Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

8/9/10 speed upgrade question

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-21, 10:40 AM
Ryno317
Member in Training

Bikes: '21 GT Aggressor Pro, '16 Norco 7.1 Storm << son's bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

I'm looking to change my rear gearing from 8 speed 11-34 to something a bit easier for an middle aged out shape father trying to keep up with his son, mainly on the hill climb sections. I currently ride the middle ring(34T) staying in the middle to easy gears on the cassette. I rarely ever drop to the granny gear on the chainring, to much spin for me. I have been looking at other 8 speed cassette's 11-46, to do a swap. But the step up on looks drastic. So I was pondering about doing a 9 or 10 speed to smooth out the shifts with a 30 or 32T single front ring. Is this a good set up or am I missing something? What do you suggest?

Also if I swap to a 9 or 10 speed, who has a good clutched RD.

My ride is a Dick's special GT Aggressor Pro. Thanks
Old 06-11-21, 12:36 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
if its a 26" bike, an 11 speed swap with a 11-42 cassette would be a dramatic improvement -- not sure it would play nice with a small chainring granny setup though, but to eliminate confusion, you could ditch the granny and run a 2x system - just adjust the front derailleur accordingly

Shimano is your friend for all of this ---- an 11 speed cassette will fit on an 8 speed cassette body - probably Deore would be a reasonable way to go if money is a determining factor - its good stuff , just a little heavier than the higher end stuff
Likes For DMC707:
Old 06-11-21, 01:00 PM
Ryno317
Member in Training

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks for the shimano suggestion. It has 27.5 wheels.
Old 06-12-21, 05:34 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Shimano has some nice affordable Deore with clutch offerings for 10 speeds. SRAM, I don't see they offer too often what I consider affordable with a clutch.

Don't discount Microshift Advent and Advent X as well. Advent is a 9 speed system with clutch and AdventX is the 10 speed. I put the Advent X on my Aspect and am impressed.

BUT, you will have to do research on any of the above on finding who has any of these in stock.
Likes For travbikeman:
Old 06-12-21, 09:01 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryno317
Thanks for the shimano suggestion. It has 27.5 wheels.

you could bump up to an 11 speed 11-46 then if you really need some climbing gears.

Now that my memory is better, i converted my old 3x9 Santa Cruz 26,er to 1x10 with a Zee rear derailleur, Zee shifter, (Zee is Shimanos gravity oriented setup, but roughly the same price point as Deore or SLX) an SLX 11-34 cassette and a 32 tooth Race Face narrow wide chainring that fit my stock Deore crankset.
Works great -

admittedly its my backup bike now, so the setup has less than 5 hours time on it , butthe times i have ridden it have beentrouble free.
Likes For DMC707:
Old 06-13-21, 07:59 PM
scubaman

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 37 Posts
Maybe Microshift Acolyte 8-Speed 1x? https://bikerumor.com/2020/09/10/mic...ack-to-basics/

Can't tell from the photos & specs on this bike if the triple crank can be dismantled to fit a single chainring. If not, it looks like this bike sells with a square taper bottom bracket, and you might be able to find a decent used square taper crank that can be set up 1x in parts bins at the local bike shop.
Likes For scubaman:
Old 06-14-21, 07:23 AM
Ryno317
Member in Training

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I like the MircoShift and will look to see who has what in stock and go from there. Would I benefit from an Oval front chainring?
Old 06-21-21, 07:09 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
If the little chainring is "too spinny", then a bigger cassette will be also.
Likes For c_m_shooter:
Old 06-21-21, 08:45 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Just to clarify,

You have a lower chainring but don't use it but want to swap out cassettes so you can climb better?

If so it's a lot of swap for what you probably already have. If you are going to a larger cassette you'll potentially need a different body, cassette, derailer and shifter.

Not saying it can't be done but map it out first as it could turn into a major surgery for a gain you already have.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 06-21-21, 11:52 AM
VicBC_Biker

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Just to clarify,

You have a lower chainring but don't use it but want to swap out cassettes so you can climb better?

If so it's a lot of swap for what you probably already have. If you are going to a larger cassette you'll potentially need a different body, cassette, derailer and shifter.

Not saying it can't be done but map it out first as it could turn into a major surgery for a gain you already have.
My opinion also.

A good starting point for me when I think about gearing changes is an online gear claculator. That way I can see what's on the bike now, and how I should be using the gears I have (remembering to avoid the big-big and small-small chainring-cassette combos).

Something like: https://sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html

Posting the gear calculator results would let readers know exactly what you are dealing with.

BTW, One problem (for me) with going to ever-wider range cassettes is that the 'jumps' between gears can be uncomfortably large. One gear is 'too spinney' but the next one up needs a bit too much 'push' from my legs. (Always looking for that 'Goldilocks' gearing combo.... )
Old 06-21-21, 10:35 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Add me to the list of not understanding why you want lower gearing when you already find your lower gears too low.
Old 06-23-21, 08:11 AM
anga

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts
I'm looking to change my rear gearing from 8 speed 11-34 to something a bit easier for an middle aged out shape father trying to keep up with his son, mainly on the hill climb sections. I currently ride the middle ring(34T) staying in the middle to easy gears on the cassette. I rarely ever drop to the granny gear on the chainring, to much spin for me. I have been looking at other 8 speed cassette's 11-46, to do a swap. But the step up on looks drastic. So I was pondering about doing a 9 or 10 speed to smooth out the shifts with a 30 or 32T single front ring. Is this a good set up or am I missing something? What do you suggest?

Also if I swap to a 9 or 10 speed, who has a good clutched RD.

My ride is a Dick's special GT Aggressor Pro. Thanks
How many teeth in the granny ring?
What is the progression of cog teeth in the cassette?
Old 06-23-21, 08:47 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 770 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Add me to the list of not understanding why you want lower gearing when you already find your lower gears too low.
Critical thinking skills are a thing of the past these days...
Old 06-23-21, 09:44 AM
Ryno317
Member in Training

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by VicBC_Biker
My opinion also.

A good starting point for me when I think about gearing changes is an online gear claculator. That way I can see what's on the bike now, and how I should be using the gears I have (remembering to avoid the big-big and small-small chainring-cassette combos).

Something like: https://sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html

Posting the gear calculator results would let readers know exactly what you are dealing with.

BTW, One problem (for me) with going to ever-wider range cassettes is that the 'jumps' between gears can be uncomfortably large. One gear is 'too spinney' but the next one up needs a bit too much 'push' from my legs. (Always looking for that 'Goldilocks' gearing combo.... )

I used the calculator, and this is what came back.
Old 06-23-21, 10:06 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
...middle aged out shape father trying to keep up with his son, mainly on the hill climb sections.
I hear Ya!!! Sure, going to another gear set is a possibility and allot of fun making the transitions and adjustments in doing so.

It certainly does your body good to try and keep up with your son but "come on man..." ain't gonna happen...

If I am going to ride with my boys, even if they ride slow, I better get an e-bike.
Old 06-23-21, 11:44 AM
VicBC_Biker

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 51 Posts
I used the calculator, and this is what came back.
Good. Some folks prefer the 'gear-inches' numbers, but that will be fine.

You don't want to use the big-big and small-small combos.
From the chart you can figure out possible shifting patterns.
I marked one possibility here:

I usually pedal on the middle ring if it's rolling country - I know it's ok to use any of the cogs on the rear cassette from the middle chainring on my bike.
If I see a big hill coming up (and I'm going slow) I sometimes shift to the small chainring sooner, when the rear is still on a cog in the middle of the cassette.
Downhill- after a point when I'm spinning on the middle chinring, I usually coast.
Likes For VicBC_Biker:
Old 07-05-21, 05:54 AM
spikyone

Bikes: Teen Verge P9 EKO

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Hi..just to share on my experiences with this, more experienced riders may disagree or point out things I may have missed:

I converted from a 3x8 30T to a 1x9 42T with a single 32T chainring. In terms of gearing its more or less the same. But I had to change:
cassette, cranks, chain, shifter. There are 8 speed wide range cassettes available but the stepup i feel would be too much for me.

I feel now its a lot of shifting up and down the cassette, maybe i have trigger finger so that obviously contributes to the “issue”. Others with healthy hands may consider it a non-issue. I felt that maybe i should have changed to 2x instead. However my bike has lightened up heaps.

Another of my friend also riding a 3x8 setup says that there is an “emptiness” when he rides rolling terrain which doesnt give enough time to flick through both front and rear gears at the same time, I think he means he cant get into a fast gear quick enough for downhill momentum and vice versa.

so make of this what you will, have fun deciding!
Old 07-05-21, 06:02 AM
spikyone

Bikes: Teen Verge P9 EKO

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Just to add; i suppose if you are always staying in the middle ring and shifting both ends of the cassette, you could technically just get a larger cassette, longer chain and a goatlink for yr rear derailleur and ride it as if like a gravel bike 1x system? Just dont change down or yr chain will end up being too long.