Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

What are the brightest taillights at reasonable price now?

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

What are the brightest taillights at reasonable price now?

Old 12-28-21, 07:23 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Not sure who you're asking...is it me?
Yes, what experience do you have with runtimes?
Old 12-28-21, 07:40 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,875 Times in 4,639 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Yes, what experience do you have with runtimes?
Hard to say, since they vary so much with the mode and with the temperature. With the Cygolites, my preferred mode is called (I think) "Zoom," which is a rather gentle flash -- the light gets steadily brighter until it hits max brightness, then dims until it is completely dark, over and over again. (It's a nice compromise between obnoxious, seizure-inducing flashing and a steady beam.) In this mode, you can only adjust the speed/frequency of the flashing in this mode, not the max brightness -- and subjectively, the 150lm model (five yrs old) seems to last longer than the 350lm light (six months old) even though the brightness seems about the same. Now that the weather is cold, I've had the 350 die on rides of under 3 hrs, while the 150 lasts only a bit longer.

I think the 350lm model, with its two LEDs, is not really much brighter than the 150lm model -- I think Cygolite is kind of fudging it, perhaps by adding together the lumen values of the two LEDs -- which, if I remember my physics, is not how it works.

My best bang-for-buck tail light is a 100lm Bontrager that I won at a race a few years ago. The lens gives a good focus for the beam, there are useful sidelights, and the battery life is still excellent.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-28-21, 08:59 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 325 Posts
I just got a new Aduro 168 lumen tail light and am really impressed for the price. Both for brightness and construction. It has six settings and USB rechargeable. On high today it lasted well over 2 hours and then I was back from my ride so not sure how long it would last if left on. I'm sure on medium or low settings it would last most of a day based on my other lights that I paid much more for and appear to be equivalent in comparison so far. Time will tell. Maybe it won't last long and then I'll end up disappointed, But for now, I'm impressed.
Old 12-28-21, 09:17 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 377 Times in 262 Posts
The Dinotte Daytime Only Taillight is the brightest taillight manufactured. If you run it on slow pulse it will run for around 35 hours between charges. I have had mine for more than 5 years. It as made in the USA.
Likes For Rick:
Old 12-28-21, 09:25 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,875 Times in 4,639 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
The Dinotte Daytime Only Taillight is the brightest taillight manufactured. If you run it on slow pulse it will run for around 35 hours between charges. I have had mine for more than 5 years. It as made in the USA.
$289 and requires a separate battery pack? That's a pretty niche product. though I'm sure it's nice.

https://store.dinottelighting.com/da...ount-p188.aspx
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-29-21, 06:57 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
Have any installed pictures of it on a 700c bicycle?

The battery looks bulky, but a better image of it on a 700c might give it a better light.
Old 12-29-21, 06:59 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
$289 and requires a separate battery pack? That's a pretty niche product. though I'm sure it's nice.

Got one Used for $95 shipped from England on E-Bay.

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 12-29-21 at 07:07 AM. Reason: add pic
Old 12-29-21, 01:43 PM
Rick

The light was 249.95 a little over 5 years old. I have mine mounted on my Tubus rack. It sets above my busch&muller taillight. The light set comes with an extension and several brackets for different diameter tubes. I used a tubus fender bracket upside down and a nitto light mount. Nitto makes Two light mounts. One with a 5mm mounting bolt and one wath a 6mm mounting bolt. The tubus fender support has a 5mm hole.
Old 12-29-21, 03:40 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

It boasts 400+ lumens though.
Old 12-29-21, 03:54 PM
Rick

It boasts 400+ lumens though.
It is the brightest taillight I could find. It is also the most expensive. eight very bright cree LEDs. It performs like the manufacture says it will. I can see people approaching from the rear, move over in the lane to give me room from quite a distance. Before I used this taillight I had close passes all to frequently. Since I started using this taillight the close passes are almost non existent.
Old 12-29-21, 04:11 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Another vote for the Cygolite 150 hotshot!
Old 12-29-21, 05:23 PM
Troul 

The light was 249.95 a little over 5 years old. I have mine mounted on my Tubus rack. It sets above my busch&muller taillight. The light set comes with an extension and several brackets for different diameter tubes. I used a tubus fender bracket upside down and a nitto light mount. Nitto makes Two light mounts. One with a 5mm mounting bolt and one wath a 6mm mounting bolt. The tubus fender support has a 5mm hole.
much bigger than I would like for a drop bar bicycle. Reminds me of the vintage SUV high mount 3rd brake lights you'd see on those old shows exploring Australia or Africa.
Old 12-29-21, 08:54 PM
Rick

much bigger than I would like for a drop bar bicycle. Reminds me of the vintage SUV high mount 3rd brake lights you'd see on those old shows exploring Australia or Africa.
The tail light isn't very big. The battery weighs more than the tail light. I currently have drop bars. Bar type or wheel size has nothing to do with a tail light. Dinotte makes their products for people who ride rode bikes. Their brackets are designed to mount the taillights on the seat post.You can put the battery in a bag on the rack or even a pannier. My primary concern is to be seen hopefully even by people who are texting The position of the taillight was done intentionally so the view of it is not blocked from the rear.
Old 12-30-21, 06:53 AM
Troul 

The tail light isn't very big. The battery weighs more than the tail light. I currently have drop bars. Bar type or wheel size has nothing to do with a tail light. Dinotte makes their products for people who ride rode bikes. Their brackets are designed to mount the taillights on the seat post.You can put the battery in a bag on the rack or even a pannier. My primary concern is to be seen hopefully even by people who are texting The position of the taillight was done intentionally so the view of it is not blocked from the rear.
physical size is a concern for my use, not to be confused with physical weight. Weight is what it is, but stuffing something bulky in a prime prime real estate area on the bicycle is not going to attract my eyes to make the large purchase. Also, how something mounts is another conscious thing I will think about. Never was nor will be a fan of those rubber "straps" to be a main way to mount something. A durable slim hard mounts seem like a thing of the past...
Old 12-30-21, 07:01 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
My concern is being run over by a Tesla while the lazy idiot behind the wheel is playing video games
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 12-30-21, 11:12 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
My concern is being run over by a Tesla while the lazy idiot behind the wheel is playing video games
People who play video games are lazy idiots is what you're saying? Or people who drive Tesla's? I don't do either, but now I'm curious.
Old 12-30-21, 11:47 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Originally Posted by SpedFast
People who play video games are lazy idiots is what you're saying? Or people who drive Tesla's? I don't do either, but now I'm curious.
People who play video games while driving are idiots but I think I read Elon took that feature away recently. One can play video games in other vehicles, too. It isn't uncommon. Whether that is why cagers mow us down is pure speculation on my part.

Will brightness solve that? Certainly longer warning must help
Old 12-30-21, 11:54 AM
Rick

[QUOTEphysical size is a concern for my use, not to be confused with physical weight. Weight is what it is, but stuffing something bulky in a prime prime real estate area on the bicycle is not going to attract my eyes to make the large purchase. Also, how something mounts is another conscious thing I will think about. Never was nor will be a fan of those rubber "straps" to be a main way to mount something. A durable slim hard mounts seem like a thing of the past...][/QUOTE]

The battery is mounted with a velcro strap. As stated before there are many places to mount the battery. I have found that you get what you pay for. After being thrown to the shoulder by a texting moron over 5 years ago. I looked for a solution to the problem. My taillight can be seen in bright daylight at over a mile away. Even texters look up from their cell phones occasionally. I like to ride my bicycle and I like being alive also. What prime real estate are you referring to. My solution works for me. Pretty and dead vs ugly and alive.
Old 12-30-21, 11:59 AM
Rick

I read a report presented to some officials giving a solution to them on how to keep autonomous vehicles from running over bicyclists and pedestrians. They want to accessorize us with hardware so we are detected. What if you forget your hardware.
Old 12-30-21, 01:07 PM
Troul 

The battery is mounted with a velcro strap. As stated before there are many places to mount the battery. I have found that you get what you pay for. After being thrown to the shoulder by a texting moron over 5 years ago. I looked for a solution to the problem. My taillight can be seen in bright daylight at over a mile away. Even texters look up from their cell phones occasionally. I like to ride my bicycle and I like being alive also. What prime real estate are you referring to. My solution works for me. Pretty and dead vs ugly and alive.
the other components of that light system are the bigger evils to combat. I can figure out where to tie off a battery pack, but a bulky midpoint connection & shoebox like light, nope. again, I'm speculating what id what based on provided photos.
Old 12-30-21, 09:35 PM
Rick

the other components of that light system are the bigger evils to combat. I can figure out where to tie off a battery pack, but a bulky midpoint connection & shoebox like light, nope. again, I'm speculating what id what based on provided photos.
The wires and connections are not evil. Every thing is out of the way. Nothing interferes with the attachment of other equipment such as panniers, tents, sleeping pads and sleeping bags. The tail light is as small as it needs to be and looks good.