Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Fiido X lite folding bike 20" wheel

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Fiido X lite folding bike 20" wheel

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-21, 07:26 PM
kimguroo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Fiido X folding bike 20" wheel (update)

I posted other threads for pics and specs but it might be helpful to someone who might be interested this bike in the future so I decided to create own thread.
Fiido X lite ebike.
I paid the bike for $899 from indiegogo crowdfunding project (It was around July). It included shipping and tax.
I have seen many crowdfunding projects went wrong so I was extra careful about it. some companies do not send items or delay delivery over one year etc...
Fiido already released D11 (previous year model) last year (2020) and looks like people actually received their bikes so I decided to buy from crowdfunding project. Also, many manufactures disappear within 2 years then there is no way to get replacement parts or service from those companies but Fiido is running their business and supplying replacement parts.

there was a slightly shipping delay but I was expecting it. the bike was supposed to deliver on September but delayed until Christmas eve.

Fiido X lite specification
Aikema 250w hub motor
Torque sensor without a throttle feature,
7 speed S-ride shifiter and rear derailleur, and Shimano freewheel. (Originally Fiido tried to use Shimano shifter and rear derailleur but there was a part shortage so they changed to S-ride shifter and rear derailleur.
mechanical disk brake (unbranded)
5.8 AH battery
20" wheels

There are three versions for Fiido X.
Fiido X lite ebike (speed limit to 25km/15.5 miles)
Mechanical brake, 5.8 AH battery and 250W motor

Fiido X US version (speed limit to 32km/20miles)
Hydraulic brake, 11.6 AH battery and 350W motor

Fiido X European version (speed limit to 25km/15.5 miles)
Hydraulic brake, 11.6 AH battery and 250W motor

This my first ebike. and It’s just too easy to ride. Feel like cheating haha
I thought about getting regular fiido x but it was $1099. Actually, it's worth $200 because I can get hydraulic brake, bigger battery 11.6ah and 350w motor but I don't want to spend too much since I might upgrade some components later and I was not sure about durability. I think they are selling for $1599 at their website now.
So far I am having positive impressions.

unboxing video.

Last edited by kimguroo; 08-29-22 at 07:18 PM.
Likes For kimguroo:
Old 04-13-22, 12:15 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts
Fiido X1 is currently under 100% recall.

https://electrek.co/2022/04/13/after...nces-new-plan/Electrek spoke with Fiido’s CTO Keven Wang this morning, who shared how the team has been working night and day on everything from the failure analysis to the recall plan.

As he explained:
After receiving the feedback on April 3rd, the entire Fiido team attached great importance to and quickly implemented the solution. The Fiido product laboratory immediately conducted more rigorous testing. After the failure reappeared on April 8th, we immediately announced that all users stopped using it, meanwhile, closing all Fiido X sales channels. Because we, like our users, put safety first.

Although the FIIDO X V1 version has passed the relevant tests of EN15194 on this product, we did not fully consider the correlation between the strength test and the transportation environment. This will also be one of the key improvements in our future work.

Although this recall will let FIIDO face an unprecedented financial crisis, responsibility and credibility are more important to us. Fortunately, our missteps haven’t caused anything more serious. Fiido hopes to regain everyone’s faith with our honesty and responsible attitude. The occurrence of this incident is an alert to us. We will hang the broken FIIDO X on the wall of the R&D department and let it remind us how to design products."

Old 04-13-22, 03:16 PM
kimguroo

Newly designed Fiido X will be better since they will add 7 features especially adding PAS0 and new display.
it will take extra long time to get the new bike but Fiido did right thing.
I was afraid that Fiido just declares a bankruptcy then changing company name and redo the business. 3000 Fiido X will become junks and 3000 users can’t do anything but loosing their money but they committed to do recall processing.
Likes For kimguroo:
Old 04-13-22, 08:51 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Do you work for them or something? If they go out of business that would suck for the people who decided to buy one but I certainly would just ask for my money back at this point and look at say Tern or something of similar quality and you will get excellent support and less likely you are going to have a recall of the entire bike for frame failures like that.
Old 04-13-22, 11:26 PM
kimguroo

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Do you work for them or something? If they go out of business that would suck for the people who decided to buy one but I certainly would just ask for my money back at this point and look at say Tern or something of similar quality and you will get excellent support and less likely you are going to have a recall of the entire bike for frame failures like that.
I don’t work for Fiido and I paid a full price which was $899. This is my first ebike and I did not want to drop big money on an ebike because I was not sure I will like ebike or not. Also I don’t want 50lbs+ heavy ebike. Honestly, My bike is fine. There is no cracking issue. Cheapest Tern ebike is $2500+ and it weights almost 50lbs. Fiido X was not perfect but it serves me well for me and weights at 40lbs. I will need to wait long time to receive a replacement bike but I am fine with it as long as Fiido is willing to do recall processing. Also newly designed bike will add 7 additional features so It’s not a bad deal in my opinion. If someone needs bike immediately, Fiido offers other ebikes for recall replacements from them.
I don’t believe that there are bike companies which they never had frame issues.
Likes For kimguroo:
Old 04-14-22, 03:46 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 450 Posts
Difficulties of bike designs involve accommodating frame strength & performance for riders with wide range of physique.
You can't expect these lightweight, folding ebike to hold up or perform the same under a 150 lb. rider vs 250 lb. (or more).
Similarly, they are not designed to be ridden down a set of stairs or curb hopping with heavier riders.

I suspect that Fiido has learned a valuable lesson with the X folding frame design.
Designer likely did not account for the general larger stature or rate of obesity among American population.

Americans seem to sue when products don't perform as expected, regardless of whether the product is designed to perform as used (abused) or not.
In general, there seems to be less personal accountability when products don't perform (or fail) as (over)estimated on user end.
The common sense is to purchase equipment for your intended usage, but we all take more risks than we should once in a while.
Whether we contribute our own decisions in risk taking or manufacture defect when accidents occur is to be determined by each case.
Fiido is taking the initiative to correct its design on their X model, likely better than most Chinese manufactured equipment.

Last edited by cat0020; 04-14-22 at 07:13 AM.
Old 04-15-22, 07:20 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by kimguroo
I don’t work for Fiido and I paid a full price which was $899. This is my first ebike and I did not want to drop big money on an ebike because I was not sure I will like ebike or not. Also I don’t want 50lbs+ heavy ebike. Honestly, My bike is fine. There is no cracking issue. Cheapest Tern ebike is $2500+ and it weights almost 50lbs. Fiido X was not perfect but it serves me well for me and weights at 40lbs. I will need to wait long time to receive a replacement bike but I am fine with it as long as Fiido is willing to do recall processing. Also newly designed bike will add 7 additional features so It’s not a bad deal in my opinion. If someone needs bike immediately, Fiido offers other ebikes for recall replacements from them.
I don’t believe that there are bike companies which they never had frame issues.
Having frame issues on occasion is one thing but having to do a recall on every bike is not a good thing.

To buy a decent quality reliable hybrid bike you are looking around $800 and generally a decent enough kit is going to be about $1500 ish so trying to do an entire e-bike for $899 is a bit crazy. The quality just cannot be there because the price just isn't there. Yes Tern is going to be more expensive initially but they have excellent support behind their stuff and at least on the e-bike side haven't done any recalls on their entire bikes that I can think of. I certainly wouldn't want a folding bike that cheap with a motor on it I would be worried it might come apart or have some other structural issues, they aren't putting much if any R+D into it and copying a design doesn't work well because you are usually just copying looks and not actually doing the leg work on how it works and making sure it is truly safe because you don't care you could fold up shop and open up again with another name with the same bikes if need be.

Enjoy the bike if you get the new one but it is hard not to like e-bikes but if you try to "save" too much at the beginning you can easily find yourself not loving the experience as much as you could.
Old 04-16-22, 04:16 PM
kimguroo

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Having frame issues on occasion is one thing but having to do a recall on every bike is not a good thing.

To buy a decent quality reliable hybrid bike you are looking around $800 and generally a decent enough kit is going to be about $1500 ish so trying to do an entire e-bike for $899 is a bit crazy. The quality just cannot be there because the price just isn't there. Yes Tern is going to be more expensive initially but they have excellent support behind their stuff and at least on the e-bike side haven't done any recalls on their entire bikes that I can think of. I certainly wouldn't want a folding bike that cheap with a motor on it I would be worried it might come apart or have some other structural issues, they aren't putting much if any R+D into it and copying a design doesn't work well because you are usually just copying looks and not actually doing the leg work on how it works and making sure it is truly safe because you don't care you could fold up shop and open up again with another name with the same bikes if need be.

Enjoy the bike if you get the new one but it is hard not to like e-bikes but if you try to "save" too much at the beginning you can easily find yourself not loving the experience as much as you could.
Fiido made a right decision to recall all the bikes. Actually, my bike does not have any cracking issue. It’s just clean as the first day. As soon as the cracking issue happened, I examine my bike and I did not see any cracking issue but I realized that bottom part of frame can be a little weak and potentially, it might develop cracking issue. Looks like Fiido saw it and redesigned the frame and they are testing it now. They could replace the bike for case by case but they decided to do entire bikes. Recall can be happened to any companies. The most recent one was Specialized tarmac SL7. They are one of the most experienced bike companies but they made a mistake recalled their bikes. Also how to act is more important thing. Fiido acted quickly and made a decision about recalling entire 3000 bikes. They offered either newly designed frame bike or substitute for other Fiido ebikes. Actually, Fiido learned from this and focus on their frame design with safety more so it’s not a bad thing for the company even though it will cause a lot of money for them.

I built my bikes so I am not total new for how much money I need to spend to get decent bikes. I am new to ebike so I want to learn how the ebike works. I thought about building e road bike so I found a frame but could not find Mahle x35 system so It’s better to learn basic knowledge for ebike system. Yes. Fiido is Chinese company and not easy to communicate if any problems occur. There was an one electrical issue but eventually, solve the issue by myself and gave the instruction to Fiido and they made a video to users. I got my bike for $899 because indiegogo early bird price and retail price of Fiido X is $1599. Some people might not like quality of the bike but for the price I paid. I am okay with it. It runs well and I don’t have any issue for 4 months. Eventually, electronically components will have issues in the future. I don’t believe that any ebike companies will have bullet proof reliable electronic components. Controller, battery, motor might stop working at some points but as long as companies supply parts, It will be okay. Actually, I learned many things for ebikes so if electrical components fails, I think I can fix it by myself and getting right parts are no issue for me.

honestly, I am not sure why you have so much negativity about Fiido and even me. I am not sponsored by them or try to defend Fiido. I try to record my experience to people who are interested in Fiido x bike. I already made my Fiido x blog and made significant upgrades to the bike. I am getting old and I think I like ebike. Possibly if I can get Mahle x35 system for decent money, I will build 1x e-road or e gravel bike by myself or get used orbea gain or 3T boost in the future.
Likes For kimguroo:
Old 04-17-22, 01:30 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
An individual can make the same mistake with a $2500 bicycle like my Haibike. The bike died after very little mileage had and Haibike was out of the US for awhile.Their dealer locater said the nearest place to get my bike serviced was in Iceland (I'm in Southern California). Fortunately, Giant uses basically the same Yamaha engine in one of their models and I was able to get a new switch/PAS system which cost $225 or so.
Likes For 2old:
Old 08-29-22, 07:33 PM
kimguroo

Finally, I received updated new bike from Fiido.
Recall processing took 3-4months.

there were some improvements.
notable new feature is PAS0. Now I can turn off/on motor from the display.
I have a small size battery so with PAS0, I can use hill area for PAS1-3 and use PAS0 for flat road in order to boost range. I got 250w motor for previous Fiido X lite but I was able to get 350w motor for Fiido Version 2.
I could get more speed with 350w motor than 250w.
LED light has lens so much better than previous light.​​​​​​​
I upgraded many parts so I am still working on switching parts from previous bike.

Likes For kimguroo:
Old 08-29-22, 09:36 PM
I_like_e_bike

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Smile

love it
Old 08-30-22, 09:44 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

I almost bought a Fiido D11 from eBay, but apparently it's got no warranty at all. It's from a company selling off the old stock, so it's most likely the older, V1 frame. I'm glad I passed on it. If it had this new upgraded frame, AND warranty support, I'd be kicking myself. You definitely got the good end of it. Fiido stands behind their products. I bought an L3, and I'm slowly upgrading the chainring, freewheel, etc. I actually love the little thing.
Old 08-31-22, 07:34 PM
kimguroo

Originally Posted by tds101
I almost bought a Fiido D11 from eBay, but apparently it's got no warranty at all. It's from a company selling off the old stock, so it's most likely the older, V1 frame. I'm glad I passed on it. If it had this new upgraded frame, AND warranty support, I'd be kicking myself. You definitely got the good end of it. Fiido stands behind their products. I bought an L3, and I'm slowly upgrading the chainring, freewheel, etc. I actually love the little thing.
looks like L3, D11 or d21 is fine since those bikes were never recalled.
Fiido gave me options to get either fat bike, L3, D11 or D21. Actually, time frame was similar so I decided to go with Version 2.

I noticed that there were several small improvements which no one cares. Especially I was surprised that headset bearing was finally sealed bearings.

​​​​​​​
Likes For kimguroo:
Old 09-22-22, 02:32 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

looks like L3, D11 or d21 is fine since those bikes were never recalled.
Fiido gave me options to get either fat bike, L3, D11 or D21. Actually, time frame was similar so I decided to go with Version 2.

I noticed that there were several small improvements which no one cares. Especially I was surprised that headset bearing was finally sealed bearings.
I have a quick question for you. Will Schwalbe 20x2.15 inch tires fit on the Fiido X?

Update: a young lady has 20X3" tires installed on her Fiido D11, and it fits perfectly, as long as the fenders/mud guards are removed.

Last edited by tds101; 09-22-22 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-23-22, 06:47 AM
kimguroo

Originally Posted by tds101
I have a quick question for you. Will Schwalbe 20x2.15 inch tires fit on the Fiido X?

Update: a young lady has 20X3" tires installed on her Fiido D11, and it fits perfectly, as long as the fenders/mud guards are removed.
I tried to use thinner tire for speed (plus keep weight) but thicker tire might give more comfortable ride so I did not change my tire but I’ve seen someone changed to 20x2.35”. Also commonly changed for Schwalbe 20x2” big Apple, 20x2.15 and 20x2.2 tires.
Old 09-23-22, 07:53 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Thumbs up

I tried to use thinner tire for speed (plus keep weight) but thicker tire might give more comfortable ride so I did not change my tire but I’ve seen someone changed to 20x2.35”. Also commonly changed for Schwalbe 20x2” big Apple, 20x2.15 and 20x2.2 tires.
Up to 3" tires fit, but I see a 2.15" Big Apple fits WITH the fender. Good to know.

Last edited by tds101; 09-23-22 at 08:34 AM.
Old 09-24-22, 10:02 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Tried the D11 out, the rear wheel was defective. It was like riding uphill the entire time, even when the brake cable was removed. Defective motor,...