Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Drugs a significant health issue for cyclists?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Drugs a significant health issue for cyclists?

Old 10-09-22, 07:33 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
This statement probably suggests one of the faulty reasonings that is why we still after more than 50 years of drug enforcement haven't put a dent in drug misuse. We've just made the bad guys more dangerous.
And idiots using illegal drugs are making drug cartels in Mexico rich.
Old 10-09-22, 07:58 AM
forresterace
Senior Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Norco Bushpilot shopping bike, 1988 Fiori Italia, 1990 Fiori Firenze)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
And idiots using illegal drugs are making drug cartels in Mexico rich.
...and, get off my lawn !
Old 10-09-22, 10:53 PM
Gear_Admiral 

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by kyplaskon
When are researchers going to stand up and say what is really threatening public health?
Even with almost all Americans esconsed in giant metal boxes, there are over 40,000 traffic deaths per year, with several times as many people injured, often severely. Cars are by far the most deadly thing that is ubiquitois in America. Nothing comes close, but I hear far more about some good, progressive, and aware physician calling some other piece of metal a public health crisis.
Old 10-10-22, 02:45 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Gear_Admiral
Even with almost all Americans esconsed in giant metal boxes, there are over 40,000 traffic deaths per year, with several times as many people injured, often severely. Cars are by far the most deadly thing that is ubiquitois in America. Nothing comes close, but I hear far more about some good, progressive, and aware physician calling some other piece of metal a public health crisis.
Leading causes of death in the U.S. 2020
  • Heart disease: 696,962
  • Cancer: 602,350
  • COVID-19: 350,831
  • Accidents (unintentional injuries): 200,955
  • Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 160,264
  • Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 152,657
  • Alzheimer’s disease: 134,242
  • Diabetes: 102,188
  • Influenza and pneumonia: 53,544
  • Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 52,547
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-10-22, 02:52 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Anyone that uses illegal drugs is an idiot, and that is probably why they use them.

Thank you, Judgy McJudgerson.

Glad to see you've settled on name-calling as being a good strategy for dealing with drug abuse.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-13-22, 11:28 AM
rydabent
Banned

Lets be brutal. Cyclist using drugs is a win win situation. When a cyclist using drugs dies in an accident because of drug use, it improves the gene pool, because their attitude of using drugs wont be passed on to a new generation. Then the second win is the fact that cyclist are in excellent shape and make good organ donors.
Old 10-13-22, 12:12 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Lets be brutal. Cyclist using drugs is a win win situation. When a cyclist using drugs dies in an accident because of drug use, it improves the gene pool, because their attitude of using drugs wont be passed on to a new generation. Then the second win is the fact that cyclist are in excellent shape and make good organ donors.
Speak for yourself; Let YOU be brutal.
Definition of brutal
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 10-14-22, 12:14 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Anyone that uses illegal drugs is an idiot, and that is probably why they use them.
1. "Who", not "that", Mr. Pot.

2. So did all the pot smokers in states that legalized pot suddenly lose idiot status?

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-14-22, 12:16 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
1. Attitude is really not something that is inherited genetically.

2. Junky cyclists are not likely to be in excellent shape and make good organ donors.

Old 10-15-22, 03:23 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

In this case, brutal equals stupid. You do you, I won't be joining you.
Old 10-15-22, 03:29 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Speak for yourself; Let YOU be brutal.
Definition of brutal
Thank you for this. I've seen some damn fine people end up losing their lives and their families because they trusted the wrong doctor when they were in pain some years ago. The reality of opioids is brutal enough without people idiotically going out of their way to be cruel.
Old 10-15-22, 03:31 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
This might be the stupidest post I’ve ever read on BF. And that’s saying something.
Old 10-15-22, 09:47 PM
Gear_Admiral 

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Leading causes of death in the U.S. 2020
  • Heart disease: 696,962
  • Cancer: 602,350
  • COVID-19: 350,831
  • Accidents (unintentional injuries): 200,955
  • Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 160,264
  • Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 152,657
  • Alzheimer’s disease: 134,242
  • Diabetes: 102,188
  • Influenza and pneumonia: 53,544
  • Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 52,547
I know you thought you were refuting me that nothing comes close to killing as cars do, but I was talking about a ubiquitous thing, as in an object that is everywhere. I was contrasting the car against elevators, vending machines, ladders, planes, trains, hard drugs, alcohol, lawnmowers, tractors, fishing boats (which all kill people in various mishaps) and firearms. Really, only firearms and alcoholic beverages sport the numbers per capita that put them in the same league as cars, and the *direct* deaths from alcohol alone (not driving while drunk, just drinking to death) also pale in comparison.

The only other thing that is ubiquitous here on your list, as in over 90% of Americans are around one or have access to, is Covid-19. Cars have been around for decades putting up some big numbers. Covid won't ever reach that. The disease will eventually subside. As for the others: I don't think 90%+ Americans have malfunctioning pancreases (diabetes -- type I, at least) and I'm not sure how to consider any of the others to be ubiquitous things. When I said "ubiquitous" I was nearly literal. In every photo of every town, in most people's garages, there's at least one car.

I really cannot tell if posters on this forum revel in arguing in bad faith or are just sincerely missing the point sometimes. When I said "thing," I meant "physical and tangible object," not "phenomenon." Give me some credit for not being a moron. I know as far as causes of death go, heart-related problems and cancer blow everything else out of the water. I would have thought the context of this forum and this sub-forum made my point clearer.
Old 10-16-22, 05:37 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I know you thought you were refuting me that nothing comes close to killing as cars do, but I was talking about a ubiquitous thing, as in an object that is everywhere. I was contrasting the car against elevators, vending machines, ladders, planes, trains, hard drugs, alcohol, lawnmowers, tractors, fishing boats (which all kill people in various mishaps) and firearms. Really, only firearms and alcoholic beverages sport the numbers per capita that put them in the same league as cars, and the *direct* deaths from alcohol alone (not driving while drunk, just drinking to death) also pale in comparison.

The only other thing that is ubiquitous here on your list, as in over 90% of Americans are around one or have access to, is Covid-19. Cars have been around for decades putting up some big numbers. Covid won't ever reach that. The disease will eventually subside. As for the others: I don't think 90%+ Americans have malfunctioning pancreases (diabetes -- type I, at least) and I'm not sure how to consider any of the others to be ubiquitous things. When I said "ubiquitous" I was nearly literal. In every photo of every town, in most people's garages, there's at least one car.

I really cannot tell if posters on this forum revel in arguing in bad faith or are just sincerely missing the point sometimes. When I said "thing," I meant "physical and tangible object," not "phenomenon." Give me some credit for not being a moron. I know as far as causes of death go, heart-related problems and cancer blow everything else out of the water. I would have thought the context of this forum and this sub-forum made my point clearer.

No, "ubiquitous thing" is not clear at all. That's a pretty whiny paragraph you wrote trying to blame me for your very poor phrasing. You're also missing the rather obvious point that "public health" is an extraordinarily broad topic, and there really isn't any good reason to suggest we can't talk both about drug abuse as a public health problem as well as talking about motor vehicle deaths as such as well. But actually, the post you made was a poorly veiled attempt to get around the ban on talking about shooting objects ("but I hear far more about some good, progressive, and aware physician calling some other piece of metal a public health crisis") and didn't discuss the op topic of bicycles and drug use at all. Why do you think you were owed any credit for being on-topic when what you posted said absolutely nothing about the topic of the thread and you were obviously attempting to smuggle in a banned topic?

Last edited by livedarklions; 10-16-22 at 05:54 AM.
Old 10-23-22, 08:54 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
My friends and I all smoked pot while in grad school...Most of us went on to earn PhDs and become college professors. I may be an idiot, but we can't all be idiots.
Old 10-24-22, 12:38 PM
rydabent
Banned

Thank you, Judgy McJudgerson.

Glad to see you've settled on name-calling as being a good strategy for dealing with drug abuse.
Just so you know, I have made it to 84 years old WITHOUT ever using or missing the use of illegal drugs. And-------------for 84 years old I am in outstanding health, and ride my bike every other day weather permitting.
Old 10-24-22, 01:23 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Just so you know, I have made it to 84 years old WITHOUT ever using or missing the use of illegal drugs. And-------------for 84 years old I am in outstanding health, and ride my bike every other day weather permitting.
Well, that's great. It doesn't qualify you to keep call people idiots and talk about how it's a win-win if they die. You're healthy for your age, do you think that gives you license to post such disgusting "brutal" filth?
Old 10-24-22, 01:38 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts

Bad faith.

Use the Ignore Function.
Old 10-24-22, 03:56 PM
Doubleplay

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
The judicial is too lenient on drunk drivers. When drivers are suspended from driving, the driver begs to the judge that he can't get to work without his car. Then he's given back his licence.

Other times, drivers just get back in their cars and drive away from court regardless of the sentence.

Don't be surprised if there are a whole bunch of drivers with suspended licences on the road right now.

Breathalyzers should be standard equipment on all automobiles.
Some studies suggest that at any given time %10-15 of the drivers are driving with suspended or no license in the US.

This is a scary stat and shows the lack of law enforcement on our roads.
Old 10-26-22, 11:45 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 894 Times in 471 Posts
[QUOTE=kyplaskon;22662015] ...2 percent of people who are riding their bikes and are injured have drugs in their system./QUOTE]

There are many riders even here at Bike Forums who somehow try to defend drinking alcohol while riding. You'd think that we, as a group, could at least hold it together.
Old 10-26-22, 05:52 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
No one cares.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 10-26-22, 06:49 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
They cite this study: https://www.jsad.com/doi/10.15288/jsad.21-00404#_i10
which says this:

Bicycling leads to the highest number of sport and recreation–related emergency department (ED) visits for traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) in the United States

But in citing the above, they say:

Bicycle-related injuries account for the majority of head injuries in the United States.

That seems like a significant misrepresentation. In their conclusion, they call for " the expansion of quality surveillance data".

What the actual F? What are the researchers trying to justify?
Old 10-26-22, 11:35 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
What the actual F? What are the researchers trying to justify?
Presumably more money for them to do more so-called "research."
Old 10-27-22, 09:09 AM
rydabent
Banned

Well, that's great. It doesn't qualify you to keep call people idiots and talk about how it's a win-win if they die. You're healthy for your age, do you think that gives you license to post such disgusting "brutal" filth?
Give me even one LOGICAL reason why people NEED to use illegal drugs!!!!!!
Old 10-27-22, 10:41 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked 840 Times in 407 Posts
No one needs cake either, but I'll have some more, please.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.