Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Help buying wife a bike for xmas - hybrid / road type

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Help buying wife a bike for xmas - hybrid / road type

Old 11-11-22, 07:37 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Please Let The wife go alone to the bike shop and get What Bike She wants.
Cannot ECHO enough this suggestion..........
Get her a gift certificate,
take her to the bike shop,
let HER pick the ride.
Then, go riding with her.
With her, means....
she picks the route,
pace and when to stop, etc.
You get the ice cream, lunch, snacks, etc
Soon she will become your riding partner.
My partner and I have been riding TWOgether for 40 years now.
She picks the bike.
Likes For martianone:
Old 11-11-22, 08:32 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,003 Posts
I know you said you did not want used, but you should keep an eye out on the used market, as I picked up this fantastic bike for my wife from someone that bought a bike during the lockdown and decided she was ready to move on to a drop bar bike and did not believe in N+1. This thing was in like new condition and I saved glorious amounts of money and even picked up a new set of wheels and still paid less than what the new cost would be. She loves it.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 11-11-22 at 08:36 PM.
Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 11-11-22, 09:52 PM
sixer

Bikes: 1982 Mercian Vincitore, 2014 Fitwell DeGroot, 1999 Raleigh M80, 1968 Schwinn Stingray, 2002 Ibex Classic 3300, 1978 Kabuki Track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
Order I'd follow:

1 gift certificate and she picks it out
2 e bike. If she's not riding now an e-bike will actually help her feel like riding, especially if it involves lugging a kid.
3 canyon bicycles. Lightweight. Good quality. Sale going on right now. They'll ship it to wherever you want it.
4 major brands - trek specialized Cannondale liv Kona. I would go used myself, especially since you don't want to spend much and there's a good chance she won't ride it much, but that doesn't work with the shipping idea.
Old 11-11-22, 10:31 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,848 Times in 1,063 Posts
Originally Posted by martianone
Cannot ECHO enough this suggestion..........
Get her a gift certificate,
take her to the bike shop,
let HER pick the ride.
Then, go riding with her.
With her, means....
she picks the route,
pace and when to stop, etc.
You get the ice cream, lunch, snacks, etc
Soon she will become your riding partner.
My partner and I have been riding TWOgether for 40 years now.
She picks the bike.
I don't agree

the more knowledgeable person should make the decision - or at a minimum assist in the decision
Likes For t2p:
Old 11-12-22, 12:53 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by sixer
Order I'd follow:

1 gift certificate and she picks it out
2 e bike. If she's not riding now an e-bike will actually help her feel like riding, especially if it involves lugging a kid.
3 canyon bicycles. Lightweight. Good quality. Sale going on right now. They'll ship it to wherever you want it.
4 major brands - trek specialized Cannondale liv Kona. I would go used myself, especially since you don't want to spend much and there's a good chance she won't ride it much, but that doesn't work with the shipping idea.
My problem with a Canyon is leaning. I dislike the frame geometry and I don't see a woman liking it either. Depends of course on the woman........
Old 11-12-22, 12:55 AM
StarBiker

Originally Posted by jaxgtr
I know you said you did not want used, but you should keep an eye out on the used market, as I picked up this fantastic bike for my wife from someone that bought a bike during the lockdown and decided she was ready to move on to a drop bar bike and did not believe in N+1. This thing was in like new condition and I saved glorious amounts of money and even picked up a new set of wheels and still paid less than what the new cost would be. She loves it.

Problem is will she like it. I never see any good prices on my local CL......maybe facebook? Nah, not there either.
Old 11-12-22, 06:49 AM
SirLeaflock

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Priority Classic Plus Gotham-Edition

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I highly recommend Priority Bicycles for the application you describe. A quiet, grease-free belt that is always ready to go is wonderful, whether the bike is rarely used or it has sat out in the rain for a few days. They even sell a child seat and rack on the website if you want to keep purchasing simple. If your wife isn't much of a rider (my wife hadn't really ridden since she was a kid and likely never on a bike that fit well), I'd also suggest getting the child carrier for your bike. (and maybe expect to buy a new saddle. I'm not very picky, but the saddle on the Classic Plus Gotham is the worst for me bike seat I have ever used). I use a Classic Plus Gotham for year round commuting and it's looking like I'm picking up one of their 20" bikes for one of my kids when they go on sale in a week.
Old 11-12-22, 07:13 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
GO TO YOUR LOCAL SHOP! Seriously guessing is great for the Price is Right but a bike someone is going to ride not so good. I get that you are going out of state for the holidays, buy her a gift card and right a really sweet note, then when you get back plan a nice day where you take her to her favorite breakfast spot (or cook her breakfast) then go to the shop and let her choose and then maybe take her out to a nice dinner and the next day plan for a ride on the new bike (assuming they are able to get it exit tuned that day or the next). I here it all the time "but but but but but but but" and my answer remains the same because if they are able to ride a bike they are able to come into the shop and help pick it out and while yes having a big present to give someone is nice it is nicer when they have a say in it and can try different stuff and get a real feel for it all.

I know if someone bought me a bike without my involvement I wouldn't be as happy especially if it didn't fit or didn't shift well or whatever the case might be and now I am stuck with something I may not want to ride.
Reading through the responses, this is the best answer yet. I would not buy a bike I couldn't test ride first. It may be the best bike on paper, but what if she doesn't like the position or the way it rides?

I would have her take test rides on more than one bike so she can find exactly what she likes. Also, don't get too hung up on one brand. There are many great brands out there. Lastly, make sure the shop you buy from will put her and her new bike on a trainer, watch her pedal and make adjustments to dial in her fit just right. An ill fitting bike will cause her to lose interest. Don't make that mistake.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 11-12-22, 08:26 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by DonkeyShow
Ask what she likes/wants and buy that one. They're all gonna be equally crap if buying new at ur price point.
Big time incorrect. 800-1000 gets you a bike that will last a lifetime, with durable, functional components.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 11-12-22, 08:35 AM
DonkeyShow

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by paul barnard
big time incorrect. 800-1000 gets you a bike that will last a lifetime, with durable, functional components.
$500*

Last edited by DonkeyShow; 11-12-22 at 08:48 AM.
Likes For DonkeyShow:
Old 11-12-22, 09:20 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by whistleblower
I'm looking for a hybrid-type bike for my wife for xmas. It will be ridden in the neighborhood, on paved trails, maybe around town. No dirt, no mountain. Want something onto which we can add a kid seat for the next 12-18 months until the youngest is riding their own bike. She is semi-athletic, 5'7" 130lbs. Maybe she gets into it and will want to ride more, but generally speaking the bike will be used for family rides (meaning, slow comfortable rides on easy terrain).

Overwhelmed at the number of options out there. Think I saw a stat that there are >150 bike manufacturers in the US alone, then multiply manufacturer count by bike models per manufacturer then by number of component/options etc etc etc. Doesn't help someone who tends to overthink purchases.

I started this thinking I'd like to spend $500 and am quickly realizing that I should increase that to $800, $1000 max. I don't want used.

I like the trek FX line, seems to do everything we want, seems straight forward. That said, I get completely lost in the details. Does she need the FX3 vs FX2? No idea...

Say you have $800 +/- for a new hybrid bike, which one would you purchase and why?

Thanks in advance for any guidance. I realize this is a bit of an open-ended question and appreciate input from those who know more than me.

And before the standard "go to your LBS" response - we are doing Christmas out of state this year so I need to be able to order it, ship it to xmas destination, and assemble it onsite. I have a good relationship with the LBS given the volume of flat tires my children produce.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum. It's a good one as you'll see, but often a substantial drift away from the question you ask, as you've seen. There is a LOT going on with this post.

An important question is will the manufacturer of your choice ship it to you? Covid changed things, but you may find that the manufacturer of choice will not ship to a person.

You are going to assemble a bike, but you use a bike shop to repair flats?

Between the FX2 and FX3, I think there is enough of a difference to warrant the $350 price difference. Be warned, that those bikes have fairly "aggressive" ergos. A couple of notes of worth. Generally speaking, there's not much difference in bikes at the same price point. While there isn't MUCH difference, generally you get a little less with Trek and other high name recognition brands, than you might with lesser known brands. Name brand doesn't really matter in the frame, and the parts you get are all fairly close at a given price point.

For the kind of rides you have described, and a hope that she will "get into it," I'd suggest looking into more upright ergos. Given that you want to tote around a kid that will make the bike top heavy, I'd also recommend a women's specific frame. It will allow her to more easily get both feet on the ground for balance. If not women's specific, one with a lot of top tube slope. As you look at specs, standover height is an important number.

Everyone is different, but I'd take mechanical discs over hydraulic in this instance.

I like these for your stated purpose, with the Marin being the one I would choose.

https://www.cannondale.com/en-us/bik...-2-remixte-ltd

https://www.cannondale.com/en-us/bik...mens-5-remixte

https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/2023-kentfield-st-2

https://konaworld.com/dew.cfm
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 11-12-22, 09:22 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by DonkeyShow
$500*
OP, this is an example of the "drift" that I mentioned. They apparently missed this part of your post.

"quickly realizing that I should increase that to $800, $1000 max."
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 11-12-22, 09:28 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

OP, I should also mention that for this type bike there is no "perfect" size. With seats that can move up and down and fore and aft ,and inexpensive stem replacements that can move handlebars in and out and higher and lower, you won't need a professional fit to find a good match.
Old 11-12-22, 11:01 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,953 Times in 2,643 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
Reading through the responses, this is the best answer yet. I would not buy a bike I couldn't test ride first. It may be the best bike on paper, but what if she doesn't like the position or the way it rides?

I would have her take test rides on more than one bike so she can find exactly what she likes. Also, don't get too hung up on one brand. There are many great brands out there. Lastly, make sure the shop you buy from will put her and her new bike on a trainer, watch her pedal and make adjustments to dial in her fit just right. An ill fitting bike will cause her to lose interest. Don't make that mistake.
+1 a fit is very important. Now just slapping a bike on a trainer and doing a more static fit by a random employee is OK at best. Going to see an actual fitter who specializes in bike fits and does a proper dynamic fit like say Retül is going to really make a big impact to ANYONE who rides a bike aside from growing children and those who literally only ride once in a blue moon.

Most shop employees might know some bits and bobs about fit and can adjust the seatpost up and down and may even move a saddle but most of them will have not gone through school for fitting and sports medicine and stuff like that so relying on them for fitting is not ideal. I tell my customers I can get you sort of OK but a fitter will actually dial you in. I have some knowledge but not nearly enough knowledge to be a fitter.
Old 11-12-22, 07:38 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
I don't agree

the more knowledgeable person should make the decision - or at a minimum assist in the decision
Totally Wrong approach........
Rider should pick out the bike and get a good fit.
Likes For martianone:
Old 11-13-22, 11:25 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
I'm looking for a hybrid-type bike for my wife for xmas. It will be ridden in the neighborhood, on paved trails, maybe around town. No dirt, no mountain. Want something onto which we can add a kid seat for the next 12-18 months until the youngest is riding their own bike. She is semi-athletic, 5'7" 130lbs. Maybe she gets into it and will want to ride more, but generally speaking the bike will be used for family rides (meaning, slow comfortable rides on easy terrain).

Overwhelmed at the number of options out there. Think I saw a stat that there are >150 bike manufacturers in the US alone, then multiply manufacturer count by bike models per manufacturer then by number of component/options etc etc etc. Doesn't help someone who tends to overthink purchases.

I started this thinking I'd like to spend $500 and am quickly realizing that I should increase that to $800, $1000 max. I don't want used.

I like the trek FX line, seems to do everything we want, seems straight forward. That said, I get completely lost in the details. Does she need the FX3 vs FX2? No idea...

Say you have $800 +/- for a new hybrid bike, which one would you purchase and why?

Thanks in advance for any guidance. I realize this is a bit of an open-ended question and appreciate input from those who know more than me.

And before the standard "go to your LBS" response - we are doing Christmas out of state this year so I need to be able to order it, ship it to xmas destination, and assemble it onsite. I have a good relationship with the LBS given the volume of flat tires my children produce.

Thanks!
Take a look at the Cannondale Quick series. They have some in your price range, your adjusted price range that is, and they are a great bike, and great value. My wife has had one since 2012 and absolutely loves it. I sold a friend on one and she loves hers as well. The The Quick series is my favorite hybrid type bike, one I would ride if I didn't already have the bikes I have. It's just a nice bike.
Old 11-14-22, 04:42 PM
StarBiker

Originally Posted by phughes
Take a look at the Cannondale Quick series. They have some in your price range, your adjusted price range that is, and they are a great bike, and great value. My wife has had one since 2012 and absolutely loves it. I sold a friend on one and she loves hers as well. The The Quick series is my favorite hybrid type bike, one I would ride if I didn't already have the bikes I have. It's just a nice bike.
Which you can buy at REI and still get that one year return policy.
Likes For StarBiker:
Old 11-14-22, 04:57 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,575 Times in 2,339 Posts

Thanks!
I got my wife several bikes over the years. she's currently very happy w/ a trek fx stagger. like a step-thru but not. easy to get on & off. she's fairly petite so had to be sure I got the smallest frame # in that model
Old 11-15-22, 08:10 AM
whistleblower

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Excellent discussion, very helpful.

Originally Posted by Chuck Naill
That said, I really like these Kona offerings
I think Santa just unintentionally found Dad's xmas present. The Libre, wow!

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Welcome to the forum. It's a good one as you'll see, but often a substantial drift away from the question you ask, as you've seen. There is a LOT going on with this post.
Is this the same Paul Barnard from thehulltruth? If so, small world. Appreciate the guidance and feedback, very helpful.

Originally Posted by phughes
Take a look at the Cannondale Quick series.
This one might be the winner

Originally Posted by StarBiker
Which you can buy at REI and still get that one year return policy.
REI nearby where we will be spending the holidays. Stars might be aligning on the Cannodale.

Again, quality thoughts for which I'm appreciative. Will keep everyone posted!

[still overwhelmed at the sheer volume of component options, but I suppose that's what keeps this sport interesting. I've ridden bikes since I was a child though never have paid attention. Purchased a deeply discounted carbon CX bike on a whim 10 years ago for a grand and have enjoyed thousands of miles on her - fast and light. That said, I couldn't name a single component other than the Thule Yepp mini currently sitting up front. Cheers!]
Likes For whistleblower:
Old 11-15-22, 08:32 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Is this the same Paul Barnard from thehulltruth? If so, small world. Appreciate the guidance and feedback, very helpful

Yeppers. We have a pretty good bicycle thread going there.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 11-15-22, 11:40 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked 605 Times in 362 Posts
She's going to say "I saw a nice looking white one at Costco for $200" and then I'm going to say "but I think if we spend more we'll get a higher quality bike" and then she's going to rattle off every child expense we are facing between now and college graduation in support of purchasing the Costco bike

Just get the $200 Costco one and if she uses it enough to break something, look at getting her something from a big manufacturer (like Liv or Trek) where you both know you'll get use out of it.

If you're going out of town, I don't think I'd bother with the hassle of shipping it to there, building it and then shipping it back. Especially if she's going to complain about the cost. Get her something small and fun for the day, and a card with a picture of her new bike in it or something.
Old 11-15-22, 04:02 PM
whistleblower

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I find it curious that very few sites list the bike weight, which seems to be an important determining factor
Old 11-15-22, 04:14 PM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked 605 Times in 362 Posts
I find it curious that very few sites list the bike weight, which seems to be an important determining factor
I don't think the weight of a bike is that important for most people. Given a 100lb+ rider a few lbs of bike isn't that much of a difference.
My 21lb gravel bike doesn't feel notable different from my 28lb gravel bike, once there's 220lbs of me on it!

For the higher end stuff, the weight will depend on what parts are swapped out for the build, but it's still useful to get an indication.
Old 11-15-22, 04:23 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
I believe part of the reason you don't see more weights listed are that the weight will be different for each frame size and may even vary within a model and level during a given production year.
Old 11-20-22, 11:10 AM
goodwrench84

Bikes: Trek 4300, Schwinn Le Tour, Specialized Allez, Trek 700 Multitrack & more

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I agree with a few comments to let your wife pick it out after test riding it and I would try to persuade her to stick to a known common brand, Surly, Giant, Trek, Cannondale, Specialized, Fuji & GT but not a LBS off brand that look nice and have all the modern components but brands I have never heard of. The used market is a very good option with a lot of vintage chrome moly hybrids or MTBs with no suspension and hardly any usage like the 93 Trek Multitrack I purchased last year for $100.00. Some new rubber and tune up and it could be a quality bike that could last you a lifetime and you wouldn’t be out that much $ if you guys decided cycling is not your cup of tea.