Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

That "Perfect" Gravel Bike

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-22, 11:27 AM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by bigevil
I know the "perfect" bike doesn't exist since with all areas of cycling there's always a tradeoff between weight, aero, and in gravel what I'd call confidence/comfort.

Figured I could use the help of the wonderful forums for some ideas/options I might be missing from my list.

I've been riding my Trek Chekpoint SL7 the past couple years, and while I love it the bike feels a little heavy and a little clunky at times

Right now built up with a mullet ultegra/xtr setup it comes in at a few grams over 20lbs w pedals and cages

The goal for my next gravel rig is the lightest bike possible but still remaining confidence inspiring.

I am not racing nor do I plan on it but at 126lbs the difference on a 20lb bike to a 16lb bike is absolutely massive for me.

I stay away from insanely technical stuff and right now my biggest need is a bike that'll help me feel comfortable and safe descending the loose stuff while being comfortable to be on those 5hr+ days and not be a total slog on the tarmac.

It doesn't help that I have an Aethos for road so when switching back to the checkpoint it couldn't feel more extreme.

In the past I'd looked for only the lightest gravel bikes which got me to the obvious ones like the S Works Crux, Open UPPER not to mention Lauf Ultimate, Scott Addict yada yada but recently I've stumbled onto Alchemy Bikes which made me realize there are tons of lesser known brands we likely all skip over.

I'd never even heard of Alchemy, and the specs on their Lycos look pretty awesome but I'm sure there are way way more things.

Nevertheless my goals would be:

-17lbs or less

-ability to run 2x

-42mm min clearance

-confidence inspiring on descents

Maybe this doesn't exist!

I'll be using the wheels from my current build (Roval Terra CLX) so that'l help with weight but wondering what everyones thoughts are on the options out there!
Damn you're 126 lbs.? You'd probably out climb the majority of us on BF on a 20 lbs. bike! Lol

Regarding your bike build, for gravel I find the heaviest parts to be the wheels, cassette (if you go big), crankset and hydraulic shifters (if you go hydraulic). I also climb off-road in LA, mainly around the Verdugo and Angeles Crest Mountains. I know for any off-road action we need to climb! I think the key is to get lightweight gravel tires, preferably shallow depth so you don't get blown around and to minimize rock gashes on your bling wheels.

I just built a budget disc road bike in the low 16 lbs. range using 11 speed 105 mechanical, I could probably get it into the 15s with just a crankset and shifter upgrade. 1x gravel is way easier to get into lightweight territory. I'm building a spare parts gravel bike and I'm in the low 17s with just off-the-shelf parts and heavy 1600g carbon wheels.

I think I could build a 17 lbs. 2x gravel bike keeping the above mention components lightweight.
Old 11-06-22, 12:57 PM
bigevil

Bikes: Aethos + Checkpoint

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by jonathanf2
Regarding your bike build, for gravel I find the heaviest parts to be the wheels, cassette (if you go big), crankset and hydraulic shifters (if you go hydraulic). I also climb off-road in LA, mainly around the Verdugo and Angeles Crest Mountains. I know for any off-road action we need to climb! I think the key is to get lightweight gravel tires, preferably shallow depth so you don't get blown around and to minimize rock gashes on your bling wheels.
smart! and yup I'm looking at all my components now and seeing where I can make big improvements in weight but aside from tires tbh the cost to grams savings is a bit stupid and when the frameset is such a big offender I'm just going to wait for that. If I'm scared of being underbiked on a Crux, getting a S Works Diverge (and many of the other suggestions here) will cut about 1200 grams from the build! Crux would cut 1500 grams. So That's kinda it in a nutshell. which sadly bring me back to square one of the Crux vs Open vs URS vs yada yada yada yada yada
Likes For bigevil:
Old 11-06-22, 04:05 PM
wayold

Bikes: Tallboy, Domane, old 90s MTB beater/grocery-getter, and a new franken-gravel experiment based on a Sirrus x 5.0.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
I don't want to threadjack (which, of course, is the way all threadjacks begin) but I'm in a similar position. Also in the LA area, also looking for a lightweight gravel/road bike that I'll just ride around in the local hills, but never intend to race. The only difference between my requirements and the OP's are that I'm an old guy and want as high a stack height as I can get. Right now I ride an old Domane (with a way high 120mm/25deg stem) as my do everything road bike. I love the bike on pavement, but it will only fit 28s and is unhappy on anything rougher than fairly smooth dirt. I also have an old rigid MTB with 38s for rougher gravel, but it's a 30 lb steel behemoth. My Domane weighs 18 lb and I'd like to find a new bike that combines the utility of these two old ones without gaining any weight. Unlike the OP I'm a relatively porky 180 lbs. 6'1" so I'd go with a larger frame.

My main problem is that most of the lighter bikes seem to also go in for a racier low-stack geometry. I can compensate somewhat with stem/bar choice (and/or by upsizing as I usually ride 58mm frames, but can fit on a 60 OK), but would prefer to get close as possible to my desired fit without resorting to extreme measures. Anyway, my apologies again to the OP, but I think the answers to your question very much overlap my own so I hope you don't mind my tagging along here.
Old 11-06-22, 04:20 PM
bigevil

Bikes: Aethos + Checkpoint

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by wayold
I don't want to threadjack (which, of course, is the way all threadjacks begin) but I'm in a similar position. Also in the LA area, also looking for a lightweight gravel/road bike that I'll just ride around in the local hills, but never intend to race. The only difference between my requirements and the OP's are that I'm an old guy and want as high a stack height as I can get. Right now I ride an old Domane (with a way high 120mm/25deg stem) as my do everything road bike. I love the bike on pavement, but it will only fit 28s and is unhappy on anything rougher than fairly smooth dirt. I also have an old rigid MTB with 38s for rougher gravel, but it's a 30 lb steel behemoth. My Domane weighs 18 lb and I'd like to find a new bike that combines the utility of these two old ones without gaining any weight. Unlike the OP I'm a relatively porky 180 lbs. 6'1" so I'd go with a larger frame.

My main problem is that most of the lighter bikes seem to also go in for a racier low-stack geometry. I can compensate somewhat with stem/bar choice (and/or by upsizing as I usually ride 58mm frames, but can fit on a 60 OK), but would prefer to get close as possible to my desired fit without resorting to extreme measures. Anyway, my apologies again to the OP, but I think the answers to your question very much overlap my own so I hope you don't mind my tagging along here.
I'll sell you my checkpoint frame for a bargain! two birds. Fork is cut very high as I love high stack as well. Its a matte black SL6 in size 54 :-)

Also, I replaced my force crank arms with red [got them at a steal] and she's at least now 19.8lbs. slow and steadily we'll get her down to 19 while I figure out my next frameset.
Old 11-06-22, 05:08 PM
wayold

Bikes: Tallboy, Domane, old 90s MTB beater/grocery-getter, and a new franken-gravel experiment based on a Sirrus x 5.0.

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by bigevil
I'll sell you my checkpoint frame for a bargain! two birds. Fork is cut very high as I love high stack as well. Its a matte black SL6 in size 54 :-)
The Checkpoint's a nice bike, but I'd look kinda like a circus ape on a toy bike on a 54.
Old 11-07-22, 12:35 PM
partyanimal

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Steel frame, steel fork, lots of tire clearance, lots of braze-ons for attaching accessories, sliding drop-outs for singlespeed compatibility...There you go that's my perfect gravel bike.
Totally agree with this but have come to realize that for most folks "gravel" bike means pretty much some sort of racing bike akin to a road bike but with wider tires. All Terrain Bike is what we're resigned to these days.