Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-15, 12:20 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,454 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
I think I have to quit lifting between now and nationals, but I don't know how to stop a routine once I get hooked.

I just keep gaining weight and am hungry all the time. It's an involuntary bulk.

latest progress pic vs. starting point.
https://i.imgur.com/Avssxzb.png

on the bike, power is still good. did 385w for 8ish minutes pulling the group yesterday. 22mph up a 2% grade into a pretty stiff wind. no one came around and half the group fell off, despite no acceleration. Made me feel strong at least.
What did coach @mattm say.

I assume you are referring to Utah next month. The TT course has a hard hill near the finish with a prevailing headwind on the inbound part. I do not know about the crit and the RR but I assume the RR has climbing.

BTW, you look great in the pics. I would dial back the intensity and frequency in the gym as Nats gets closer. If you feel great lifting in the gym then keep it up as long as you feel amazing on the bike. You will need amazing on the bike at Nats.
Old 08-12-15, 12:22 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes

I assume you are referring to Utah next month. The TT course has a hard hill near the finish with a prevailing headwind on the inbound part. I do not know about the crit and the RR but I assume the RR has climbing.

BTW, you look great in the pics. I would dial back the intensity and frequency in the gym as Nats gets closer. If you feel great lifting in the gym then keep it up as long as you feel amazing on the bike. You will need amazing on the bike at Nats.
I'm still focusing on getting him to be able to break the 30 mph barrier!

my race videos
Old 08-12-15, 12:29 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
I didn't realize you had had ankle surgery. Doctors warned me about that when I messed up my scaphoid since it's got ****ty bloodflow to begin with.
About when I hit a good groove and forget about it, the issue crops up. Its a stabilizer muscle (peroneus longus) so it doesn't affect my performance directly, but I still have to back off to keep it from tearing again.
Old 08-12-15, 02:08 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

BTW, you look great in the pics.
that's all I really wanted to hear. I have the ability to trim way down in a month if I just manage to do it. I have before without losing any power. I will need to pull back off the gym trips just to get more rest in and have less of a hard appetite.

Originally Posted by mattm
I'm still focusing on getting him to be able to break the 30 mph barrier!
we need to find a flat road on a windless day and you can lead me out to 29mph and I'll try to come around.
Old 08-12-15, 02:34 PM
rideaz

Bikes: Giant TCR, Giant Anthem, Felt CX

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I have to quit lifting between now and nationals, but I don't know how to stop a routine once I get hooked.

I just keep gaining weight and am hungry all the time. It's an involuntary bulk.

latest progress pic vs. starting point.
https://i.imgur.com/Avssxzb.png

on the bike, power is still good. did 385w for 8ish minutes pulling the group yesterday. 22mph up a 2% grade into a pretty stiff wind. no one came around and half the group fell off, despite no acceleration. Made me feel strong at least.
Masters nats?
Old 08-12-15, 02:56 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rideaz
Masters nats?
yes
Old 08-12-15, 03:29 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
5x1'. Damn, those 60 seconds last forever.
Old 08-12-15, 03:43 PM
rideaz

Bikes: Giant TCR, Giant Anthem, Felt CX

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes
Cool. I had a great experience there last year (except the crit crash). The road course is beautiful, I suffered on the climb but you should love it!
Old 08-12-15, 05:24 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
2 hours with 32' threshold climb and a commute.
Old 08-12-15, 10:15 PM
abhirama

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad, Ridley Fenix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've started going to the gym in an effort to put the body through some different stresses and to improve core-strength. 3 times a week is the plan. Any advice on what to focus on for cycling benefits? I wanted to try rowing forever and finally did it for the first time this week. It's interesting. Any rowing 101 advice? @hack?

I also hit my best 1' power today (which is still poor for what I weigh) but it was 50W more than when I last tried it. The rest of the ride was semi-blown up. But I'm pleased!
Old 08-12-15, 11:12 PM
mattm
**** that

Did the local hammer fest; hammered.

Groveled on a local strong-man's wheel for ~30 minutes while the two of us were off the front.

Wanted to give up more than once but didn't.

my race videos
Old 08-13-15, 12:30 AM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by abhirama
I've started going to the gym in an effort to put the body through some different stresses and to improve core-strength. 3 times a week is the plan. Any advice on what to focus on for cycling benefits? I wanted to try rowing forever and finally did it for the first time this week. It's interesting. Any rowing 101 advice? @hack?

I also hit my best 1' power today (which is still poor for what I weigh) but it was 50W more than when I last tried it. The rest of the ride was semi-blown up. But I'm pleased!

Keep a puke bucket nearby if you try a full on 500m or 2,000m effort. Seriously.

Like anything active, form is key. Check out the concept 2 website for some good instruction on form. For gym workouts I used to do a lot of different stuff from short burst work to longer 5k stuff. Really depends on what you're trying to achieve. Carry over to cycling would be stronger core (assuming proper form ), stronger delts and late from the pulling, and some good VO2 improvement if doing those types of workouts.
Old 08-13-15, 12:31 AM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Local hammer ride. Took first sprint, then suffered for another hour or so.
Old 08-13-15, 06:35 AM
bostongarden
meow

Bikes: 2016 Parlee Altum, 2013 Cannondale Super Six Evo Hi Mod Di2 only, 2011 Cannondale Super Six, Dura Ace 7800, 2007 Cannondale System Six Dura Ace 7800, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, MB-2, MB-3, MB-5

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Yesterday: 59 miles with some decent climbing. On the road and probably lifecycles or the like for the next 3-4 days.
Old 08-13-15, 07:36 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
cross bike trail ride.
Old 08-13-15, 07:59 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Did the local hammer fest; hammered.

Groveled on a local strong-man's wheel for ~30 minutes while the two of us were off the front.

Wanted to give up more than once but didn't.
Did you get the Stank on you from that?
Old 08-13-15, 08:05 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Yesterday evening, 2-minute hill repeats. This morning, cyclocross practice race. 4 hot laps, rest, 3 hot laps (should've been 4 again, but I was cooked). Doing 2 tough workouts 12 hours apart is not ideal.

Originally Posted by hack
Keep a puke bucket nearby if you try a full on 500m or 2,000m effort. Seriously.

Like anything active, form is key. Check out the concept 2 website for some good instruction on form. For gym workouts I used to do a lot of different stuff from short burst work to longer 5k stuff. Really depends on what you're trying to achieve. Carry over to cycling would be stronger core (assuming proper form ), stronger delts and late from the pulling, and some good VO2 improvement if doing those types of workouts.
I don't know much about rowing and it's been a while since I did a workout on an erg, but what I remember is a definite order to which muscle groups you engage. Legs, core, arms. And it is hard work. Whatever you do, don't be the bro who does a bunch of arms-only rows, pulling the handle in all sorts of different directions. Those guys suck.
Old 08-13-15, 09:21 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,454 Posts
that's all I really wanted to hear. I have the ability to trim way down in a month if I just manage to do it. I have before without losing any power. I will need to pull back off the gym trips just to get more rest in and have less of a hard appetite.

we need to find a flat road on a windless day and you can lead me out to 29mph and I'll try to come around.
Who is going to lead out the lead out?
Old 08-13-15, 09:43 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Who is going to lead out the lead out?
I can get them to 22mph for about 8 seconds but after that's I'll be done.
Old 08-13-15, 10:28 AM
mattm
**** that

Did you get the Stank on you from that?
I hope some of his Stank rubbed off on me yeah.

Surprisingly he said he not doing masters nats this year, but some local TT. Wedding anniversary or something.

my race videos
Old 08-13-15, 10:31 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I hope some of his Stank rubbed off on me yeah.

Surprisingly he said he not doing masters nats this year, but some local TT. Wedding anniversary or something.
I'm shocked. j/k. Surprise is not the word I'd use.
Old 08-13-15, 11:09 AM
misterwaterfall

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

3 days is probably overkill for an eduro. If you are getting in to track sprinting, it's a bout right. I seem to have decent success with 1/2 sessions per week. Focus is mostly lower body, with different workouts for strength and explosiveness.
Old 08-13-15, 02:04 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Goup ride this morning. 3 guys got away a couple minutes out, so I went all out sprint leadout from a minute out and dropped back as the guys came around. One in the break managed to hold it though. I really like leading out the sprint when theres guys up the road, the challenge is to get anyone at all close enough to pass the break at the line.
Old 08-13-15, 02:49 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
Went out and did some hills - 3min power 316w, 5min power 281w, pretty good for me but pathetic! But work is work! My NP for the 49 mins I was doing the hills was 251w, interesting because that's about where my FTP is, but don't know if in this case it's a real correlation or not.
Old 08-13-15, 04:25 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Was bombing along this morning towards the end of a 30' interval when my training partner and I came around a bend and found a rattlesnake sunning himself in the path. It actually coiled up at us. My buddy went left and I went right and luckily the snake didn't get either of us. We kind of softpedaled the rest of the way to the turnaround after that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.