Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Vvolt gates belt plus mid drive plus enviola hub

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-22, 03:03 PM
adlai

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts

Anyone have any experience? It looks like the ideal ebike configuration: mid drive with a belt drive and igh. Ideal because-- mid drive weight and configuration. Weakness of chain wear is solved by the belt drive. CVT drive prevents damage from a mis-shift, and inefficiency of the CVT drive is solved by the electric motor.

Only downside I can see is the expense (over $2k) and weight being about 50 lbs.
Old 11-08-22, 06:57 PM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
I have been commuting on a Priority current, which has the same configuration: mid-drive, belt, and a NuVinci hub. I am pretty happy with it. I think I should have gotten a conventional Internal Geared Hub.

It has been a pretty good commuter bike. You are not going to find much, comparably equipped, for less than $2K.
Old 11-09-22, 03:18 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
The Gates and Enviolo is a great way to go but have never heard of that motor which is not great for support in the long term. I would go and test ride one at your local VVolt dealer and make sure they are going to support the product and that the bike fits and is comfortable.
Old 11-10-22, 09:37 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 614 Posts
AFAICT, VVolt is all online, but a somewhat more viable alternative than the usual relabeling operations since they're associated with Shower's Pass, FME a good company.
Old 11-15-22, 06:44 PM
adlai

Originally Posted by veganbikes
The Gates and Enviolo is a great way to go but have never heard of that motor which is not great for support in the long term. I would go and test ride one at your local VVolt dealer and make sure they are going to support the product and that the bike fits and is comfortable.
I looked it up. You can demo them in moosejaw stores... which are very few in number.
Old 11-15-22, 08:15 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by adlai
I looked it up. You can demo them in moosejaw stores... which are very few in number.
That is good, I would go try one and see what ya think and make sure they are up for supporting it.
Old 11-17-22, 08:10 PM
adlai

There are very few Moosejaw stores. I just ordered one. Wish me luck.
Old 11-18-22, 04:01 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by adlai
There are very few Moosejaw stores. I just ordered one. Wish me luck.
That is the thing, you want to make sure you have good support behind it first. Gates and Enviolo yes, Gates through Gates and Enivolo through QBP (one of largest bicycle parts distributors in the U.S.) that is pretty easy but hopefully Vvolts motor and other parts of theirs has support and a local shop is willing to help you set it all up and help when you need service. Good luck.