seats still up? I would love to find a non-minivan option.
Do you mean like this? There are probably lots of problems, and it would be quite ungainly in comparison to having it straight down the middle. I think efforts should go in such direction only when it is determined that no crossover will take it straight up.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Like this.jpg (13.1 KB, 105 views)

Strava Tandem Club
Old 11-28-12, 10:08 AM
Krenovian

Bikes: Hers: Volagi Liscio, Kestrel 200 SCI, Niner Jet9 RDO, Ellsworth Truth. His: Kestrel 200 EMS, Niner Jet9, Psyclewerks Wild Hare. Ours: Paketa V2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ritterview
The Dodge Sprinter was last produced in 2009. It is a commercial vehicle. So, yes, a tandem will fit, but this is in the opposite direction of smaller and more car like.

New Sprinter vans are available badged as a Freightliner or Mercedes. They are built in Dusseldorf by Mercedes-Benz, shipped to Landon, SC with the body off the chasis, then reassembled. They were then badged as Dodge or Freightliner prior to the breakup of Daimler-Chrysler, now badged as Freightliner or Mercedes. Mercedes-Benz owns Freightliner. The passenger versions are shipped complete. The commercial vans are reassembled here to avoid paying a hefty import tariff which isn't applied to passenger vehicles. Similar situation exists with the small Ford Transit commercial van. They are built in Turkey, shipped to the East Coast with side windows and a passenger seat in the rear so they qualify as a passenger vehicle to avoid the tariff. At a dockside plant, the windows are knocked out and metal panels glued in, the rear seats are removed and ground up and the "passenger" van exits the plant as a commercial vehicle.

As I posted earlier in this thread, we own a 2008 Dodge badged Sprinter in the 144 wheelbase as Ritterview has pictured. It is the most comfortable of our three vehicles to drive. I have converted it to a camper. We carry our two road bikes and two mountain bikes on a full extension rollout tray beneath the elevated bed in the back of the van. The tandem will fit down the middle easily with a fork clamp that mounts between to the two logistics tracks in the floor to stabilize it. Definitely not moving in the direction of smaller and more car like and it won't fit into our garage as we have the high roof version, yet we can park in a standard size parking space and my wife has no problem parallel parking it. We don't use it as an everyday driver but we know other Sprinter owners that do. Like riding a tandem, the Sprinter always attracts people who want to check it out where ever we go.

Curtis

Last edited by Krenovian; 11-28-12 at 10:11 AM.
Old 11-28-12, 10:25 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
I believe the Enclave is essentially the same vehicle as a GMC Acadia, withe the Acadia being better styled (to my taste) and I think a bit cheaper.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 11-28-12, 12:04 PM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I really like the idea of a Sprinter van but even with rather high mileage they pull in some big dollars. I've seriously considered one as they get pretty good fuel mileage for a truck. My brother has one of the earlier models with the 5-cylinder engine and he gets in the 22-25 MPG range whether he's lightly loaded or heavily loaded. After my house is finished being paid off (about a year from now), I'll sell my 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD (diesel engine) and probably the VW Golf TDI (also a diesel engine) and use it as our sole vehicle. As my wife will no longer be working at that point therefore not needing a car for work, and since I don't drive to work, I think that plan will be a good solution for us.
Old 11-28-12, 12:21 PM
Team Fab

Bikes: Comotion Supremo, Trek T1000, Comotion Supremo Triple

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Hi Ritterview, just like that. We used to do that with our tandem in our old GMC Safari(someone behind me did not notice the red light afterwards you could see 1 inch of daylight at every door-they are not very tough) take out the third bench put the tandem complete on a angle and still have seating for two on middle bench-three if small people or short distance. So if that would work in the pathfinder I would be fine with it. Although, will have to find a way to transport the triple we bought in the summer )-; other than the parents motor home. On that subject anyone know if a triple(comotion) will fit in a Sienna back wheel on?
Old 11-28-12, 02:31 PM
jnbrown

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 52 Posts
Ended up buying a 2010 Sienna with 22K miles for $18,000.
It was a lease return bought from a broker in L.A.
Old 11-28-12, 02:36 PM
Krenovian

Bikes: Hers: Volagi Liscio, Kestrel 200 SCI, Niner Jet9 RDO, Ellsworth Truth. His: Kestrel 200 EMS, Niner Jet9, Psyclewerks Wild Hare. Ours: Paketa V2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
@photogravity,
You may already know of this forum but if not, it is the best site out there for information about Sprinter vans. https://sprinter-source.com/forum/

Curtis

Last edited by Krenovian; 11-28-12 at 02:40 PM.
Old 11-28-12, 03:55 PM
Ritterview
Tandem Vincitur

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
I believe the Enclave is essentially the same vehicle as a GMC Acadia, withe the Acadia being better styled (to my taste) and I think a bit cheaper.
Verily. Evidently, the Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia and Chevrolet Traverse all share the same 119" wheelbase platform. They have slight differences in length and height.

........................................Length..............................Height.................. Wheelbase
Buick Enclave........................201.9"..............................70.3".....................119"
GMC Acadia...........................200.8".............................70.4".....................119"
Chevrolet Traverse.................203.".............................. 69.9"....................119"

The interior of the GMC Acadia looks the same in configuration as the Enclave. From a tandem perspective, it is likely they there is little to choose between them, aside from style and price. It looks like the rear seats were not designed to be removed, and thus their necessary removal for a tandem would be a modification.

Strava Tandem Club
Old 07-05-13, 02:58 PM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

This has probably been covered before, but I can't seem to find it after a quick search. My wife and I just purchased a Sprinter and we want to secure it in the van sitting upright with both wheels and fenders in place. What is out there that can hold a wheel or wheels and still keep the tandem from toppling over? I want to basically load the tandem as is, nothing removed. I seem to remember there being something that folks used that would hold down the wheel(s) and keep the bike upright. Remember that my bikes also have fenders and I do not want to remove them to haul the bicycle.
Old 07-05-13, 05:23 PM
diabloridr

Bikes: Co-Motion Macchiato, Calfee Dragonfly, Ancient Sun Fixie, Trek 5900

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by photogravity
What is out there that can hold a wheel or wheels and still keep the tandem from toppling over? I want to basically load the tandem as is, nothing removed. I seem to remember there being something that folks used that would hold down the wheel(s) and keep the bike upright. Remember that my bikes also have fenders and I do not want to remove them to haul the bicycle.
The simplest method would be simply to use straps attached to whatever tie-down points exist.

Although not what you asked, I would use a fork mount but attach it to its base in such a way that the the fork was was supported high enough that the fender was not an issue. This method would be very stable and fool proof.
Old 07-05-13, 07:02 PM
Abram

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I use a strap that came with a roof rack that grabs the handlebars and connects them to the captain seat post to avoid the front wheel from turning. Then bungee from the captain seat post to either side of the vehicle (handles at the roof line). The rear of the bike is between two middle row seats, and can't really go anywhere. But for extra secure hold, I'll add bungees to either side around the middle row seat head rests.
Old 07-05-13, 07:03 PM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Originally Posted by diabloridr
The simplest method would be simply to use straps attached to whatever tie-down points exist.

Although not what you asked, I would use a fork mount but attach it to its base in such a way that the the fork was was supported high enough that the fender was not an issue. This method would be very stable and fool proof.
Actually, the fork mount attached to a base is a great idea. I can build a small platform, place the fork mount on the platform and I'll be golden. I may not have time to build it for a trip we're planning next weekend, so I can just strap it down for this trip. Thanks for the input diabloridr!
Old 07-05-13, 07:56 PM
ksisler

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jnbrown
We normally transport our tandem on top of 1998 Toyota Sienna using a tandem topper rack.
It has 210,000 miles on it and is consuming a lot of oil so it may die soon.
Lately I have been putting the tandem inside by sliding it sideways on top of a piece of hardboard on top the folded down seats.
This is much easier than putting it on top which can be problematic when my back problems flare up, also avoids the wind noise and reduced mpg with it on top.
I could take out two seats and put a fork mount inside which would be better, but removing the seats is a PIA and also not great for my back.
We have been looking for a vehicle to replace the Sienna and test drove:

Subaru Outback
Hyundai Santa Fe
Kia Sportage
Ford Escape
Mazda CX-5

The Subaru appeals to us the most, but we would not be able to fit the tandem inside. It rides somewhat rougher than our Sienna but gets about 5 mpg better.
The main problem I have with the Outback is the seats are not very comfortable compared to the Sienna (My back problems again).
I like the better mpg of Outback for commuting and trips where we won't be carrying the tandem.
My understanding is that putting the tandem on top would reduce mpg drastically so carrying the tandem on the Outback would be no better than the Sienna and possiby worse.
A new Outback is going cost $25,500 and I can a slightly used Sienna for around $21,000.
I have a Toyota Camry XLE (GREAT CAR) that I normally drive to work.
We only use the Sienna for carrying the bikes and other stuff. My wife normally takes the train to work but drives during the winter to avoid the sick people on the train.
I am thinking another Sienna makes more sense. The Outback appeals to me for the MPG, cool factor and something different. It has AWD but living in San Diego we would rarely need it.
The newer Sienna has the rear seats that fold down into the floor, so it would be much easier to switch bewteen carrying the tandem or passengers.
Recommend a Chrysler Town and County with the middle and rear seats down on one side.
Old 07-07-13, 08:22 PM
Jakspot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have a Ford Expedition EL. Fits the tandem with the front wheel off and still has seating for four. Third row seats fold down and don't have to be removed. The wife was not yet ready to settle for a mini van.
Old 07-08-13, 01:10 AM
WesleyEng.com

Bikes: Pacific Dualie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use an Outlander Sport. Should probably tie some hot pink ribbons on the wheels though. Just gotta be a little bit extra careful when driving. It's not as bad in person, only half of the wheel sticks out on each side, but then again, my vehicle is a small crossover so it's pretty narrow to begin with. I love the 8.5" of ground clearance though. It gives me plenty of room to back down and drive up ramps/driveways, sidewalks without worrying about my bike rack scraping.
Old 07-08-13, 10:27 AM
davidfrench

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As mentioned in another discussion, it would be great to have the Nissan NV350 in the US
https://www.autoevolution.com/news-g-...tos/63221.html
Old 07-08-13, 12:26 PM
Ritterview
Tandem Vincitur

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WesleyEng.com
It's not as bad in person, only half of the wheel sticks out on each side...

Tooling around Manhattan with the >3/4 of the tandem wheels hanging out on each side. What could go wrong?

Strava Tandem Club
Old 07-08-13, 08:10 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
May be possible, but I don't think I'll be trying to cram our Screamer inside the Mazda 5. Rides atop the car, with seats and front wheel inside.
Old 07-12-13, 10:16 AM
Bent In El Paso

Bikes: Co-Motion Speedster Co-Pilot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is how we transport our bike for local rides. For longer trips it is disassembled and transported in two travel cases.

Attached Images
File Type: png
Tandem on Jeep at Ft Davis.PNG (91.5 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg
Tandem on Jeep at Ft Davis.jpg (36.7 KB, 115 views)

Last edited by Bent In El Paso; 07-12-13 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-27-21, 09:59 AM
WesleyEng.com

Bikes: Pacific Dualie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bike Rack https://amzn.to/2X2LvDd