Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Another $150 Million for Rad

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-21, 02:55 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts

Looks like Rad Power has secured another influx of capital from their investors. Doesn't appear (to me) as though the $340 million or so (total) has manifested itself in better products. In fact, the Aventon Adventurer seems like a better bike than anything they have to offer.
Old 11-01-21, 04:16 PM
FREEBIRD1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 106 Posts
Their bikes look pretty nice, but why on earth do they put the thumb throttle on the left side? If I owned one, I would have to change it over, every motorcycle, e-bike and scooter I have, has the throttle on the right side.
Likes For FREEBIRD1:
Old 11-01-21, 11:20 PM
2old

Possibly because the rear derailleur shift lever is on the right, and with the brake lever might be a problem activating it.
Old 11-02-21, 08:01 AM
Sempervee

Bikes: Cannondale Quick Disk 5 & Rad Power Mini

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 25 Posts
If RAD were a public company I would be buying stock. They are the current Best of Breed of the wild wild west of the ebike market that has continued to grow. I think the Rad City 5 is one of their best new products. We have both Mini's and City Ebikes. Their supply chain is getting much better and their growth is exponential. WHY they stay in the lead is they really are great at customer service. The few problems I had were rapidly addressed via warranty.
Likes For Sempervee:
Old 11-02-21, 03:25 PM
FREEBIRD1

Originally Posted by 2old
Possibly because the rear derailleur shift lever is on the right, and with the brake lever might be a problem activating it.
I personally could never get used of the left throttle, the right hand twist is almost intuitive on every motorcycle.mini-bike,ATV I ever sit on. Too many decades of this type of control for me, can you imagine reversing the pedals on your car? YIKES!
Likes For FREEBIRD1:
Old 11-02-21, 05:11 PM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Bikes: Fuji Del Rey, Bacchetta Giro 20, RANS Stratus XP XL, RANS Stratus XP XXL, RANS Stratus LE XL

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 38 Posts
I’m with 2old, and quite prefer having the [half]twist throttle on the left side so as not to interfere with shifting on the right. Though I’ve got both right and left half twists on my dual hub drive ecumbent and it’s not a problem at all in that particular setup.
Likes For andychrist:
Old 11-02-21, 06:41 PM
2old

As with Andy, my first DIY rear hub conversion had a left thumb throttle. Even with years of motorcycling, it wasn't a problem. Guess I don't develop habits well.
Old 11-04-21, 09:21 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
They have their own wheel size so not standard so if you get a puncture you are kinda SOL but more money for Rad I guess. Easier way to make a million just get people using your product use odd proprietary stuff and keep them locked in till they try something better. That rad-wagon is like riding a potato, you would think with 3.0 tires it would ride better than a Specialized Albi with solid tires that are way way way narrower but alas they were pretty equal with some points in the Albi's favor because you know it is going to be a poor ride there is no air down there.

I will say a small point in Radpowers favor is among the cheap bikes they do have slightly better service, not that you are getting quality components or a long warranty window but they seem to be a little better than others who are terrible.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 11-05-21, 02:46 PM
FREEBIRD1

Which model takes the proprietary size tires? my buddy changed his RAD City tires, and my Mission takes standard 650X45 B (27.5X1.90) tires?
Likes For FREEBIRD1:
Old 11-07-21, 11:50 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
Jeez, $150M, and one could start a dozen companies importing chinese made bikes. Or is the money going into brick and mortar show rooms, and support staff? And liability insurance. That might fall under its own weight. Will folks buy Rad's if they have to tack on $500 per bike for the real world prescence?
Likes For Doc_Wui:
Old 11-09-21, 06:43 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Originally Posted by FREEBIRD1
Which model takes the proprietary size tires? my buddy changed his RAD City tires, and my Mission takes standard 650X45 B (27.5X1.90) tires?
The rad-wagon at least but probably others in the line? If you go to their website you can find a link for their 22" tires but it doesn't say what models specifically.
Old 11-09-21, 07:12 PM
Sempervee

Bikes: Cannondale Quick Disk 5 & Rad Power Mini

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
Jeez, $150M, and one could start a dozen companies importing chinese made bikes. Or is the money going into brick and mortar show rooms, and support staff? And liability insurance. That might fall under its own weight. Will folks buy Rad's if they have to tack on $500 per bike for the real world prescence?
OK, I'll take the other side of this argument since I have used RAD warranty and seen them in action in person. THEY do have over 100 openings for personnel at at levels for all types of career positions. From what I have seen and read, and I am retired and invested searching for the end of the internet a very focused person when interested in something and trying to take a lot of info in. From what I see RAD is doing a lot well. Upgrading their model line and pursing expansion. I am reminded this ebike is much like cars in the early 1900's trying to become competitive brands.
Likes For Sempervee:
Old 11-09-21, 07:20 PM
2old

IMO, the fact that investors are interested in RAD is a sign their business is in good hands since investors don't like to "gamble" their resources on losing propositions. Maybe RAD will use some of the funds to backward integrate and improve the quality and cost of their products. Be nice to see some lightweight, relatively low power products.
Old 11-09-21, 09:36 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
I agree that venture caps expect to see a return, but where would you put a second $150M to work? Think they will build an ebike factory in North America?
Likes For Doc_Wui:
Old 11-10-21, 12:03 AM
2old

Maybe a battery factory like Tesla. Doubt they''ll manufacture motors, but maybe assemble them with "imported" components like some foreign manufacturers or perhaps assemble bikes.