Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Expanding the limits...

Old 09-01-22, 08:56 AM
BrazAd

Bikes: 1983 Trek 400, 2015 Cannondale Synapse, Soma Double Cross, 2021 Salsa Warbird 600

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 19 Posts
Expanding the limits...

I began cycling in June 2017. I was 57 and weighed 265 (now 225). Rode my first century in Sept. 2018 - almost didn't finish. Rode my 2nd in March 2019 and with almost 7k feet of climbing, it was tough!

My brother, an avid rider for 5 years longer, challenged me in 2020 to do 12 centuries - one for each month. I thought he was cray-cray! But somehow it clicked and - he in Virginia, me in Georgia, 600 miles apart - started our challenge. He ended up with 12 centuries - I ended up with 14.

Last year he ended up with 14 - and I ended up with 16. Hey, the brotherly competition thing is good! He's 51 and I'm 63 - can't let the youth win, ya know?

So far this year he's at 7 and I'm at 10. A few weekends ago I decided to go for a brevet - a double metric. Decided to round it up to 125 miles... and then during the ride, realized - if I add 1 more mile I'll have a ride that's double-my-age! So I did 126 for my longest ride to date.

My brother did do a 200 mile ride last year with 4 friends! So he's got me beat in the longest ride category, at least for now.

Y'all are an inspiration to keep pushing the pedals!

Gary
Old 09-03-22, 07:27 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
If you want to be really perspired, look up Randonneurs USA. I think there is a chapter in Georgia that runs brevets.
Old 09-03-22, 09:16 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
Yep, atlanta has a club and they do rides all over Georgia. I follow them on facebook because I keep thinking doing an early season ride would be good for me, but I haven't gone down there yet.
Audax Atlanta