Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

This "Ride Your Age!" crap is for the birds

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

This "Ride Your Age!" crap is for the birds

Old 12-27-21, 08:37 AM
  #51  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 18,971
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 3,627 Times in 1,969 Posts
One of my riding friends turns 65 this Tuesday. She's a regular on our Tuesday rides so we'll see what she has cooked up. Last Tuesday we did 60 miles with 3K feet of climbing so she'll probably want to do more than that.
big john is offline  
Old 01-05-22, 05:04 PM
  #52  
shelbyfv
Senior Member
 
shelbyfv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 10,039
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2970 Post(s)
Liked 3,752 Times in 1,930 Posts
It was slow and a day late. Pretty nice riding weather for January. Three inches of snow predicted for tomorrow.

shelbyfv is offline  
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-06-22, 08:20 AM
  #53  
pdlamb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: northern Deep South
Posts: 7,399

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1833 Post(s)
Liked 1,087 Times in 688 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv View Post
It was slow and a day late. Pretty nice riding weather for January. Three inches of snow predicted for tomorrow.

Well done, sir! Those horse farms look pretty.
pdlamb is online now  
Old 01-06-22, 08:30 AM
  #54  
shelbyfv
Senior Member
 
shelbyfv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 10,039
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2970 Post(s)
Liked 3,752 Times in 1,930 Posts
Thanks! We are blessed with near perfect road cycling conditions. Miles and miles of low traffic roads. Valleys with creeks and small rivers separated by ridges with enough climbing to add interest. The farmers' heirs are selling out but it should remain nice through the few cycling years I have left.
shelbyfv is offline  
Old 01-06-22, 12:48 PM
  #55  
obrentharris 
Senior Member
 
obrentharris's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Point Reyes Station, California
Posts: 3,840

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,795 Times in 644 Posts
This "Ride Your Age!" crap is for the birds

Tweet Tweet!

Brent
obrentharris is offline  
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 01-21-22, 06:26 PM
  #56  
shelbyfv
Senior Member
 
shelbyfv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 10,039
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2970 Post(s)
Liked 3,752 Times in 1,930 Posts
My younger friend wanted company. No more "age" rides for me until Spring.

shelbyfv is offline  
Old 01-24-22, 06:41 AM
  #57  
gif4445
Senior Member
 
gif4445's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Kearney NE
Posts: 549

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 23 Posts
I am set on riding my age in miles for a Birthday ride, but I have done so with modifications. Since it is my birthday, I get to do what I want. November birthday and it can be downright cold on the exact birth date, but there is usually a day close that will work. Wind can be a problem around here, so my route is one way, with the wind. My wife drives to meet me at the end, which is close to a winery and B&B/hotel (by design). And Happy Birthday to me! To me, the birthday ride is a mark of time. Even with health concerns, I rode 5 centuries last year, so the modified BDR is not a cheat in those terms. There will possibly come a day where I will need to ride my age in true miles to keep the spirit of the ride intact. For now, I am content with it as is.
gif4445 is offline  
Likes For gif4445:
Old 01-24-22, 01:12 PM
  #58  
rsbob 
Sniveling Weasel
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Seattle-ish
Posts: 2,236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked 1,398 Times in 826 Posts
Originally Posted by gif4445 View Post
I am set on riding my age in miles for a Birthday ride, but I have done so with modifications. Since it is my birthday, I get to do what I want. November birthday and it can be downright cold on the exact birth date, but there is usually a day close that will work. Wind can be a problem around here, so my route is one way, with the wind. My wife drives to meet me at the end, which is close to a winery and B&B/hotel (by design). And Happy Birthday to me! To me, the birthday ride is a mark of time. Even with health concerns, I rode 5 centuries last year, so the modified BDR is not a cheat in those terms. There will possibly come a day where I will need to ride my age in true miles to keep the spirit of the ride intact. For now, I am content with it as is.
Riding with the wind? Is that allowed by state law? Seems illegal.
__________________
Immoderate Cyclist “No regerts”



rsbob is offline  
Old 01-24-22, 08:43 PM
  #59  
Papa Tom
Senior Member
 
Papa Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,437

Bikes: The same GT Outpost Mountain bike I've been riding since 1996, although I modify it throughout the year for commuting, touring, and recreational riding.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 133 Posts
I decided to take the Ride Your Age challenge this past summer. Apparently, I am seventeen years old.
Papa Tom is offline  
Likes For Papa Tom:
Old 01-25-22, 03:21 PM
  #60  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 29,135

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 881 Times in 586 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
This "Ride Your Age!" crap is for the birds
Correct for those birds of any age who just like to ride; but not so for those birds obsessed with numbers, stats and metrics.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 01-25-22, 04:55 PM
  #61  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 18,971
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 3,627 Times in 1,969 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Correct for those birds of any age who just like to ride; but not so for those birds obsessed with numbers, stats and metrics.
I am definitely not obsessed with numbers, stats, or metrics but I like to do an epic ride for my birthday each year. I don't have a computer on my bike or keep records but there are a lot of routes I know and I know the mileage and elevation from doing those routes for years with friends.

I'll be 68 in a few months and so far doing 68 miles is no big deal so I want to make it harder and more memorable by adding a bunch of climbing. Last year I did a ride of 70ish miles with 7300 feet of climbing. I might do the same one again.

It's not as difficult as some of the rides people post on here, but it's rewarding and I feel good that I can still do that kind of ride. It's been a couple years since I last did a century and I don't know if I want to do one again but being a not super athletic, slightly overweight, older rider with physical issues I am happy to be able to crank out a tough ride.
big john is offline  
Old 01-28-22, 10:12 PM
  #62  
shrtdstncrdr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Sartell, MN
Posts: 324

Bikes: Trek Millennia, Trek 400, Raleigh Superbe, Giant OCR3, Bianchi Milano

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts
I will never ride my age because my health won't allow it.

But I would abso******glutely drive myself out of mn to live and ride somewhere else.
shrtdstncrdr is offline  
Old 01-30-22, 06:46 PM
  #63  
tomato coupe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,940

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 2,896 Times in 1,203 Posts
Originally Posted by biker128pedal View Post
Maybe ride one’s mental age.

I’m 60 and did 64 miles. But if I act like a teenager riding a bike then I should ride 15 miles.
If people rode their emotional age, most would be doing 5 miles.
tomato coupe is offline  
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-31-22, 03:07 AM
  #64  
AlgarveCycling
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: The Algarve, Portugal
Posts: 308

Bikes: Wilier Zero.6 (2019), Trek Madone SLR 6 (2020), KTM Scarp Sonic (2019)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Correct for those birds of any age who just like to ride; but not so for those birds obsessed with numbers, stats and metrics.
Back in the late 80's and 90's I wasn't obsessed with numbers either and trained according to how I felt. Training and racing again in my 50's I've learnt that the Science behind the numbers my power meter and HR monitor are providing is sound and I really do improve my performance chasing stats and metrics tailored to me specifically lowering risk of injury and overtraining and making me stronger, faster. But admittedly, this is for racing, not just going for a ride, two very different goals.

Riding my age is something I do almost daily if talking miles and in my language, metric, well, that's often double but I'm still a relatively young 52 and covered 21500km last year and I live in a hilly part of the World.. When I'm in my 70's I hope I'll be riding my age still occasionally.
AlgarveCycling is offline  
Likes For AlgarveCycling:
Old 01-31-22, 08:27 AM
  #65  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 29,135

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 881 Times in 586 Posts
Originally Posted by AlgarveCycling View Post
Back in the late 80's and 90's I wasn't obsessed with numbers either and trained according to how I felt. Training and racing again in my 50's I've learnt that the Science behind the numbers my power meter and HR monitor are providing is sound and I really do improve my performance chasing stats and metrics tailored to me specifically lowering risk of injury and overtraining and making me stronger, faster. But admittedly, this is for racing, not just going for a ride, two very different goals.
Perceptive observations about setting goals and that not every ride is for the purpose of "training", that seem to escape some cyclists who seem compulsive about setting and achieving arbitrary "goals", and gathering, recording and in some cases reporting data about every minute spent on a bicycle no matter the purpose of the ride.

Sometimes it is positive and fun to just go for a ride with no objective at all other than to just go for a ride, no matter what or when a birthday rolls around.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 02-03-22, 03:00 AM
  #66  
OldTryGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SW Fl.
Posts: 5,334

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked 578 Times in 376 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Perceptive observations about setting goals and that not every ride is for the purpose of "training", that seem to escape some cyclists who seem compulsive about setting and achieving arbitrary "goals", and gathering, recording and in some cases reporting data about every minute spent on a bicycle no matter the purpose of the ride.

Sometimes it is positive and fun to just go for a ride with no objective at all other than to just go for a ride, no matter what or when a birthday rolls around.
and then there's my FUN ride yesterday>>>

2:22 AM on Wednesday, February 2, 2022 Charlotte County, Florida

2day's, 2/2/22, @ 2:22AM, a Déjà vu 22.22 miler

NOT anal, just STRAVA Psycho Johnny

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 02-03-22 at 06:15 AM.
OldTryGuy is offline  
Old 02-03-22, 11:35 PM
  #67  
rsbob 
Sniveling Weasel
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Seattle-ish
Posts: 2,236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked 1,398 Times in 826 Posts
Non-US residents riding metric probably think we are such a bunch of wimps. Maybe after age 60 we should all go metric and if you want to do it in miles then you are a true metric hero,
__________________
Immoderate Cyclist “No regerts”



rsbob is offline  
Old 02-04-22, 02:37 PM
  #68  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 29,135

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 881 Times in 586 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy View Post
and then there's my FUN ride yesterday>>>

2:22 AM on Wednesday, February 2, 2022 Charlotte County, Florida

2day's, 2/2/22, @ 2:22AM, a Déjà vu 22.22 miler

NOT anal, just STRAVA Psycho Johnny
No pictures of the device documenting this event in electrons?

Even so, well done having fun on your ride!
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 02-05-22, 03:53 AM
  #69  
OldTryGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SW Fl.
Posts: 5,334

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked 578 Times in 376 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
No pictures of the device documenting this event in electrons?

Even so, well done having fun on your ride!
https://www.strava.com/activities/6619196233

I messed up the day before by leaving 4 minutes 2 early at 2:18AM >>> https://www.strava.com/activities/6613727462
OldTryGuy is offline  
Old 02-05-22, 09:34 AM
  #70  
CAT7RDR
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Hacienda Hgts
Posts: 1,566

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 1,301 Times in 667 Posts
I'll be 58 in a few weeks. Normally, I would have prepped for an epic climbing ride somewhere in the range of 80 miles and 8K of ascent.
However, this year I have had some moderate health and house damage/repair issues that have derailed my usual cycling days.

Now, 58 miles seems like a far bigger challenge to me.
CAT7RDR is online now  
Old 02-05-22, 09:48 AM
  #71  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 18,971
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 3,627 Times in 1,969 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR View Post
I'll be 58 in a few weeks. Normally, I would have prepped for an epic climbing ride somewhere in the range of 80 miles and 8K of ascent.
However, this year I have had some moderate health and house damage/repair issues that have derailed my usual cycling days.

Now, 58 miles seems like a far bigger challenge to me.
Jou can doo eet! Just take it easy and enjoy. With all my bluster about how I could knock out my age easily (68) I did 62 last Saturday at a nice pace without a ton of climbing and it kicked my ass pretty good. Maybe I need to rethink my big climbing ride for the next birthday. Naahhh.
big john is offline  
Likes For big john:
Old 02-06-22, 04:26 PM
  #72  
kaos joe
Senior Member
 
kaos joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,327

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 66 Posts
I had more trouble the first time, age around 6, than last year (61).
kaos joe is offline  
Old 02-07-22, 01:12 AM
  #73  
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 13,221

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 2,418 Times in 1,568 Posts
Yeah, I didn't do the ride my age thing in November when I turned 64. Been battling an upper respiratory inflammation for months, and between the fatigue and vertigo I haven't ridden a bike since October.

Ditto the above -- the ride minus our age from 100 makes better sense for many of us. Even in my best shape a full century was painful due to an old neck injury that's worsened with age. So I was usually satisfied to do 50-75 miles on good days when I felt like a longer ride. I've done only a couple of full centuries the past several years and can't say I enjoyed either time. Finishing the final 10-20 miles with excruciating neck pain sucks all the joy out of cycling.

My only mileage related goal in 2021 was to run a half-marathon. Didn't make that goal due to the respiratory bug. But I did 10 miles one day in May, and 7-8 miles several times, mostly on weekends. I'm satisfied with that, considering that 10-20 years ago I thought I'd never be able to run again at all.
canklecat is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.