Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

'72 PX-10 rehab/650b conversion

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

'72 PX-10 rehab/650b conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-22, 09:41 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by ehcoplex

Aside from really technical single-track/mountain-bike trails, I feel like I can pretty much go anywhere on this bike... and with style, comfort and pretty decent efficiency. Sooner or later I'll sort out a decaleur, so the rando bag is a little more secure (but TBH, I've been on some pretty rough roads and it's done fine with the cinch-cords to the bars...), but other than that I feel like the bike really needs nothing.
Looks killer.
Old 11-27-22, 02:45 AM
cyclostam

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
ehcoplex Hi. Really nice bike. I have an old Peugeot with vitus tubes, I would like to convert it to 650b but I do not have the money for new wheels.

Anyway, I see that you have change the pedals. Did you re-thread the cranks. The Spidel cranks on my Peugeot have French thread that is different from contemporary cranks.
Old 11-27-22, 03:01 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclostam
ehcoplex Hi. Really nice bike. I have an old Peugeot with vitus tubes, I would like to convert it to 650b but I do not have the money for new wheels.

Anyway, I see that you have change the pedals. Did you re-thread the cranks. The Spidel cranks on my Peugeot have French thread that is different from contemporary cranks.
It can be pretty easy if you're careful and can make a pair of these.

https://www.bikeforums.net/22721869-post30.html
Old 11-27-22, 07:44 AM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 757 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclostam

Yes, I got a cheap tap set from eBay or Amazon and re-threaded them to take 'English' pedals. I'm sold on clipless, so that was the only way to go. I considered making my own taps from an English-thread pedal, but the sharper threads of a new tap seemed like a better/safer idea. A pretty simple & easy job, just take it slow, use some oil, etc.
Old 11-28-22, 01:43 AM
cyclostam

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
ehcoplex merziac Thank you.
Likes For cyclostam: