Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

'73 Raleigh Competition BB axle length?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-22, 07:13 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 609 Posts

I'm trying to round up all the pieces to put my '73 Raleigh Competiton on the road. I'm not going all original but I am trying to stay period correct and all European content. While going through my stash of cranksets I discovered I had the correct TA Specialties 3 arm crankset that the bike would have come with new and a pretty nice one too. What length BB axle would this need? I put in an offer on a TA Specialties BB (and it has now been accepted) but at 122mm I'm pretty sure the axle is for a triple. What length do I need, symmetrical or asymetrical AND does it have to be TA Specialties/Stronglight? Whenever I parted out a bike I saved any axle that was any good for quite awhile and I have a small collection of them but nearly all are Japanese so I have to assume they won't work because that would be too easy.

Last edited by Murray Missile; 11-24-22 at 07:33 PM.
Old 11-24-22, 10:53 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,690 Times in 2,610 Posts
I usually use a 118mm BB for TA and Stronglight doubles.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 11-25-22, 07:32 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
I've always used a TA #344 spindle for a TA double. Those measure 114.5mm. The TA catalog also suggests a #373, 118mm spindle for a double, but I don't think I've seen one of those. The #374 spindle measures 121.5mm and is used for a triple.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 11-25-22, 12:55 PM
Ged117 

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 465 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by Murray Missile
I'm trying to round up all the pieces to put my '73 Raleigh Competiton on the road. I'm not going all original but I am trying to stay period correct and all European content. While going through my stash of cranksets I discovered I had the correct TA Specialties 3 arm crankset that the bike would have come with new and a pretty nice one too. What length BB axle would this need? I put in an offer on a TA Specialties BB (and it has now been accepted) but at 122mm I'm pretty sure the axle is for a triple. What length do I need, symmetrical or asymetrical AND does it have to be TA Specialties/Stronglight? Whenever I parted out a bike I saved any axle that was any good for quite awhile and I have a small collection of them but nearly all are Japanese so I have to assume they won't work because that would be too easy.
Hi Murray, funny that you should post this - I've got a TA Cyclotouriste triple ready for my '75 Competition, and I'm looking for the matching 122mm BB - I have the BB for the original 3-arm TA double, which should be the right fit for yours. The JA Stein crank puller just arrived in the mail, so if you like I could take mine apart this weekend, give it an inspection, and we could trade!

Ged
Old 11-25-22, 02:19 PM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by Ged117
Hi Murray, funny that you should post this - I've got a TA Cyclotouriste triple ready for my '75 Competition, and I'm looking for the matching 122mm BB - I have the BB for the original 3-arm TA double, which should be the right fit for yours. The JA Stein crank puller just arrived in the mail, so if you like I could take mine apart this weekend, give it an inspection, and we could trade!

Ged
My BB won't be here for a few days but I'd consider it as I don't see myself getting a TA or Stronglight triple any time soon. We should be able to just swap axles, everything else should be the same. I just ordered my Stronglight/TA puller a couple days ago.
Old 11-25-22, 02:23 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
My BB won't be here for a few days but I'd consider it as I don't see myself getting a TA or Stronglight triple any time soon. We should be able to just swap axles, everything else should be the same. I just ordered my Stronglight/TA puller a couple days ago.
The pullers are so fabulous!
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 11-25-22, 03:34 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts

Ged
Stein tools are good... when they are in stock
Old 11-25-22, 04:11 PM
Ged117 

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Now we're cooking with cheese. I'll take the BB apart tomorrow, and give the spindle a look, and if its serviceable I will PM you some photos, and if all goes well I'll stick it in the post.
Old 11-25-22, 04:12 PM
Ged117 

Originally Posted by repechage
Stein tools are good... when they are in stock
The Stronglight/TA puller from Stein is very nice quality, it wasn't cheap, but I figure I'll be servicing this TA crank and BB for years to come. Neither my local bike shop nor the vintage-oriented shop across town had the correct puller.
Likes For Ged117:
Old 11-25-22, 04:47 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
The 3-arm TA isn't a Cyclotouriste, which may or may not be significant WRT axle length. With a Cyclotouriste (Pro 5 vis), I'm using a 373 for a triple, and the chainline is as close to perfect for a 7 speed freewheel as I can discern. Not being an engineer, I'm limited to visually lining the middle chainwheel up with the middle cog The 344 was perfect for a double with both an Ultra-6 and 121 mm OLD and 7-speed and a 126 mm OLD.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 11-25-22, 04:53 PM
Murray Missile 

Now we're cooking with cheese. I'll take the BB apart tomorrow, and give the spindle a look, and if its serviceable I will PM you some photos, and if all goes well I'll stick it in the post.
You better wait until I have mine in hand. It's coming from Wisconsin, not that far away, but the way USPS works it will go right past my house in Illinois to the distribution centers either St. Louis or Hazelwood, Missouri and then back to illinois IF I'm lucky. Hazelwood is known as the Black Hole of the US Postal service, I've had a few packages that disappearred after arriving at Hazelwood........
Old 11-25-22, 07:45 PM
Ged117 

Originally Posted by philbob57
The 3-arm TA isn't a Cyclotouriste, which may or may not be significant WRT axle length. With a Cyclotouriste (Pro 5 vis), I'm using a 373 for a triple, and the chainline is as close to perfect for a 7 speed freewheel as I can discern. Not being an engineer, I'm limited to visually lining the middle chainwheel up with the middle cog The 344 was perfect for a double with both an Ultra-6 and 121 mm OLD and 7-speed and a 126 mm OLD.
I think the 373 is 121.5mm, so if Murray's is 122, should be pretty close. I plan to run the original five-cog freewheel or source a Suntour Ultra-6, with the Maillard 700 hub. Did you have to spread the triangle to fit the Ultra-6? Do you think its worth it?

You better wait until I have mine in hand. It's coming from Wisconsin, not that far away, but the way USPS works it will go right past my house in Illinois to the distribution centers either St. Louis or Hazelwood, Missouri and then back to illinois IF I'm lucky. Hazelwood is known as the Black Hole of the US Postal service, I've had a few packages that disappearred after arriving at Hazelwood........
No worries, I planned to take the bottom bracket apart this weekend anyway. Soon enough the garage will be uninhabitable, so I'm shifting the Competition inside for the winter clean and preservation of the frame process before building it up just before spring. I'll PM you later on.

Cheers
Ged
Likes For Ged117:
Old 11-25-22, 08:39 PM
philbob57

I've seen several specs for the TA 373 spindle between 117-120 mm in length, IIRC, and 122-125.5 for the 374, IIRC.

I rode a lot of miles with a Sakae Ringyo axle that put the chainwheels too close to the BB, so the chainline centered on the 2nd largest cog in my U-6 freewheel instead of between the 3rd and 4th cogs. I used the freewheel until a few years ago (on my one bike) without any problems, other than aesthetic, on the bike or myself.

But I don't know what BB and spindle go with the TA Pro that came on the Competition. My advice is to try it, ride it if it's ridable, and shoot an email to Specialites TA in France to get their input. I am OCD enough to want the chainline right, but with a 120 or 125 mm hub, cross chaining is much less a problem than with a 130 or 135 mm hub, so the chainline is less critical, in my non-engineer's opinion.

Sure, I'd want a pretty chainline, but I'd ride first and then get the chainline correct, but an engineer may correct me - but, please, only if it really is a problem in the short term.
Old 11-25-22, 09:56 PM
santa fe 2926 

Bikes: 1985 Roberts SLX, Mercian 531, 1984 Torpado SLX,1981/82 Peugeot PSV-10, 1978 Charlie Roberts full touring, 1970 Charlie Roberts 531 road.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 61 Posts
I’ve got a few TA 344’s, in 114.5, and 116 lengths.
Old 11-26-22, 03:35 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
The Stronglight/TA puller from Stein is very nice quality, it wasn't cheap, but I figure I'll be servicing this TA crank and BB for years to come. Neither my local bike shop nor the vintage-oriented shop across town had the correct puller.
Stein was out of stock, so I bought a budget double sided puller from Poland.
Likes For repechage:
Old 11-26-22, 04:32 PM
philbob57

I’ve got a few TA 344’s, in 114.5, and 116 lengths.
Are precision and standardization over-rated?
Old 11-26-22, 05:51 PM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by repechage
Stein was out of stock, so I bought a budget double sided puller from Poland.
That's what mine is too.
Old 11-27-22, 05:27 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
Just spit balling, but what would the chainline look like if you flip the triple spindle?
Old 11-27-22, 02:41 PM
Murray Missile 

It was in St. Louis not Hazelwood this morning but I've had St. Louis send stuff to Hazelwood before.... Hopefully it will be here Tuesday.

My Stronglight/TA crank tool is in the US too.