Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Help! Bizarre steering issue

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 11-21-22, 07:20 PM
queenmildew

Bikes: 1994 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

hi all --

I crashed my Bridgestone on a trail in May this year & initially thought it to be (luckily) entirely undamaged. however over the last few months, an issue has come to my attention with the steering & balance of the bike. The best I can explain it is that when the bars are centered/inline with the wheel, the bike feels unbalanced and has a tendency to lurch to the left, especially when turning at tighter angles or riding out of the saddle. initially i thought that the stem or handlebar must have been bent, but after replacing both parts I have found that the issue persists. For whatever reason, the bike steers the best when her bars are tilted about 5-7 degrees to the right of the front wheel!

So far I have replaced the stem, put on a new pair of drop bars, loosened the headset, TIGHTENED the headset, all to no avail. The wheel is centered in the fork and I am certain that it is seated in the dropouts. I have a short commute of 4mi round trip & refuse to pay for parking @ work, so I have just been toughing it out so far, but it's killing my drive to go on recreational rides with a bike that feels unstable and unpredictable. I am a decently experienced home mechanic, but have never encountered something like this before and don't understand how the bike could not steer straight even when the bars are in perfect alignment. I'm working on a frame-up build for another bike right now for other reasons, but I have room for only one and will need to diagnose/fix this issue before putting it up on Craigslist.

My suspects so far: a bent fork/steerer or crushed/worn ball bearings (original 1" headset, unsealed). Any ideas? Similar experiences?
Old 11-21-22, 08:10 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 328 Posts
Those symptoms after a crash definitely point to bent fork.
Likes For bboy314:
Old 11-21-22, 08:35 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,429 Times in 1,343 Posts
Originally Posted by bboy314
Those symptoms after a crash definitely point to bent fork.
+1.

The bike doesn't care which way the bar or stem are pointed.

When a bike tracks to one side it's usually a bent fork. It could also be a bent rear triangle.

If you're super lucky, it might be that the front is pulled partway out of the dropout, but that would be only sligtly short of a mirricle.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 11-22-22, 11:21 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 2,486 Times in 1,188 Posts
Got a picture? Nothing like a bent fork to stir up the crowd.
Old 11-22-22, 12:25 PM
queenmildew

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by curbtender
Got a picture? Nothing like a bent fork to stir up the crowd.
that's the thing -- it's not visibly bent! I'll have to see if it's more obvious once it's off the bike but I don't have anything else to ride at the moment so I'll have to wait until I can find an inexpensive fork on ebay. Sorry to disappoint haha
Old 11-22-22, 01:06 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Picture and visually looking at it might not help you, but some here will be very familiar with how that fork and headset is supposed to look and they'll even draw lines on the pics you post to figure out what the angles of your fork and headtube are.

But if you don't want the help.......
Old 11-22-22, 01:31 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26243 Post(s)
Liked 10,227 Times in 7,097 Posts
Originally Posted by queenmildew
that's the thing -- it's not visibly bent! I'll have to see if it's more obvious once it's off the bike but I don't have anything else to ride at the moment so I'll have to wait until I can find an inexpensive fork on ebay. Sorry to disappoint haha
...I wouldn't buy a fork on ebay, that you cannot return for a refund, unless I had a competent diagnosis of the problem.
Just pulling and replacing stuff at random is not the most effective way to address a mechanical issue.

It might be worth taking your bicycle to a professional at this point. Just a suggeston.
Old 11-22-22, 01:48 PM
queenmildew

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Iride01
Picture and visually looking at it might not help you, but some here will be very familiar with how that fork and headset is supposed to look and they'll even draw lines on the pics you post to figure out what the angles of your fork and headtube are.

But if you don't want the help.......
now I sure don't recall saying all that! Let me get my tenth post in here so it will let me post an image. No bend was visible while the fork was mounted although I have just taken it off the bike and suspect that the left blade is twisted, looking at it from a worm's eye view.
Old 11-22-22, 01:59 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26243 Post(s)
Liked 10,227 Times in 7,097 Posts
now I sure don't recall saying all that! Let me get my tenth post in here so it will let me post an image. No bend was visible while the fork was mounted although I have just taken it off the bike and suspect that the left blade is twisted, looking at it from a worm's eye view.
...this is what a fork alignment gauge looks like. You can see how it measures both centering, spacing, and alignment simultaneously. There are ways you can measure each of these things without the gauge, but if you need to straighten something, it's quicker and easier with a gauge.

Old 11-22-22, 02:11 PM
queenmildew

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

well, go ahead and take a gander! The left dropout looks to be out of line, although it's close -- will have to call the shop & have them do more than eyeball it. I thiiiink the rear triangle is fine, attached a pic anyway -- although the bike fell on its left side with a basket & rack attached to the front cantilever posts so the fork explanation does seem more plausible. Thanks all for the input
Old 11-22-22, 02:36 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
I agree with the others who think of your fork as the primary cause of the problem. It could also be because of misalignment of the main triangle. Trying to fix this problem by changing stem and/or handlebars is akin to performing a colonoscopy by threading the endoscope down the patient's throat
Old 11-22-22, 02:43 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

If you have a piece of string (or yardstick) and ruler, you can do a quick (rough) check on the bike. Simply loop the string over the top tube and stretch down to the axle to establish a straight line. Then measure in to the crown on each side. If it's obviously off center, you know, if not, it's at least not bent badly.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 11-22-22, 02:49 PM
grumpus

Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked 403 Times in 306 Posts
they'll even draw lines on the pics you post to figure out
You can't tell much from a photo that might incorporate lens distortion.
Old 11-22-22, 02:53 PM
grumpus

Originally Posted by FBinNY
The bike doesn't care which way the bar or stem are pointed.
But the orientation of the handlebar will affect the steering and weight you apply through your arms, and your perception of steering pull.
Old 11-22-22, 03:07 PM
grumpus

The best I can explain it is that when the bars are centered/inline with the wheel, the bike feels unbalanced and has a tendency to lurch to the left
I have a bike that does that - I slid off on diesel at fairly low speed and landed hard on my hip. There was no obvious damage to the bike but a few weeks later one of the pedal spindles sheered off, suggesting that it had hit hard. I've never pulled the bike apart to figure out exactly what was bent - it seems unlikely it would be the fork because it didn't really hit anything, so I'm guessing a twist between head and seat tube.
Old 11-22-22, 03:32 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,356 Times in 2,034 Posts
A couple ways a fork can be "bent" or twisted.
Rear triangle checking.

Old 11-22-22, 03:51 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Originally Posted by grumpus
You can't tell much from a photo that might incorporate lens distortion.
By your own admission the photo might be distorted. So that means there will be times when it's not and in that case with the proper camera position you can tell a lot and compare to other bikes of the same model. Even pictures of those bikes.

And believe it or not, with the really new fangled technology of the last 30 years we can remove or at least account for distortion with the better photo editing software we can get for our PC's and Macbooks.

However the OP didn't give just a profile pic of the bike with the fork installed as I was hoping for. I've seen several people come here to BF with pictures of a fork that is obviously bent or a bent downtube putting the headtube at the wrong angle and they'd swear themselves nothing looked odd. Even though it very much did when compared to a pic of the same model.
Old 11-22-22, 04:09 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
I agree with the others who think of your fork as the primary cause of the problem. It could also be because of misalignment of the main triangle. Trying to fix this problem by changing stem and/or handlebars is akin to performing a colonoscopy by threading the endoscope down the patient's throat
more like treating athlete's foot with an enema.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 11-22-22, 04:38 PM
queenmildew

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
However the OP didn't give just a profile pic of the bike with the fork installed as I was hoping for. I've seen several people come here to BF with pictures of a fork that is obviously bent or a bent downtube putting the headtube at the wrong angle and they'd swear themselves nothing looked odd. Even though it very much did when compared to a pic of the same model.
here's one in profile, and a close-up of where the fork meets the head tube. The bottom half of the headset is aligned fine and I don't see any obvious bend in the direction of travel or otherwise. the crash in question came from a loss of traction in loose dirt -- luckily, there was no front-on impact so i don't believe it was bent backwards at all?

Last edited by queenmildew; 11-22-22 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-22-22, 07:07 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,790 Times in 2,270 Posts
This topic, frame/fork alignment, has been discussed many times before. There's quite a number of threads one can search for. here's one from 2017 where I describe a low cost "home" alignment check. Bike Pulls to the Left - Bike Forums My post (#16) has photos of what I used to do before I got my surface plate and fork "vise". One doesn't need fancy tooling or expensive jigs to do this stuff. It does help to have a mind that is good at spatial relationships (round hole, round peg) and can be patient enough to let the awareness develop. Andy
Old 11-22-22, 08:30 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34
more like treating athlete's foot with a mouthwash enema.
There, fixed that.
Old 11-22-22, 08:36 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by grumpus
But the orientation of the handlebar will affect the steering and weight you apply through your arms, and your perception of steering pull.
Humans are amazingly adaptable, and will very quickly compensate without even knowing they're doing so.

Likes For FBinNY:
Old 11-22-22, 08:36 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,578 Posts
queenmildew I would bring it to your local shop or frame builder to check it over. Like others have said distortion can have an effect and something could be off and we cannot tell as easily without seeing it in person. If you had a crash and especially if you had issues resultant to that crash I would want a professional to look at it in person just in case especially on a bike like that. Bridgestone RB-T are good bikes and worth having checked over.
Old 11-23-22, 01:07 AM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Schweinhund
There, fixed that.
strangely... Listerine is a home remedy for Fungal infections...
Likes For maddog34:
Old 11-23-22, 10:00 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 941 Posts
I think the steertube is bent forwards, from looking at the the lower headset. Did you experience any rotational binding in the fork rebuild? Very touchy rebuild?