Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Connecting Apple Watch for Heart Rate Monitor with Wahoo Computer or Strava

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Connecting Apple Watch for Heart Rate Monitor with Wahoo Computer or Strava

Old 03-15-21, 12:49 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
Having read the OP's post and all the replies, this seems to be the best solution that I've read. I have used a strap based HRM for the last 10 years but would go this route if I wanted to use my Apple Watch as an HRM. However, I'm not too keen on using my watch as I really don't want to mess up the glass on a fall or crash. I'm wondering, though, does this require that the phone be in BTLE range for this to work? Nothing I saw on their website and video confirmed or denied that the phone must be present.
the phone isn’t a part of the whole thing. It’s an app in the watch talking to the dongle. The app on the watch has to be proximal to the dongle to pair and it’s paired to the watch not to the phone.

I typically ride with my phone, so just now I turned off BT on my iPhone and connected up to my bike computer using the dongle. It worked fine and that confirms that the watch is not used in the connection.

FWIW, I have had an Apple Watch since they first came out. I’ve found them to be the next thing to indestructible compared to other watches I’ve had. My Omega Seamaster scratches a lot easier than does the Apple Watch and that’s supposed to be built uber tough. You can also get screen protectors for the Apple Watch too as well as protective cases. At any rate, I have really liked this dongle from NPE. It’s a nice product. I have at least 10 rides in on it now and it’s been flawless.

Would have been nice if Apple would have allowed the HR to be broadcast (but I get the security issues of doing that) but that still would be on BTLE and most exercise equipment is ANT+ plus ANT+ is lower power. Bottom line - this doesn’t need the phone at all. It’s a nice product.
Old 06-08-21, 07:23 AM
jtferraro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been using Strava via Apple Watch 5 and finally purchased Wahoo Elemnt Bolt v2...

Been using Strava via Apple Watch 5 and finally purchased Wahoo Elemnt Bolt v2... and I simply wish there was a way to get HR data transmitted to the Elemnt Bolt without using some third party application or additional hardware (dongle). Like others noted, Zwift has found a way of doing so via their Companion app. I just with Wahoo would do the same! For now, I'm not sure if I should continue to use Strava, via Apple Watch, to record and save the ride data while simply using the Bolt to view stats during and after the ride, or forego uploading info directly from Strava in favor of utilizing the Bolt in that same manner (sans HR data). I'm sure the Bolt provides other metrics that aren't available...although I have yet to purchase power pedals (holding out for Shimano or Favero SPD-SLs). Thoughts and insights appreciated.

Thank you,

-Jeff

Last edited by jtferraro; 06-08-21 at 07:23 AM. Reason: added name (wasn't sure if I had a saved signature)
Old 12-19-21, 12:58 PM
ajkessel

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tracking Bowflex C6 stationary bike?

I've been trying to solve this same problem with a Bowflex C6 indoor/stationary bike. Two solutions in this thread seem promising - Navigr8 and Cyclemeter. I have Cyclemeter on my iPhone and Apple Watch, with the phone app paired to the Bowflex. In this configuration, I do see both speed and distance data appear on the Cyclemeter phone app, but they don't match what the Bowflex shows on its own computer for speed/distance. Is this just a matter of setting wheel size correctly? I'm surprised Cyclemeter isn't able to get speed/distance directly from the Bowflex since it does track that information. If it is a matter of adjusting wheel size, is there any solution other than trial and error until the phone app speed/distance is close to the bike speed/distance?

As for Navigr8, it doesn't appear to contemplate an indoor/stationary bike mode. Has anyone gotten it working in that context? Any tips?
Old 12-28-21, 02:07 PM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by ajkessel
I've been trying to solve this same problem with a Bowflex C6 indoor/stationary bike. Two solutions in this thread seem promising - Navigr8 and Cyclemeter. I have Cyclemeter on my iPhone and Apple Watch, with the phone app paired to the Bowflex. In this configuration, I do see both speed and distance data appear on the Cyclemeter phone app, but they don't match what the Bowflex shows on its own computer for speed/distance. Is this just a matter of setting wheel size correctly? I'm surprised Cyclemeter isn't able to get speed/distance directly from the Bowflex since it does track that information. If it is a matter of adjusting wheel size, is there any solution other than trial and error until the phone app speed/distance is close to the bike speed/distance?

As for Navigr8, it doesn't appear to contemplate an indoor/stationary bike mode. Has anyone gotten it working in that context? Any tips?
I gave up on Cyclemeter years ago when their calorie burn numbers were 2x reality. I'm not sure they totally understand what they are doing.
Old 12-28-21, 03:38 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by ajkessel
In this configuration, I do see both speed and distance data appear on the Cyclemeter phone app, but they don't match what the Bowflex shows on its own computer for speed/distance.
If the Bowflex is like its Schwinn sibling (same manufacturer), tracking speed and distance is pointless since they are often completely off from reality. And apparently you can only calibrate them three times ever. https://forums.zwift.com/t/schwinn-ic4/175730/28
Old 12-29-21, 08:47 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
I gave up on Cyclemeter years ago when their calorie burn numbers were 2x reality. I'm not sure they totally understand what they are doing.
If you are trying to track calories burned without using a powermeter, any number is going to be a guess. If you were using a PM and were still getting crazy numbers, that's a problem.
Old 12-31-21, 08:13 AM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by adamrice
If you are trying to track calories burned without using a powermeter, any number is going to be a guess. If you were using a PM and were still getting crazy numbers, that's a problem.
of course.

Using a HRM, cyclemeter was 2x every other bike computer I own in estimating calories - Garmin, Wahoo and other iPhone apps. Their algorithm was wonky compared to everyone else. When an algorithm is that far out of whack, a better strategy is to not offer the capability. That miss on their part led me to doubt their software in general and look elsewhere.

and yes, I do have power meters on my bikes.
Old 12-31-21, 10:36 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
Well that's interesting. I have not used Cyclemeter with a powermeter, but I have compared its calorie estimates to those from other apps, and found that it comes in about 10% lower. There is a "calories scaling factor" (under Settings/Advanced). I wonder if that got mis-set.
Old 12-31-21, 03:33 PM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by adamrice
Well that's interesting. I have not used Cyclemeter with a powermeter, but I have compared its calorie estimates to those from other apps, and found that it comes in about 10% lower. There is a "calories scaling factor" (under Settings/Advanced). I wonder if that got mis-set.
this was a while ago and I subsequently lost confidence in the company’s understanding of bike computers and exercise computation. Clearly, they didn’t understand it. Given at the time, I was trying to lose weight and I wound up wasting a lot of time and effort using their metrics. That’s actually when I made the transition to power meters so I suppose that was a good thing.

I did circle back and run a Wahoo ELEMNT and a Garmin bike computer all side by side with Cyclemeter on my phone. The Wahoo and Garmin where pairs to the ANT+ side of my HRM and cyclemeter to the BT side. Same connection scheme for my speed and cadence sensor. So all of the computers were getting the exact same data. I also was running a power meter.

The Wahoo and Garmin were in ok agreement for calories and were somewhat higher than the power meter. The cyclemeter number was around 1.5-2X the correct number. So it was a bad algorithm on their part. They had it wrong.

I’ve since been involved as a beta and alpha tester on two other bike computers and it’s apparent that getting a bike computer’s software right is far from a straightforward task.

Cyclemeter is a small company and based on what I saw it was pretty clear they didn’t have the horsepower in software development to keep up. At least that’s what it looked like to me. So I dumped them. Probably ok for basic speed, cadence stuff but once you go the next step up, then I think I’d be pretty skeptical of their product.
Old 08-07-22, 03:15 PM
salzrat

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only app I found that can pair sensors and read the Apple Watch's HR sensor and doesn't require a subscription is ismoothrun. It's a cheap one-time purchase. Cyclemeter and Navigr8 require monthly or yearly subscriptions if you want to pair sensors...
Old 08-07-22, 03:17 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 1,741 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Garmin watches are able to broadcast HR measured at the wrist over the air. Apple doesn't have a feature like that? Maybe possible to code one up, or does the walled garden prevent that?
They don't. This is what made me decide not to get one.

There is an App but it doesn't help with the Edge.