Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Continental blow out, lucky, switch to Pirelli?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Continental blow out, lucky, switch to Pirelli?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-21, 05:47 AM
mikebian 

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Tandem, Ventana ECdM Tandem, Kent Eriksen Custom Coupled Tandem, Meridian Coupled Triplet, Canondale MTB Tandem, Landshark Tandem, Giant TCR, SantaCruz Blur LTb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
I've still been riding on the GP5000's and have had no issues other than that one tire. As I stated in my original post, BikeTiresDirect.com sent me a new tire and I've been using that with no issues for a few thousand miles.

Chancy's blowout seems a lot like the one we had. I think this must just be a manufacturing defect on some tires. Glad (hope?) no one got hurt with this.

I wish there was a way to get someone at Conti to chime in on this. Really glad BTD sent me a new tire, but it's not their product and Conti should really be the ones standing by the warranty. Speaking of which, I have a new set of GP5000's ready as my current ones are almost worn out. I just looked at the box, the paper that comes with the tire, and even scanned the QR code to read their web site. There is NO mention of any sort of warranty or guarantee or a support number or email anywhere. Really kind of makes me want to reconsider using these. Maybe this will be my last set...
Old 05-11-21, 06:01 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
How is everyone measuring tire pressure?

Gages on pumps are notoriously inaccurate. Mine is off by 11 psi. When I pump to 100 on the pump gage, the actual pressure is 89 psi as measured by three different hand held gages (two analog and one digital).

I have generally gone thru 5-6 sets of GP4000 or GP5000 per year and have never had a sidewall cut like that. I also don't run them until they are worn out. Crashing at high speed is no fun. Tires are cheap. GP5000 are what? 40 bucks? I inspect tires before and after every ride. If I run over glass inadvertently, I stop and clean the tread. I did scuff up the sidewalls of a 28 mm GP4000 on a gravel ride. I tossed the tire. My tandem doesn't get enough miles unfortunately, my comments apply to a 260 pound load but similar to a tandem. I run 25 mm at 89 psi front and rear (50/50 balance on my machine).

Conti is the only tire I trust.
Old 05-11-21, 10:06 AM
Chancy

Bikes: S&S Santana Beyond & S&S Santana Arriva. Trek Domane 3.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Carbonfiberboy,

No, these are not the ones with the reflective sidewall.

Tailwinds,
Charlie
2016 Santana Beyond
Old 05-11-21, 10:09 AM
Chancy

Originally Posted by mikebian
I've still been riding on the GP5000's and have had no issues other than that one tire. As I stated in my original post, BikeTiresDirect.com sent me a new tire and I've been using that with no issues for a few thousand miles.

Chancy's blowout seems a lot like the one we had. I think this must just be a manufacturing defect on some tires. Glad (hope?) no one got hurt with this.

I wish there was a way to get someone at Conti to chime in on this. Really glad BTD sent me a new tire, but it's not their product and Conti should really be the ones standing by the warranty. Speaking of which, I have a new set of GP5000's ready as my current ones are almost worn out. I just looked at the box, the paper that comes with the tire, and even scanned the QR code to read their web site. There is NO mention of any sort of warranty or guarantee or a support number or email anywhere. Really kind of makes me want to reconsider using these. Maybe this will be my last set...
Mikebian,

Thankfully we did not go down. We've had a blowout on the front and now the back wheel and not gone done yet, from a blowout.

Tailwinds,
Charlie
2016 Santana Beyond
Old 05-11-21, 10:38 AM
Chancy

Mikebian,
Sorry I didn't read your whole response before replying earlier. I too wish there was better contact info on Continental's website. I didn't try contacting Planet X yet, I assumed do to shipping cost they would not do anything. Maybe I'll reach out to them. I really like Continental tires and this is the first failure not due to a road hazard so I'll stick with them and see how the the next two tires wear.

GhostRider62,
Our pump gauge readings are close to a handheld Zefal anolog gauge (I use on the road). The Zefal anolog gauge is 2-3 psi off of from a trusted & tested (against a certified qauge) digital gauge that I use predominately for schrader valves. So our pump gauge may be 3-5 psi off. The fact that the gauge may be 5-8-10(?) psi off is not too critical as long as you use the same gauge, just adjust the pressure up or down slightly to suit your desired ride feel.
Yes I have seen gauges that were off (mostly reading low), yet they were fairly uniform across the rated range, the margin of error did not increase.

Tailwinds,
Charlie
​​​​​​​2016 Santana Beyond
Old 05-11-21, 12:28 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
How is everyone measuring tire pressure?

Gages on pumps are notoriously inaccurate. Mine is off by 11 psi. When I pump to 100 on the pump gage, the actual pressure is 89 psi as measured by three different hand held gages (two analog and one digital).

I have generally gone thru 5-6 sets of GP4000 or GP5000 per year and have never had a sidewall cut like that. I also don't run them until they are worn out. Crashing at high speed is no fun. Tires are cheap. GP5000 are what? 40 bucks? I inspect tires before and after every ride. If I run over glass inadvertently, I stop and clean the tread. I did scuff up the sidewalls of a 28 mm GP4000 on a gravel ride. I tossed the tire. My tandem doesn't get enough miles unfortunately, my comments apply to a 260 pound load but similar to a tandem. I run 25 mm at 89 psi front and rear (50/50 balance on my machine).

Conti is the only tire I trust.
At home I use a digital gauge and my compressor. Said to be +- 0.5 PSI at 100 PSI. I know that it agrees with the TPMS in my car. On the road I have a Silca Tattico which has a similar accuracy rating.
Old 05-15-21, 04:11 PM
wtandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I’m the original poster. Since our blow out, a friend who rides his single bike with us, had his tire blow while we were stopped at a rest room. He had Continental Gator skins on Zipps. The tire had failed in a way almost identically to my post. I sanded the hooks on his rim slightly and he also changed to a different brand. The hooks did not feel sharp, but just in case. I did change to Pireli and have been inspecting the tire for wear. Once a month, I deflate and have a close look at the area where the rim hook contacts the tire just above the bead. No signs of wear yet, maybe about 1000 miles on the new tires. I check our floor pump gage infrequently ( new and ever year or two ) against a hand held gage. Floor pump accuracy reminds me of the nice test reviews by Frank Berto in Bicycling magazine many years ago. One of his tests was floor pumps.
Old 05-17-21, 10:42 AM
jnbrown

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 52 Posts
If you are looking for a different brand of tire I recommend Schwalbe One.
I have been using them on our tandem and two road bikes for a long time with no problems and very few flats.
And with COVID I am riding through a lot crap trying to keep my distance from others.
After the last flat which was on the rear of tandem I looked at the tire and the tread was totally gone, with cords showing so no wonder it got it a flat.
I originally made the switch from GP4000S to Schwalbe One and found the ride to be smoother so I stuck with them.
Old 06-24-21, 03:49 AM
pria.berdasi

Bikes: Polygon Impression AX 2008, Polygon Helios 900X

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I currently run Conti GP5000 700cx25mm without no problem