Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Strava local legends

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Strava local legends

Old 07-21-22, 12:22 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2642 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
Strava local legends

I haven't been using strava much lately and I recently found that I lost all my local legends (was like 10 and only 2 were somewhat noteworthy) and was kind of upset, then I felt ridiculous and stupid for caring. The gamification of exercise on strava is kind of wild, I guess if it gets people to ride more its a good thing? I can't KOM (except for 1 but its a strava glitch) because there are really fast people around here, normally I compare myself to the women and am proud if I can get a time that would get me in the top 10. How do you feel about strava local legends?
Old 07-21-22, 12:30 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22506 Post(s)
Liked 8,829 Times in 4,110 Posts
Local Legend is a ******g joke IMO.

p.s. farking joke.....you know.
Old 07-21-22, 12:33 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10242 Post(s)
Liked 11,594 Times in 5,942 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
I haven't been using strava much lately and I recently found that I lost all my local legends (was like 10 and only 2 were somewhat noteworthy) and was kind of upset, then I felt ridiculous and stupid for caring. The gamification of exercise on strava is kind of wild, I guess if it gets people to ride more its a good thing? I can't KOM (except for 1 but its a strava glitch) because there are really fast people around here, normally I compare myself to the women and am proud if I can get a time that would get me in the top 10. How do you feel about strava local legends?
It's an indicator that you're riding the same route over and over. I get them fairly frequently, since I tend to stick with routes I know well. It's not an indicator of anything other than how much of a creature of habit you are.

I just checked, and I'm "Local Legend" on 5 segments. Big deal.

The only way I'll ever get a KOM around here would be if I defined a segment on private property! Though I gotta say, some of the KOM times really make me suspect people didn't turn off their head units before they put the bike in the car!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-21-22, 12:50 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by genejockey

The only way I'll ever get a KOM around here would be if I defined a segment on private property! Though I gotta say, some of the KOM times really make me suspect people didn't turn off their head units before they put the bike in the car!
There are some segments on Alameda de las Pulgas that aren't that highly contested but would still be a noteworthy achievement, you could get a KOM drafting a dump truck.

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 07-21-22 at 12:55 PM.
Old 07-21-22, 01:29 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked 1,169 Times in 682 Posts
i'd like to turn it off. there are too many segments that i do where it is like a ping pong game. i get it, then i lose it, then i get it again, &c. it gets silly at times, a ilttle like dueling banjos.

Likes For spelger:
Old 07-21-22, 01:32 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked 1,169 Times in 682 Posts
The only way I'll ever get a KOM around here would be if I defined a segment on private property!
you can make a segment not on private property and take the KOM. just make it look like intestinal fortitude.
Likes For spelger:
Old 07-21-22, 01:43 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
I quit putting any rides up on Strava a long time ago. Strava routinely tells my son that he is a local legend and his times are way slower than my times for the same route. I suppose if I were to put my rides up on Strava they'd call me a god! And honestly, I'm not that fast.

I sort of get it that Strava is trying to be a social place for cyclists to cheer and encourage each other, but the computerized encouragement part is a big turn off for me.
Old 07-21-22, 01:43 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I always wonder if people who live way out in the sticks rack up Local Legend badges on segments that only see a few riders each day.

I have the opposite situation. I just checked a random segment on a route I rode this morning. I've got 26 efforts on this route over the last 90 days. The local legend leader has 83 efforts in the last 90 days. The segment has seen 26,376 efforts from 7,270 athletes over that same time period.

Local Legends are serious stuff around here...
Old 07-21-22, 01:48 PM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by Iride01
Strava routinely tells my son that he is a local legend and his times are way slower than my times for the same route. I suppose if I were to put my rides up on Strava they'd call me a god! And honestly, I'm not that fast.
You're thinking of KOM's maybe? Strava's "Local Legend" moniker doesn't have anything to do with speed. It's entirely based on the number of times someone rides the segment over a 90 day period. It's not something I've ever heard of anyone getting competitive over.
Old 07-21-22, 01:54 PM
msu2001la

Though I gotta say, some of the KOM times really make me suspect people didn't turn off their head units before they put the bike in the car!
This is actually quite common and sometimes done intentionally, which is really sad. I think there's some kind of mechanism on Strava to flag suspicious KOM's, which Strava will then review and take corrective action.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 07-21-22, 02:06 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
You're thinking of KOM's maybe? Strava's "Local Legend" moniker doesn't have anything to do with speed. It's entirely based on the number of times someone rides the segment over a 90 day period. It's not something I've ever heard of anyone getting competitive over.
I wasn't responding to the OP's KOM part of the question. Just the Local Legend that was in the OP's title and closing comment. I wasn't thinking anything about KOM's.... which I do have one by the way.

Maybe you should address the OP.
Old 07-21-22, 02:09 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 681 Posts
I laugh every time I get one... because it's always this one segment that I take whenever I don't feel like doing the climb on my normal routes. In other words, I'm being rewarded for chickening out too often!
Old 07-21-22, 02:15 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10242 Post(s)
Liked 11,594 Times in 5,942 Posts
This is actually quite common and sometimes done intentionally, which is really sad. I think there's some kind of mechanism on Strava to flag suspicious KOM's, which Strava will then review and take corrective action.
I've heard about that, but honestly, I'd have to care a lot more. There's so much distance between me and the top of the list, just because there are SO MANY cyclists here all riding the same roads. For example, a few Sundays back, I got a PR on one segment. I've ridden that segment 87 times on Strava, so that's actually pretty good - FOR ME. But my PR was only 4304th out of 22,613 riders on that segment. SO, trimming the unlikelies doesn't do me any good.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-21-22, 02:19 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9519 Post(s)
Liked 6,264 Times in 3,453 Posts
I have one, but it was due to turning down the wrong street in a neighborhood where I don't think there are any other riders than kids on tricycles.

Every time I see it I flex.
Old 07-21-22, 02:58 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 681 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
I have one, but it was due to turning down the wrong street in a neighborhood where I don't think there are any other riders than kids on tricycles.

Every time I see it I flex.
Well SOMEONE made it a segment.
Old 07-21-22, 03:33 PM
Greatestalltime

Bikes: Tcr advanced sl & Protos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
There is a place to flag them, but Strava doesn’t make it easy to do. You can’t use the app. You have to open the browser and find the guy’s time and so on.

Strava should have something to looks at these automatically. Or at least make it simple to flag and bring it to their attention.
Old 07-21-22, 04:01 PM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by Greatestalltime
There is a place to flag them, but Strava doesn’t make it easy to do. You can’t use the app. You have to open the browser and find the guy’s time and so on.

Strava should have something to looks at these automatically. Or at least make it simple to flag and bring it to their attention.
I'm surprised Strava doesn't automate it. I have definitely seen some crazy and obviously BS KOM's disappear from Strava, but maybe it was a result of someone reporting them rather than Strava doing this automatically. I do know Zwift will auto-flag suspicious efforts, which I learned after my power meter had a glitch and suddenly started reading 2000 watts while coasting and my avatar was suddenly sprinting uphill at 35mph. Zwift immediately displayed a message saying it looked suspicious and they had flagged it, would delete, etc.

One thing about Strava KOM's is that to participate in that function, you have to make your rides viewable to the public. If you keep your settings more locked down so that only your followers or only you can see your activities, your efforts won't appear on segment leaderboards. As a result, you can look at anyone's KOM and the rest of their ride that it occurred on. This makes spotting the BS pretty easy.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 07-21-22, 04:03 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
How do you feel about strava local legends?
I never found an app to fulfill my needs. A lonely place to be, so I learned to depend on me. I decided long ago never to ride in anyone’s shadow. If I fail, if I succeed, at least I’ll ride as I believe.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-21-22, 05:01 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
As a result, you can look at anyone's KOM and the rest of their ride that it occurred on. This makes spotting the BS pretty easy.
Yup. The default view for ride/segment analysis is with Distance on the x-axis; when looking at questionable KOMs, I like to switch to Time on the x-axis - most often, this'll expose a flat spot or three, indicating that the person sat at one location for a while. This is usually just after they've finished their ride and they're loading their bike back in/on to their vehicle, before speeding off.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-21-22, 05:13 PM
Greatestalltime

Bikes: Tcr advanced sl & Protos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
I'm surprised Strava doesn't automate it. I have definitely seen some crazy and obviously BS KOM's disappear from Strava, but maybe it was a result of someone reporting them rather than Strava doing this automatically. I do know Zwift will auto-flag suspicious efforts, which I learned after my power meter had a glitch and suddenly started reading 2000 watts while coasting and my avatar was suddenly sprinting uphill at 35mph. Zwift immediately displayed a message saying it looked suspicious and they had flagged it, would delete, etc.

One thing about Strava KOM's is that to participate in that function, you have to make your rides viewable to the public. If you keep your settings more locked down so that only your followers or only you can see your activities, your efforts won't appear on segment leaderboards. As a result, you can look at anyone's KOM and the rest of their ride that it occurred on. This makes spotting the BS pretty easy.
Yes. If you flag it it goes off right away. Then I guess they review it. I’ve never seen one get put back after it goes away.
Old 07-21-22, 05:28 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Greatestalltime
Yes. If you flag it it goes off right away. Then I guess they review it. I’ve never seen one get put back after it goes away.
The person that got flagged can vouch for it; they essentially get a one-click option to say, "no, no - it's legit, I pinky swear." Maybe it gets reviewed by an actual Strava employee if it's flagged again or if some parameters are questionable, but it seems as if Strava largely lets the users (usually the KOM holders) do their work of policing the segments - that's why those automated "oh no! You lost your KOM on ______________" emails go out. I've seen KOMs ping-pong between two people as they flag each other and vouch for their own efforts.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-21-22, 06:00 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
I have no idea how many local legends that I have but it is a lot.

I'd rather have KoMs. I only have a handful of those.
Old 07-21-22, 06:17 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,435 Times in 1,737 Posts
The only way I'll ever get a KOM around here would be if I defined a segment on private property!
There are age group categories, you know. Visible if you have a paid account. Nice for us age-enhanced cyclists, so we're not competing with the 20-somethings.

No trophies, though. You just get to sit atop the age group leader board.

Chances at a top spot are better on the short segments:

Old 07-21-22, 06:39 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
The leaderboards at least can be all crap - a while ago the running ones in the popular areas had the top 10 clearly all bike rides. Flagged them all, which would have gotten me to 5th or so... they all came right back. It's just a garbage toy for anything but comparing to yourself and a few people you know are recording cleanly.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 07-21-22, 06:49 PM
LarrySellerz

Id be wary about assuming a KOM is fake or a glitch, draft the right vehicle and you can go uphill at 40 mph.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.