Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Dolomite Fat Tire Derailleur Upgrade

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 11-21-22, 05:59 AM
Todzilla

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10 5 105, Peugeot PX-10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Wife bought me a cool fat tire bike, but derailleur shifter is already kaput. I’d like to go ahead and replace it and the derailleur.

Will any old seven speed derailleur work? Or do I need to match it to sprocket cluster and/or new shifter?

thanks!
Old 11-21-22, 07:12 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Yes, most shifter and derailer combinations will work fine. The key, really, is to ensure the shifter you buy is compatible with the derailer. There are some SRAM derailers that require a SRAM shifter because the cable pull doesn't match Shimano. But for the most part, any modern Shimano 6/7/8-speed derailer will work with any modern Shimano 7-speed shifter.

I presume this has a 14-28 freewheel on it, meaning the largest sprocket isn't all that large. Any 6/7/8-speed rear derailer will handle that fine...from a low grade Tourney up to an Acera or Alivio. 9-speed derailers usually pair well with 7-speed shifters and shift 7-speed cassettes or freewheels pretty nicely (I'm using some such combinations on my own bikes at the moment), but you'll generally have the best performance in sticking with a 6/7/8-speed derailer.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 11-21-22, 01:36 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Go with an Alivio mid or long cage derailleur and an Altus 7 speed thumb Shifter. HUGE upgrades over the stock tourney parts the bike came with. Install a new chain too.. the stock one will rust up easily and is "worn out" from the factory. KMC makes several better choices... X8 will be appropriate.

Last edited by maddog34; 11-21-22 at 01:41 PM.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 11-21-22, 01:44 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Yes, most shifter and derailer combinations will work fine. The key, really, is to ensure the shifter you buy is compatible with the derailer. There are some SRAM derailers that require a SRAM shifter because the cable pull doesn't match Shimano. But for the most part, any modern Shimano 6/7/8-speed derailer will work with any modern Shimano 7-speed shifter.

I presume this has a 14-28 freewheel on it, meaning the largest sprocket isn't all that large. Any 6/7/8-speed rear derailer will handle that fine...from a low grade Tourney up to an Acera or Alivio. 9-speed derailers usually pair well with 7-speed shifters and shift 7-speed cassettes or freewheels pretty nicely (I'm using some such combinations on my own bikes at the moment), but you'll generally have the best performance in sticking with a 6/7/8-speed derailer.
The bike came equipped with Tourney garbage, single low grade front chainring, Pre-worn junk chain.
Old 11-21-22, 03:20 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
What has been said is largely true but don't put a ton of money into the bike it is a wally mart special and uses pretty poor components all over it. It was not designed to last and you could be chasing problems all over eventually which can be quite expensive vs what the bike is worth. Fine to keep it running but don't go too crazy as a full overhaul on a new bike is never something I want to do but would be pretty well required on something like this as many assemblers have never seen or heard of grease or their wallymart doesn't provide any so why bother.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 11-21-22, 03:45 PM
maddog34

Originally Posted by veganbikes
What has been said is largely true but don't put a ton of money into the bike it is a wally mart special and uses pretty poor components all over it. It was not designed to last and you could be chasing problems all over eventually which can be quite expensive vs what the bike is worth. Fine to keep it running but don't go too crazy as a full overhaul on a new bike is never something I want to do but would be pretty well required on something like this as many assemblers have never seen or heard of grease or their wallymart doesn't provide any so why bother.
Two important words to consider... "Wife" and "Gift".
Old 11-21-22, 07:02 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by maddog34
I get it but I am not going to be dishonest. I don't like to be dishonest unless it is someone buying a bike without their partner knowing then I am happy to print up a faux receipt.
Old 11-21-22, 07:34 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 325 Posts
Grease is provided, they just don't want to get their hands dirty,
Old 11-21-22, 10:00 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by SpedFast
Grease is provided, they just don't want to get their hands dirty,
I would doubt that somewhat but who knows these days. I did have an old mechanic who did it for the holidays for some extra cash but sadly he moved away and I have lost touch. I would love to have asked him.
Old 11-21-22, 10:06 PM
Todzilla

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10 5 105, Peugeot PX-10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks to all! I use the bike occasionally, so I won’t be upgrading much, but the derailleur upgrade is key.
Likes For Todzilla:
Old 11-22-22, 11:26 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 325 Posts
I would doubt that somewhat but who knows these days. I did have an old mechanic who did it for the holidays for some extra cash but sadly he moved away and I have lost touch. I would love to have asked him.
I was being sarcastic. But while I have your attention, is that your Utube channel "Vegan Bike"? Just curious.
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 11-22-22, 11:53 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34
This is key.
Old 11-22-22, 02:20 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by SpedFast
I was being sarcastic. But while I have your attention, is that your Utube channel "Vegan Bike"? Just curious.
No I don't have a YouTube account or at least nothing I have used in 10 years. This is my biggest online presence that I am active in really.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 11-22-22, 05:09 PM
maddog34

assemblers grease NOTHING.. all bearings are in place in the box. The one assembler i met was doing so at $7 Per Bike. He was working for a sub-contractor that sent people to any box store that needed bikes put on the sales floor. install bars/stem, slap in the wheel/s, check that the brakes work, hang a tag or two, and out the door.

the most common issues on walmart specials? LOOSE Rear axle sets, TIGHT front axle sets, LACK OF GREASE on al the bearings, and the absolute worst chains ever sold.

and i've found a half dozen FORKS set up backwards to the Handlebars...

Last edited by maddog34; 11-22-22 at 05:15 PM.
Likes For maddog34: