Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Switched from Gatorskins to Conti 5000s

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-22, 09:23 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2566 Post(s)
Liked 5,599 Times in 2,906 Posts

To say the difference between the two was amazing is an understatement. Had run Gators on my old steel bike for decades due to their puncture resistance. When commuting to work, the last thing I wanted to be late for was a flat. So no longer commuting and decided to make the switch and the difference in comfort, rolling resistance and cornering is unreal. The rolling resistance is super low in comparison. I run 5000 TLs on my other bike and love them, so decided to give the tubed versions a try. Wow.

Old 10-27-22, 08:19 AM
InTheSticks

Bikes: Treks.. a bunch of them (14), Madone, Emonda, Top Fuel, Farley, Boone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Yes they certainly ride a lot better overall and still have really good puncture resistance. I have them on my bikes as they last much longer than some of the softer compound tires that my wife runs (those ride really nice but wear fast for me).
Likes For InTheSticks:
Old 10-27-22, 08:26 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
To say the difference between the two was amazing is an understatement. Had run Gators on my old steel bike for decades due to their puncture resistance. When commuting to work, the last thing I wanted to be late for was a flat. So no longer commuting and decided to make the switch and the difference in comfort, rolling resistance and cornering is unreal. The rolling resistance is super low in comparison. I run 5000 TLs on my other bike and love them, so decided to give the tubed versions a try. Wow.

For me the biggest noticeable difference is the cornering, and the GP5K are pretty good as far as puncturing goes. I'm with you, I would not change back.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-27-22, 09:35 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Ride comfort on my GP 5000's is about the same as the Vittoria Rubino Pro's that I use to use. And both were a infinitely (yes that's a slight exaggeration. Get over it!) better ride than the cheaper Ultra Sports and other tires I use to use. Of note, my other tires weren't a comfortable ride at 75 PSI or any PSI. Whereas even when pumped up to max PSI of 125 or 135 PSI the GP 5000's and Rubino Pro's were more comfortable riding.

So I can easily believe you see a difference between Gator Skins and GP 5000's.
Old 10-27-22, 10:08 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
i did the switch some years ago. i honestly can't recall if i noticed a difference. about the same frequency of flats which is not much. just bought two more so i'm not inclined to go back and try the gator skins again.
Old 10-27-22, 10:10 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

From the other thread, sounds like there are more cost effective alternatives which provide the same benefits. Will try those in the future. Life is too short to get stuck on one tire.

Old 10-27-22, 07:21 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,852 Times in 1,066 Posts
GP4S is another option - sits between a GP5K and Gator
Old 10-27-22, 07:30 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked 516 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Ride comfort on my GP 5000's is about the same as the Vittoria Rubino Pro's that I use to use. And both were a infinitely (yes that's a slight exaggeration. Get over it!) better ride than the cheaper Ultra Sports and other tires I use to use. Of note, my other tires weren't a comfortable ride at 75 PSI or any PSI. Whereas even when pumped up to max PSI of 125 or 135 PSI the GP 5000's and Rubino Pro's were more comfortable riding.

So I can easily believe you see a difference between Gator Skins and GP 5000's.
I can't comment on the aforementioned tires, but I was turned on to the Rubino Pro;s when I picked up a couple new take-offs for pennies on the dollar and haven't used anything else since. If the GP 5000's are as good, I'll keep them on the short list in the future too. Thanks for that tip.
Old 10-27-22, 07:41 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

From the other thread, sounds like there are more cost effective alternatives which provide the same benefits. Will try those in the future. Life is too short to get stuck on one tire.
true - but 'success is never boring' lol
Likes For t2p:
Old 10-27-22, 08:14 PM
BillRS22

Bikes: Waterford RS22 (2004), PEUGEOT PKN10 (1981), Raleigh Gran Sport (1976), Mercian 1974

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 25 Posts
Contis

I ride 28mm Gatorskins in the winter, and change to 25mm GP5000’s in the spring. I have never had a flat with the
Gatorskins over many years, but few miles. I get 2-3 flats per season with the 5000’s, over 2000 miles or so. Bill
Old 10-27-22, 09:17 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by BillRS22
I ride 28mm Gatorskins in the winter, and change to 25mm GP5000’s in the spring. I have never had a flat with the
Gatorskins over many years, but few miles. I get 2-3 flats per season with the 5000’s, over 2000 miles or so. Bill
What I didn’t include in my list of likes with the Contis was puncture resistance. They are supposed to be good but nothing like the skins.

Old 10-28-22, 07:07 AM
t2p

Gatorskin is known for durability and puncture resistance - but it comes with a price

weight
rolling resistance
ride

obviously - if you ride in areas where flats can be a significant issue and are too common - Gatorskin (or whatever Gator tire) is probably the way to go

but GP4S is another option - faster tire with more puncture resistance than a standard GP4K / GP5K
Old 10-28-22, 09:53 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
Recently put a gatorskin on my back tire, first fast downhill I literally stopped and inspected the wheel because the grip was so poor I thought something else must be going on
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 10-28-22, 10:16 AM
Pinelander
Roadie

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
I've been riding Gatorskins for many years and recently went up to 28mm @ 70psi. Rare flats - and I really hate changing flats on the road - but they aren't the smoothest ride. Maybe I'll have to check out the options next time.
Old 10-28-22, 11:12 AM
NumbersGuy

Bikes: Fairlight Strael 3.0 Ultegra Di2, Lauf Seigla Rigid SRAM Red XPLP

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
Gatorskin is known for durability and puncture resistance - but it comes with a price

weight
rolling resistance
ride

obviously - if you ride in areas where flats can be a significant issue and are too common - Gatorskin (or whatever Gator tire) is probably the way to go

but GP4S is another option - faster tire with more puncture resistance than a standard GP4K / GP5K
I quite like the GP4S. I never used any of the Gator tires, but did use the even more puncture proof Schwalbe Marathons for many thousands of miles since I do mainly longer rides and my area has a lot of roadside debris. I've also tried Michelin Power Protection Plus & Specialized Armadillo (lighter/grippier than Marathons, still got too many punctures) and am now on my second set of GP4S which seems be a good balance of features for me. They give great puncture resistance and ride nearly as well as GP4KS2 (got occasional punctures with them).
Old 10-28-22, 11:18 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I mean, there's outright larger size gravel tires with same or less RR than the Gators, errrr I mean garden hoses.

Road tubeless at lower pressure on a 30mm or so tire even in a fast tire will not really be noticeably less reliable than a clincher gator. As you eliminated one flat failure mode altogether going tubeless, pinch flats.
Old 10-28-22, 01:52 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Still happily using Gatorskins on my commute bikes. Long wearing (25% longer than GP 4ks IME), when I get a flat it's usually time to replace the tire. Faster for a a week of commuting than the repair time for a flat.

I gotta ask, what are y'all talking about when you talk about ride comfort? Gator 32s feel about the same to me on rough roads (expansion joints or crumbling pavement) at 85 psi than gravel tires at 55 psi. Do I not feel the difference because I'm a clyde?
Old 10-28-22, 01:53 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by NumbersGuy
I quite like the GP4S. I never used any of the Gator tires, but did use the even more puncture proof Schwalbe Marathons for many thousands of miles since I do mainly longer rides and my area has a lot of roadside debris. I've also tried Michelin Power Protection Plus & Specialized Armadillo (lighter/grippier than Marathons, still got too many punctures) and am now on my second set of GP4S which seems be a good balance of features for me. They give great puncture resistance and ride nearly as well as GP4KS2 (got occasional punctures with them).

I switched from GP4K to GP5K and I think I feel some difference, but it's close enough that I'm not sure it isn't placebo effect.
Old 10-28-22, 01:56 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Recently put a gatorskin on my back tire, first fast downhill I literally stopped and inspected the wheel because the grip was so poor I thought something else must be going on

I had a bike flip out from beneath me on a pair of gatorskins. They don't like road snakes. I don't trust them on a downhill.
Old 10-28-22, 02:40 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
I don't yet have any 5000s. If they are like my 4000s I'll love them. My 4000s are the best feeling tires I have ever had. They have a number of nicks and cuts in them, some pretty deep, but have never punctured.
Old 10-28-22, 04:24 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Still happily using Gatorskins on my commute bikes. Long wearing (25% longer than GP 4ks IME), when I get a flat it's usually time to replace the tire. Faster for a a week of commuting than the repair time for a flat.

I gotta ask, what are y'all talking about when you talk about ride comfort? Gator 32s feel about the same to me on rough roads (expansion joints or crumbling pavement) at 85 psi than gravel tires at 55 psi. Do I not feel the difference because I'm a clyde?
Can’t speak to the Clyde part but supple tires seem to absorb more of the road irregularities whereas my Gatorskins (now residing on my Fondriest) tend to transmit more and made the ride more harsh. It’s similar to car tires. Cheap tires give a terrible ride as well. Reminds me of when I was so poor I put recaps on.

Old 10-28-22, 06:36 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
I've used Gatorskins, Conti 4000, and 5000, but right now I've got a Schwalbe Marathon. All have been very good tires for me.
Old 10-29-22, 06:49 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
I have long distance toured on Gatorskins and liked them for the lively ride compared to the other tires folks toured on. The flat resistance is at least okay as is it the ride. I figure they are a compromise for that kind of riding.

Way back in the day I remember racing and training on a tire that I remember as being labeled Continental Grand Prix. I don't recall them having a number in the name, but I remember them as being great tires that I considered very expensive at the time.

Most of my tours are long enough that they pass through goat head thorn country at some point. I like a lively ride. I carry a very light load when touring these days using ultralight packing practices. Thoughts on a more lively model than the gatorskin, like the 4000 or 5000 and or tubeless, especially if there might be goatheads.
Old 10-30-22, 08:20 AM
Sardines

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 48 Posts
Set up tubeless, road race tires like the GP5000 S and Schwalbe Pro One, especially in the 30 - 34mm widths on 20+mm internal width rims, are now viable comfortable fast commute tires, with very decent puncture protection. For me, they have to be "easily" mounted tubeless. vs the struggle I had with Gravel King slicks, which otherwise are also more reasonably priced fast commuter, vs the top tier road race tires.

https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting...ng-2022-a.html

Old 10-30-22, 04:13 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Out on the ride yesterday rode down about a quarter of a mile of shoulder just littered with glass. There was no getting around it since cars where doing 45 on my left. Immediately thought I was doomed to flat. Tried wiping the wheels with my gloved hands but there was just more and more. Was waiting for the inevitable but it never happened. The Conti’s did their job. Was just amazed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.