Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Frame Material Preference Poll

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Frame Material Preference
Carbon Fiber
31.25%
Aluminum
7.81%
Steel
47.66%
Titanium
13.28%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Frame Material Preference Poll

Old 11-11-22, 07:50 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4272 Post(s)
Liked 4,707 Times in 2,907 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I have no desire to try carbon because I believe it's inferior to steel it terms of toughness and durability. And I also have an old aluminum MTB with a rigid steel fork which is holding up great after many years of hard riding. The only issue with aluminum frame is a bit of galvanic corrosion on the lower chainstay bridge and that is the result of road salt corroding a steel bolt and reacting with aluminum. My steel frames had rustroofing oil sprayed inside tubes and there is no rust even after many years of winter riding.
Carbon is very tough and durable too, at least when designed to be very tough and durable:-

Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-11-22, 08:15 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
I have no desire to try carbon because I believe it's inferior to steel it terms of toughness and durability. And I also have an old aluminum MTB with a rigid steel fork which is holding up great after many years of hard riding. The only issue with aluminum frame is a bit of galvanic corrosion on the lower chainstay bridge and that is the result of road salt corroding a steel bolt and reacting with aluminum. My steel frames had rustroofing oil sprayed inside tubes and there is no rust even after many years of winter riding.
You know what else doesn't rust? Carbon fiber. And you don't even need to treat it with Frame Saver.

I like steel, too -- three of my five bikes have steel frames. But let's be realistic.
Old 11-11-22, 08:31 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Old 11-11-22, 08:44 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,390 Posts
Of the 4 frames I have broken, only 1 was aluminum, the other 3 were steel.
Likes For big john:
Old 11-11-22, 10:09 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
You know what else doesn't rust? Carbon fiber..
Aluminum also doesn't rust.
Old 11-11-22, 10:18 AM
Koyote

Aluminum also doesn't rust.
AL doesn't rust, but it can corrode. It also has the shortest fatigue life of any commonly-used bike frame material. CF, on the other hand, effectively has NO fatigue life.

There's nothing wrong with AL, but let's be realistic.
Old 11-11-22, 10:32 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26243 Post(s)
Liked 10,227 Times in 7,097 Posts
...hi. What's this thread about ?
Old 11-11-22, 10:37 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...hi. What's this thread about ?
Chocolate > vanilla.
Old 11-11-22, 10:47 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,272 Times in 7,224 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Chocolate > vanilla.
Uncorrect.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-11-22, 10:47 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
AL doesn't rust, but it can corrode. It also has the shortest fatigue life of any commonly-used bike frame material. CF, on the other hand, effectively has NO fatigue life.

Not sure what you are trying to say here, but the fatigue limit of steel and Ti is what makes stress cycle failure less of an issue while the lack of a fatigue limit for Al means that stress cycle failure is more of an issue. As a reminder, the fatigue limit, if it exists, is a level of stress below which an infinite number of stress events will not lead to stress failure.

Fiber-reinforced resins do not exhibit a fatigue limit, which makes stress failure harder to design for. Presumably, bike frame engineers are being very cautious and building in big strength safety margins to be on the safe side.

Also, current fiber-reinforced resins typically are using a resin that is relatively brittle which is an issue because initial fractures may be hard to detect and tend to fail catastrophically. There are promising new matrix options that will significantly reduce brittleness but are currently too expensive.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 11-11-22, 10:50 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Uncorrect.
I have no desire to try vanilla because I believe it's inferior to chocolate.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 11-11-22, 11:01 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by SpedFast
I've been doing so much research into frame materials that I actually forgot why I was looking in the first place, sorry. I'm looking for the holy grail of bikes. In other words, the single one that says, "Hey, you don't need those others." And that would make my DW very happy. She encourages me (I'm 73 btw) to do good in the neighborhood which is why I fix other people's bikes, cars, trailers, and whatever is needed. But she is now encouraging me to begin downsizing the herd. I'm looking for an endurance style bike that I can put full fenders on in the winter, ride strictly roads/mups. Don't need to fit anything wider than 28mm tires. And last, but definitely not least, not weigh as much as the iron I currently own. I've already donated several bikes to the local charity and I still have 2 sheds full. (They're small sheds) I need to get down to one though so the DW can have the other for a potting shed. My fave right now is an aluminum with carbon fork, but it's a racing geometry and after 30 miles I feel done in but love the speed and quickness of it. My second fave is vintage steel and so comfortable I can go all day on it, just much slower. I contemplated upgrading it to brifters and 700c wheels a while back, but that won't make it any lighter. The other's in the stable are mostly alloys with low end components that I never ride anymore. Carbon was my first choice, but then I started thinking maybe titanium. However, like I said earlier, my current fave is alum, so maybe just find an alum endurance bike with drop bars. Lots of nice ones out there. Too many options really. Just thought I would filter through what others thought and why. Thanks for all the input. Smokey
Sounds like a fun, albeit pricey quest. It's a tough choice I'm sure. Good luck, whatever you choose, given your criteria, it sounds like you'll end up with a great bike.
Likes For phughes:
Old 11-11-22, 11:07 AM
indyfabz

I've been doing so much research into frame materials that I actually forgot why I was looking in the first place, sorry.
Doesn't sound like an effective way to research something.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-11-22, 11:09 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 325 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Doesn't sound like an effective way to research something.
You are really a negative wave type person, aren't you?
Old 11-11-22, 11:11 AM
indyfabz

You are really a negative wave type person, aren't you?
No. Just pointing out a fact.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-11-22, 11:55 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Aluminum frames can be pretty damn strong and long lasting depending on the frame design, the type of aluminum used, and manufacturing process / quality control. Aluminum will only corrode if it comes in prolonged contact with corroded steel in wet salty conditions. Corrosion on aluminum frames is really a non-issue , I have never seen an aluminum frame corroded to a point that it was unusable.
Old 11-11-22, 12:41 PM
tomato coupe

Aluminum frames can be pretty damn strong and long lasting depending on the frame design, the type of aluminum used, and manufacturing process / quality control. Aluminum will only corrode if it comes in prolonged contact with corroded steel in wet salty conditions. Corrosion on aluminum frames is really a non-issue , I have never seen an aluminum frame corroded to a point that it was unusable.
There are many examples of aluminum bars that became severely corroded without any contact with corroded steel.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 11-11-22, 01:01 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
My experience with frame materials: Steel frames, the most comfortable and least comfortable frames were steel with several in between. Aluminum mountain bike frame: broke 2 main triangles and one rear chain stay. Titanium? Crack in seat tube. Carbon? No failures so far after over 15 years. Conclusion? These are not generic frame materials that you can judge by the material alone. I will not weigh in on the survey because it makes no sense
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 11-11-22, 01:07 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by ofajen
Not sure what you are trying to say here

Otto
I was trying to say that AL breaks more easily, but I obviously don't know the engineering terms. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 11-11-22, 01:15 PM
big john

I sweat a lot and I have corroded the cable stops more than half way through on an aluminum frame. Also corroded the top tube pretty bad on a steel frame because the paint was worn away by the brake cable.
Likes For big john:
Old 11-11-22, 02:11 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
There are many examples of aluminum bars that became severely corroded without any contact with corroded steel.
I've only few examples of aluminum drop bars getting corroded, but I've never seen any other types of aluminum handlebars getting corroded to a point of becoming unusable.
Old 11-11-22, 02:14 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by big john
I sweat a lot and I have corroded the cable stops more than half way through on an aluminum frame. Also corroded the top tube pretty bad on a steel frame because the paint was worn away by the brake cable.
Your sweat must be more toxic and corrosive than the road salt and de-icing chemicals that I ride through each winter here in my city ...
Old 11-11-22, 02:16 PM
JehD

Bikes: 1981 Bertin C34 - 2020 Electra Cruiser 7D - 2021 Mongoose Dolomite ALX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
It depends on the type of riding and a couple dozen other factors.
This is it for me. Road bikes I have ridden (I'm no connoisseur just an average Joe) I prefer steel IMHO its a less hard ride. On my Cruiser (like I said Im not a biking connoisseur) I prefer steel just like th feel and once its rolling along the extra weight isn't an issue. On my Fat bike the similar steel model is a figging tank so Aluminum gets the nod.
Likes For JehD:
Old 11-11-22, 02:27 PM
tomato coupe

I've only few examples of aluminum drop bars getting corroded, but I've never seen any other types of aluminum handlebars getting corroded to a point of becoming unusable.
The shape of the bar is irrelevant -- the fact is that aluminum can corrode, and there are many examples of aluminum bars corroding to support that.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 11-11-22, 02:29 PM
big john

Your sweat must be more toxic and corrosive than the road salt and de-icing chemicals that I ride through each winter here in my city ...
It's pretty bad. I had a pick up for years and I melted the paint off the door panel and corroded the top of the door and the steel backing on the felt around the window from resting my arm there.
Likes For big john:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.