Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Fall is coming - time to switch to your knickers?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Fall is coming - time to switch to your knickers?

Old 09-10-22, 04:08 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 430 Posts
depends... sunny, a bit cooler before coverups, overcast, cool/cold wind coverup sooner
knee warmers - mostly 62/64 to 56/58
leg warmers - mostly 57/56 to 40's
I don;t do tights or anything which can't be taken off without taking off the main kit.
base layer top - varying thicknesses 66 and lower
nylon, back vented vest - 62 to whatever used with short sleeve mid weight, heavier weight or wool jersey
light arm warmers - 65 to 56
thermal arm warmers - 57 to 52
long sleeve jersey - 57 - 55
light long sleeve arm warmers, worn under a longsleeve jersey - 55 and lower
full finger gloves - 62 and lower
insulated gloves - below 50 ish
ear bands - 58 and lower
helmet liner - 54 and lower
head tube - 56 and lower
I have a wide assortment of varying weights in ALL Kit, shorts/bibs, jerseys short or long slv. Varying weights of arm, knee and leg warmers. same for earbands, helmets liners and muffs.
MOST versatile (next to arm warmers, which I wear with everything, all the time) are long tubes of varying weight of stretch material, worn either just for neck/throat, or also to cover the mouth nose, and finally up to the top of head. Works great just as a head & ear band also, when sweat management is not a major issue - cold conditions.
Head/neck tube fits great under any kind of helmet (ski, bike, moto, hockey - for outdoor) , also great for backpacking or any outdoor activity where temp management .
I have a varied assortment and almost never leave without one, when temps go below low 50's F.
like this:

stretchy Head tube/ neck muff

head tube/ neck muff under helmet

Ride On
Yuri
Old 09-10-22, 10:05 PM
Rotten

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 1986 Schwinn Passage, 1987 Shogun Katana, 2018 Giant Anyroad Advanced, 2013 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 93 Posts
I'm in line with what others have posted. Arm warmers or long sleeves at 60, leg warmers at about 55. Around 50 and I add a light windbreaker, colder than that and I have cold weather pants and a jacket.
Old 09-12-22, 04:36 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked 1,377 Times in 755 Posts
Am I the only person who doesn't wear knickers (no bibs either)? If it gets down to the upper 40s I'll switch to lightweight tights, maybe low 50s if it's windy, then have heavier stuff for below freezing weather. While still commuting to work, I was good down to about 10F with the right layers.
Old 09-20-22, 10:22 PM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
All the cycling clothing companies are telling me (in their ads) to cover my knees.
It is a philosophy I have adhered to for many years.

But at what temperature do you switch to knickers or knee covers with your shorts?

Desert lifestyles need not brag, but it gets cold at altitude locations - I froze at times in Las Vegas and hills/mts outside Los Angeles.

I just took delivery of a lightweight pair of knickers that work in the 57°-63° overcast Puget Sound autumn days.

Every body deserves to be comfortable in a chill.
Because, it's not always about th bike.
I have always worn leg warmers for anything below 60f. They can easily be removed when not needed and stuffed in my pockets. Have fun and stay safe.
Old 09-21-22, 01:31 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 502 Times in 319 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Leg and Arm warmers go on when temps get in the 60'sF.
I’ve followed that rule for many years. But the switchover can be tough. At the end of summer, especially this one with 100+F days it’s hard to let go. My leg warmers are right there in the closet but sometimes I just don’t want to put them on. One good
motivation is that the wankers will just stay home and I can have free reign on my favorite mup. Even better the ebikers will stay home and their batteries will die sitting in the garage. Something to look forward to.
Likes For Joe Bikerider:
Old 09-21-22, 02:52 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 610 Times in 375 Posts
I've been riding with long sleeved summer-weight UPF 50 jerseys most of the summer, though when I'm slow in washing clothes I sometimes wear SS jersey and sun sleeves. (The $30 PI sleeves seem to give better protection than the $5 Amazon ones, but note the 'seem to'.)

Tights under 60-65, tights and base layer pants under 55. Leg warmers don't stay up; I don't know if that's because my legs are fat or because the size is wrong. Base layer and jersey on top under 65; base layer, LS jersey, thermal jersey under 60 base layer, LS jersey, thermal jersey, windbreaker under 55. I stay home unless it's at least 50 and dry and the wind is under 15-20 mph. That's age having caught up with me.
Old 09-23-22, 04:40 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 1,518 Times in 725 Posts
I've been resisting pulling the cold weather kit out of the closet, but it's 55 degrees today. These transition weeks are the hard ones for me. In a couple months 55 will feel like summer, but now not so much. Tights and long sleeve jersey.
Old 09-23-22, 09:37 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3402 Post(s)
Liked 3,531 Times in 1,776 Posts
High of 85º today, 88º tomorrow.

Knickers, knee warmers, arm warmers, gilets are staying in their drawer indefinitely.

This is the hottest time of the year in the SF Bay Area.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 09-23-22, 07:53 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2557 Post(s)
Liked 5,581 Times in 2,897 Posts
For the first time this year wore a short sleeve tech shirt under my short sleeve jersey and arm warmers which were removed about half way. Tomorrow has a projected high of 73 so no tech or arm warmers.

Old 09-24-22, 06:05 AM
BTinNYC 

Low 50s last night and we turned the heat back on. Probably going for tights this this morning, but maybe after another cuppa it'll warm up a bit.
Old 09-30-22, 07:58 PM
merlindave

Bikes: 2000 Somerville, Mass. built, Merlin Road

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was in the very low 60s today, dry, and 100% overcast, so even with a long sleeved jersey on, but still in bibshorts, I felt FROZEN!

I even purposely wore my highest Swiftwick socks to at least cover up some of the calf muscles.

Between the ancient 'old school racer' adages pounded into my head from the beginning (i.e.: NEVER, EVER have your knees, or legs, exposed when the ambient temps are under 72*F!!), my acclimation to riding in the heat and humidity, (and that it seems to have gone from the mid 80s down to high 50s in one day!) or maybe I actually have less body fat than I realize (HIGHLY doubtful!!), this just felt outright COLD to me, and I feared that I was destroying my knees despite low, low gears at a high cadence.

I have to dig out all of my old bibtights, etc., or buy some new late fall/winter kit.

I was hoping for a fall warm spell at least half way through October (don't want to call it the 'traditional' name, since that might now be considered racist??), but that does not look like it is going to happen according to the 10+ day forecasts.
Old 09-30-22, 08:27 PM
merlindave

Bikes: 2000 Somerville, Mass. built, Merlin Road

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Off topic, but looking at your signature;

My first track bike in 1970 was a chrome, mid to late 60s Frejus.

That sig mention is about the only other time I have ever even heard that company mentioned.
Old 10-01-22, 02:22 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1776 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 983 Posts
Southern California here. It occasionally gets below 40F during the winter, a few odd times it'll dip below 30F (1-2X per winter). I wear regular shorts all winter long, my legs don't get cold and I figure that's because they are doing the work and generating heat. Upper body I'll add a later for every 10F degrees below 65F, full gloves below about 60F, and maybe a thin balaclava on my head down around 40F. I'm not keen on riding below about 35F. I did go out on a winter morning on an odd 26F temp day, thought I'd warm up after a few miles, but never got warm and cut the ride short at 12 miles.
Old 10-13-22, 06:47 AM
biglmbass

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
It was cool here this morning -- nice day for a ride at 64°F. Almost cool enough for a long sleeve jersey. But I don't normally go to knee warmers or tights until it gets down to about 50°F, though I sometimes wish I had if it's a dark, overcast day, windy, and spitting rain and 55°.
^ Sums it up nicely for me. At around 60-ish degrees I'll add a thin base layer under a short sleeve jersey & maybe arm warmers. If really windy at the same temps, I'll switch to a thin long sleeve jersey. I'll still ride in bib shorts in the 50s occasionally, but will need thicker socks & or toe warmers for keeping feet/toes warm.

Last edited by biglmbass; 10-13-22 at 06:58 AM.
Old 10-14-22, 11:39 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
About 65F or so, I will add sweatpants over the cycling shorts. Thankfully I still have my old spring steel ankle clips to keep the pants legs clear of the chainring, so anything loose enough to pedal comfortably is an option. Yesterday was just over 60 and I wore sweats over the cycling shorts and a long sleeve base layer under a short sleeve t-shirt. Worked great.

Otto
Old 10-14-22, 12:59 PM
gravelfan

Bikes: Two Independent Fabrications, a Niner RLT, and a Trek Domane

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Here in the central valley of California knickers get little use. I have thermal bibs as rides start later in winter and those have changed my knicker use. I still roll knickers a few times each winter when it is wet and foggy.
Old 10-18-22, 06:05 AM
BTinNYC 

By February, 45 degrees will feel toasty, but not today. The cool weather kit got pulled out last night for this mornings ride.

These warm-to-cold transition months are tough on my old bod.
Old 10-18-22, 06:20 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked 2,264 Times in 1,268 Posts
I don’t own any type of leg coverings but I always wear knee high socks when cycling . My knees don’t seem to get cold like the rest of me and where I live it is seldom below 40 so I’m good. This year , for the first time, I had to abort a ride for heat. I did one of our canyons and after a 5 mile slight uphill climb I was overheated and the 5 mile downhill didn’t work to cool me down so I called my wife. I was not feeling very good. I would much rather cool conditions. Last weekend it was cloudy and cool with some light drizzle and it felt fantastic.
Old 10-18-22, 09:44 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 1,842 Times in 1,060 Posts
I have both light and heavier tights for cold weather riding (Bellweather and PI) but don't know where they are - have not seen them in years (decades)

I believe I know where they are (container in the basement) - but they would not fit me because I've gained a significant amount of weight since I last used them

so - it's just shorts for me now

we rode through last November with temps in the low 40's - and I was ok multiple layers on top and mtb shorts

lesson learned: don't get fat lol
Old 10-18-22, 05:15 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked 2,047 Times in 1,072 Posts
I pull the light wool knickers out when the morning temp is below 45F. Otherwise I'm baking on the commute home, particularly since it's a downhill in the morning and uphill in the evening.

Last weekend I did a 200k in shorts, without tights even in my bag. From now until June, I probably won't head out without tights packed, no matter the temperature or forecast.
Old 10-18-22, 06:16 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Never really liked 3/4 knickers as I thought they were too restrictive.
I'm in SoCal and unless I head up into the mountains, high 30's will be about the coldest I will encounter.
I will try wearing MTB nylon shorts over bib shorts this year on cold mornings and regulate myself with 180 degree wind jackets and a balaclava.
Wooly Booly socks also help a lot and Gore gloves also work great.

I have thermal tights and a Gore winter jacket for the mountains but they are rarely used.

I will also keep a compact disposable Mylar blanket in my pocket for any cold extended descents if I get to the local mountains this winter.

Last edited by CAT7RDR; 10-18-22 at 06:20 PM.
Old 10-19-22, 01:13 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 4,821 Times in 2,226 Posts
Apologies to those in the upper mid-portion of middle USA and moving east - winter with many inches of snow ... has arrived.

I'm still in bibshorts in Seattle Eastside in mid-October. Couple of days needed a light long sleeved jersey and light knickers for the occasional 'early' (days getting short) morning rides.

Last edited by Wildwood; 10-19-22 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-23-22, 09:32 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2557 Post(s)
Liked 5,581 Times in 2,897 Posts
Today was low 50s so bibs, leg warmers, long sleeve thermal jersey, cloth cycling jacket, light weight long finger gloves and toe covers on my shoes. Was very comfy. Things are changing weather-wise from Wildwood’s post above.

Old 10-25-22, 09:02 AM
professorbob

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I have some very lightweight thermal long underwear that I will wear under my shorts when the temperature gets below 60. So far, the seam in the thermals has not bothered me and I can use them to the point where the temps drop into the high 30s. On top I layer up. When I get to the point where my feet are too cold to ride I put the bike on the trainer in the basement.
Old 10-25-22, 09:48 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 1,930 Times in 1,377 Posts
I have a spreadsheet where I log the clothing I've used in various weather conditions. That's been very helpful. Leg warmers start at 55°, tights at ~48°. The wild card is precip. That changes things a good bit but how much depends on the degree and frequency or duration of the precip. I can forecast that quite well, so the SS makes sense. My coldest ride was 75 miles in a steady heavy rain at 36°. That's hard to defend against. I don't ride when there's a chance of ice on the road. Around here most of the riders who've gone out in those conditions have broken something. You're riding a dry corner and ooops there it is.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.