Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Reinforcing the crotch on your trousers?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 11-02-22, 08:57 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts

For most of my life I've worn BDU trousers/shorts. They come with crotch reinforcement panels built-in. It wasn't until I got a pair of more stylish trousers, last year, when it dawned on me that riding bicycles will wear holes near the crotch. I would like to add reinforcement panels to the trousers that don't already have them.

Is there anyone reading that does this with their own trousers? Any tips to share on fabric that would work well for this project? My trousers that are starting to wear holes are 97% canvas and 3% spandex which allows some elasticity. Would I need to use fabric that matches this elasticity or, would it be just as well to use some 100% cotton duck canvas (no elasticity, but is locally available to me)?
Old 11-02-22, 10:16 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-02-22, 10:29 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 513 Times in 285 Posts
I've never tried to reinforce pants. I'd think you'd need to do it just right or you'll get uncomfortable seams that could cause chaffing.

I know from experience, some fabrics are simply tougher than others. I've had certain types of sweat pants that hold up great, while others begin to quickly pill up and show signs of wear. It's not necessarily the type of material as it is the tightness of the weave and other factors. I have a pair of Nike golf shorts that show absolutely no signs of wear even after years of using them on the bicycle. I also own some pants from Banana Republic that have shown zero issues from using them on the bike.

The reality though is I ride wearing lycra bike shorts on the majority of my rides and they last for years.

Rather than try to reinforce your pants, I'd recommend investigating different brands paying close attention to the density of the weave and the surface of the fabric. Or wear lycra shorts when you ride and change into your pants when you get to your destination.
Likes For mtnbud:
Old 11-02-22, 11:57 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

I should say that I'm not really talking about size, shape or durability (per se) of the patch material. The BDU trousers already give me a good example of patch size/shape that doesn't chafe.

The material question has to do with a patch material not having any elasticity, while the original trouser material does. Someone who has patched their trousers in this context might be able to answer the question. If I use a non-elastic material for the patch, will it cause the original material to rip around the patch? That has happened when I sewed suede elbow patches to a wool jacket.
Old 11-03-22, 07:16 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
Your concern is one of the reasons I went to (lycra) cycling shorts. Deal with them when you stop for lunch, bathroom break, etc., and change out at the end of the ride. But you don't want more of that sales pitch. So ...

It's going to be difficult to get a good match for the crotch, not only in terms of flexibility and stretch, but especially in terms of color. Leather elbow patches on tweed elbow are fine on a professor's jacket, but they'd look pretty dorky on a crotch. Put them inside the trousers, and when you wear holes through then the reinforcement or patch material will shine through.

Iron-on patches sewed down at the edge work well for denim (jeans). For anything else, you might want to buy the trousers 4" longer than you need, then cut off the excess and hem or cuff what's left. The cut off part will match the rest of the trousers, and you can use that to double the crotch.
Old 11-03-22, 07:22 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Don't wear trousers while cycling.

Wrap them around your handlebars if you don't have a bag big enough for them.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-03-22, 07:48 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
My mom usually does all my sewing for me.
Old 11-03-22, 07:48 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 409 Posts
Maybe a fabric seat cover might do the trick.

Dan
Old 11-03-22, 07:56 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 2,889 Times in 1,646 Posts
Lightweight nylon or poly running pants are very long wearing; most are breathable as well. I spent only the first few months of bike commuting using cotton or cotton blend dress or casual pants; during the other 20 years I wore running pants in warm weather and fleece pants (also very durable) in cold weather.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 11-03-22, 08:07 AM
Chuck Naill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Is the OP bragging or complaining. This reminds me of a wise saying from Confucius, "man with five penises have pants that fit like glove".
Old 11-03-22, 08:15 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 703 Posts
Go clipless with the Doc Martens.
Old 11-03-22, 09:23 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
One word: codpiece.
Old 11-03-22, 09:48 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
I tend to wear lycra when I am wearing bike specific shorts. If going riding for the sake of riding that is what I will have on. Otherwise, for a short ride to run and errand or something. I might just wear what I have on. That is typically Carhartt shorts or pants which tend to be pretty long wearing without any added panels. They are okay to ride to the local store or whatever. I haven't noticed that I ruin them by riding, but that is probably at least partly because I don't do a lot of miles wearing them. Probably about 99% of my riding is with lycra shorts or bibs.

On tour I might ride short distances after I am out of the bike shorts. In that case I am likely to be in running shorts.
Old 11-03-22, 10:17 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

What’s a trouser? And do you need more than one?

Old 11-03-22, 04:40 PM
streetsurfer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 149 Posts
Try some gusseted crotch pants. They would tend to wear less from bike use.
Old 11-03-22, 05:18 PM
reconnaissance

Bikes: Trek 850, Trek 510, Cannondale 300m, Specialized Rockhopper, Stumpjumper, Bianchi Virata

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 38 Posts
Someone who bicycle commuted in business attire told me that making a seat cover out of pantyhose will reduce the wear on your pants. I don’t know if it actually does.
Old 11-03-22, 06:19 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Stupid question. Why not wear purpose made cycling clothing? You won’t have the issue you brought up and won’t have to design around something not well suited to cycling in the first place.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-03-22, 06:53 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Stupid question. Why not wear purpose made cycling clothing? You won’t have the issue you brought up and won’t have to design around something not well suited to cycling in the first place.
Ehhh not exactly true. I haven't destroyed any chamois or bibs or anything but I have destroyed some parts that are cycling specific in the crotch area. I haven't done any reinforcements or worried about it but it does happen.
Old 11-03-22, 07:11 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Why not wear purpose made cycling clothing?
Because there is no need to wear cycling specific clothing. There is plenty of non-cycling clothing out there which is perfectly suitable for cycling.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 11-03-22, 08:09 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Ehhh not exactly true. I haven't destroyed any chamois or bibs or anything but I have destroyed some parts that are cycling specific in the crotch area. I haven't done any reinforcements or worried about it but it does happen.
You are not the OP. I was addressing him.

Old 11-04-22, 02:32 AM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Maybe it's the saddle. I'm seeing people reporting that the Brooks Cambium saddles are abrasive to trousers. It's on all of my bicycles - the Brooks C15 saddle. Now I have to find an alternative that is the same thing but with a smoother surface. A leather covering would probably work, but, I'm not seeing any, so far. The mail order bicycle retailer sells waterproof covers for leather saddles - not what I'm looking for at all. I guess they want people to buy expensive leather saddles, rather than leather covers for existing favorite saddles.

What's a trouser?
I don't know what a trouser is. What's a pant?
Mysteries of the universe...
Likes For Nyah:
Old 11-04-22, 04:41 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,713 Times in 2,911 Posts
Just get some decent quality mtb shorts and it won't be a problem. I've been wearing a pair of 7-mesh Farside shorts pretty much on and off the bike (except for road cycling where I wear bib shorts) all year and they are showing no signs of wear. Super-light and comfortable too.

https://7mesh.com/farside-short-long
Old 11-04-22, 04:43 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by wolfchild
There is plenty of non-cycling clothing out there which is perfectly suitable for cycling.
The OP's shorts are clearly not.
Old 11-04-22, 06:02 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
The OP's shorts are clearly not.
OP just needs to do some experimenting. There are plenty of non-cycling pants out there which are made from fabrics that are durable, comfortable and suitable for cycling.
Old 11-04-22, 06:13 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by wolfchild
OP just needs to do some experimenting. There are plenty of non-cycling pants out there which are made from fabrics that are durable, comfortable and suitable for cycling.
I presume this avoidance of the obvious solution is driven entirely by cost?
Likes For PeteHski:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.