Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

My geek thread

Old 06-09-15, 07:01 AM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
USB is USB. It's a serial bus. You may be able to add a USB3 adapter if your laptop is modern enough, but it doesn't sound like it.
Old 06-09-15, 09:57 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
It came with Windows 8.1 installed, so it can't be all that old. One of the ports is USB 3.0, though I'm not sure which one.

Demain, on roule!
Old 06-09-15, 03:35 PM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well that's different. USB3 ports usually have a blue gender tab and are marked "SS" for Super Speed. Unless you're running networking or heavy file transfer over USB3, I doubt you'd notice any impact from adding a USB3 hub. You will with USB2, but if that's the only working port, then you'll have to deal with it. If there is a docking station available for your laptop, that's an expensive option.
Old 06-09-15, 04:29 PM
mmmdonuts
Gluteus Enormus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
It came with Windows 8.1 installed, so it can't be all that old. One of the ports is USB 3.0, though I'm not sure which one.
What's the make and model of your laptop? If you're lucky and the USB3 port survived then what shovelhd said applies. If not then it's hard to find options without knowing what you have.
Old 06-16-15, 03:52 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by mmmdonuts
Cool. I'm curious about the "less than nothing down" deal. What did you mean?
They threw in a $100 gift card. I don't think I am that scary, but my wife is the account holder and a lawyer so ...
Old 07-24-15, 03:40 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
If any of you Android people wanted to try a pebble time smartwatch, let me know. I was lured into the smartwatch game, but didn't fully realize the limitations of Pebble Time in iOS. Would sell for whatever, just so my wife stops viewing me as the kind of guy who owns two smartwatches...
Old 08-09-15, 06:48 PM
bostongarden
meow

Bikes: 2016 Parlee Altum, 2013 Cannondale Super Six Evo Hi Mod Di2 only, 2011 Cannondale Super Six, Dura Ace 7800, 2007 Cannondale System Six Dura Ace 7800, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, MB-2, MB-3, MB-5

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Strava question, which I find more geek based than anything else. FYI, my srm needs battery replacement and I am using Strava in the meantime to keep track of some rides.

I raced in a crit today and Strava provided lap by lap mph. After the race, I reviewed the mean mph for each lap via the app on my iPhone, entered them into a spreadsheet, and ran some stats.

A few hours later, I wanted to look more in depth at a few items via Strava. I signed in via the website using my iPad. The mean mph that I then saw was different! It was generally higher.

For example, the mean mph for the race based on data viewed via the app is 25.88; the mean mph for the race based on data viewed via the website is 26.22.

In addition, I again checked the data via the app on my iPhone and see the same numbers observed via this method as before.

Anyone know what's going on here??? I'm mostly curious. The validity of the data are not critical to me.
Old 10-22-15, 01:12 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 610 Posts
Virtual Server question - If I have a virtual server "VM" hosted at Company A, meaning they own the physical machines & storage, and we have a virtual server on their host. What happens if we decide to change hosting companies to Company B. How do you get your virtual server and data to another company ?

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 10-22-15, 02:07 PM
Blackdays
Boom.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bostongarden
Strava question, which I find more geek based than anything else. FYI, my srm needs battery replacement and I am using Strava in the meantime to keep track of some rides.

I raced in a crit today and Strava provided lap by lap mph. After the race, I reviewed the mean mph for each lap via the app on my iPhone, entered them into a spreadsheet, and ran some stats.

A few hours later, I wanted to look more in depth at a few items via Strava. I signed in via the website using my iPad. The mean mph that I then saw was different! It was generally higher.

For example, the mean mph for the race based on data viewed via the app is 25.88; the mean mph for the race based on data viewed via the website is 26.22.

In addition, I again checked the data via the app on my iPhone and see the same numbers observed via this method as before.

Anyone know what's going on here??? I'm mostly curious. The validity of the data are not critical to me.
The engineer in me theorizes this:

Strava passes the raw data of your ride to its web app and mobile app separately, and they are processed via separate API's. I'm guessing they aren't perfect copies.

I can run downstairs and ask them if you're really curious.

Last edited by Blackdays; 10-22-15 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-22-15, 02:14 PM
Blackdays
Boom.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Virtual Server question - If I have a virtual server "VM" hosted at Company A, meaning they own the physical machines & storage, and we have a virtual server on their host. What happens if we decide to change hosting companies to Company B. How do you get your virtual server and data to another company ?
Most will provide a pretty easy transfer service - best option is to speak with the guys hosting your VM right now.

Conversely, you could FTP the files over to your end, then re-upload.
Old 10-22-15, 05:42 PM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Export it using a standard format every day using the client. When it's time to switch upload it to the new host. If your machine image contains all the data (no SAN or network storage) then it is contained in the image and goes along for the ride.
Old 10-22-15, 07:06 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bostongarden
The mean mph that I then saw was different!

If you're recording using the phone app, assuming you don't have a bluetooth speed sensor (which I don't even think exists), the raw data is just timestamped GPS points. Calculating average speed between the points is not necessarily straightforward; there may be some smoothing that occurs. The phone app and the web app may do that smoothing differently.
Old 10-23-15, 05:21 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
bluetooth speed sensor (which I don't even think exists).
Wahoo Fitness - Blue SC Speed and Cadence Sensor with Bluetooth 4.0 for iPhone 4 and 4S
Old 10-23-15, 05:26 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What will they think of next?
Old 10-23-15, 05:53 AM
YogaKat
Padawan

Bikes: Orbea Mitis Dama, Bridgestone Sirius, Cranbrook Cruiser, Cheap Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
If any of you Android people wanted to try a pebble time smartwatch, let me know. I was lured into the smartwatch game, but didn't fully realize the limitations of Pebble Time in iOS. Would sell for whatever, just so my wife stops viewing me as the kind of guy who owns two smartwatches...
Have you used it with Strava? If so, how well does it work for that application?

I'm looking for a device to use with my LG 3G on my rides.
Old 10-23-15, 05:32 PM
mmmdonuts
Gluteus Enormus

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It would really depend on the virtualization platform in use at the source and destination, there are many and the migration procedures differ. Moving to a different VM platform could limit your options for migration. The new hosting company should be able to answer all of your questions.
Old 12-14-15, 07:43 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Network VPN Geek Question

If someone is a network admin, and then leaves their job, but they have a PC at home with VPN, I wonder what different accounts they could use to login in ?? How would you block them from VPN-ing in with Administrator account & password, without deactivating Admin, or changing the password ??

Old 12-14-15, 07:47 PM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Network VPN Geek Question

If someone is a network admin, and then leaves their job, but they have a PC at home with VPN, I wonder what different accounts they could use to login in ?? How would you block them from VPN-ing in with Administrator account & password, without deactivating Admin, or changing the password ??
You could look through the VPN concentrator logs, get his IP, and block that range, but that's not very effective. He could just go to Starbucks. You should never allow a privileged login over a VPN. Force the user to log in as themselves and connect to a bastion host as administrator. That way you can remove the account on the bastion host. But that's water under the bridge. You have to change the admin/root passwords, like yesterday.
Old 12-14-15, 07:54 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

How would you stop a privileged login over a VPN in the first place ??
He is still with the company.
Not sure what account he uses from home, just thinking out loud.

I have been given an additional hat to wear, and discovering all kinds of crap set up wrong. But I'm not an expert in this new to me stuff, so going slowly.

Last edited by Homebrew01; 12-14-15 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-14-15, 08:03 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

I just tried to VPN from home as "administrator" and it didn't work, so maybe it's not allowed somewhere in the settings.

Old 12-14-15, 08:07 PM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How would you stop a privileged login over a VPN in the first place ??
He is still with the company.
Not sure what account he uses from home, just thinking out loud.

I have been given an additional hat to wear, and discovering all kinds of crap set up wrong. But I'm not an expert in this new to me stuff, so going slowly.
How is the VPN concentrator authenticating users? Local accounts on the appliance? Active Directory? LDAP? RADIUS?
What kind of machines does he want to log into with elevated privileges?
Old 12-14-15, 08:10 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by shovelhd
How is the VPN concentrator authenticating users? Local accounts on the appliance? Active Directory? LDAP? RADIUS?
What kind of machines does he want to log into with elevated privileges?
Dunno.
I just know he has VPN at home, so curious if he could VPN as admin.
I use my regular network name & password.

Old 12-14-15, 08:29 PM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sure. Authentication to the VPN can have nothing to do with authentication to any particular machine. They can be independent or dependent.
Old 01-06-16, 03:28 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Two things:

1. Kerbal Space Program is awesome. I don't know if WR is still around, but he talked about that years ago, and I finally got it last year. It's a ton of fun.
2. The part of a program that I expect to spend the most time coding is never the part I spend the most time coding. Working on something to script sending some commands to telnet? Yeah, you're going to spend the first 10 minutes writing the logic of the actual program, and the next 5 hours chasing down little bugs in the network streaming part so you can send and receive data.
Old 01-06-16, 03:31 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
2. The part of a program that I expect to spend the most time coding is never the part I spend the most time coding. Working on something to script sending some commands to telnet? Yeah, you're going to spend the first 10 minutes writing the logic of the actual program, and the next 5 hours chasing down little bugs in the network streaming part so you can send and receive data.
You may appreciate this - The case of the 500-mile email

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.