Search
Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Quick fix to many problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-22, 05:49 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Quick fix to many problems

How about not letting people start threads until 10 posts? The bot accounts are starting 5 threads each which is what is crippling the subforums.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-20-22, 06:18 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
It's a idea, but many new users are bitterly upset over not being able to post links and pictures for the first 3 days. Lots of people show up here wanting to share a link and are unhappy they can't. Imagine the butthurt if they couldn't start a thread.
I can understand that. And it would totally kill the introductions subforum
If this keeps up they might have to do it temporarily though.
Old 10-20-22, 08:27 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by unterhausen
It's a idea, but many new users are bitterly upset over not being able to post links and pictures for the first 3 days. Lots of people show up here wanting to share a link and are unhappy they can't. Imagine the butthurt if they couldn't start a thread.
I can understand that. And it would totally kill the introductions subforum
If this keeps up they might have to do it temporarily though.

Is there a way to set up so that for the first 10 posts, new threads would have to be approved by a moderator? I've seen similar arrangements on other forums.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-20-22, 08:37 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

The lifeblood of a forum is new users, can't chase them away before they get hooked. There are systems in place that just need to be tweaked that will make it uneconomic for this group of spammers to bother with us. I have fairly high confidence that what IB is working on will help. Where's the "impatient" emoji?
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 10-20-22, 10:19 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by unterhausen
The lifeblood of a forum is new users, can't chase them away before they get hooked. There are systems in place that just need to be tweaked that will make it uneconomic for this group of spammers to bother with us. I have fairly high confidence that what IB is working on will help. Where's the "impatient" emoji?

Definitely, new user access vs. spammer vulnerability is a tricky balance. OTOH, I can't think of a bigger turn off to joining in the discussion than facing a forum overrun with this type of spam. I hope you're right that there's a tweak. Is "uneconomic" a euphemism? Like "nice legs you got here, hate to see them become uneconomic for you".
Old 10-20-22, 01:13 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

The delay on starting threads is not a bad idea. There is a delay on posts, isn't there?

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I hope you're right that there's a tweak. Is "uneconomic" a euphemism? Like "nice legs you got here, hate to see them become uneconomic for you".
"shoes are expensive, let me help you with that"

This place has great anti-spammer protections. Even as a mod I don't see them working most of the time. The current group just has low expectations. I agree that it would be bad for a new user to see a wall of spam, it's bad enough for people that have been around for a while.
There are other cycling forums that would have a lot of trouble with them, I hope they don't head to any of those places.

Last edited by unterhausen; 10-20-22 at 01:20 PM.
Likes For unterhausen: