Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Pedaling issue after changing chain

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-17, 08:36 AM
cpper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi guys

I replaced my chain today and am now facing a problem. When I'm pedaling harder, it feel like the chain slips, or something close to that. When pushing my feet harder on the pedals, the crankarms move like 30° freely, with no force being transferred to the wheel.

The replaced chain is the same as the old one, KMC X10. I have shortened the new chain to the length of the old one. The cogs or chainrings are not worn. The bike is relatively new and I replaced the chain(this is the first time) when the wear was about 0.6%. Freehub is also ok. Before changing the chain everything worked just fine.

I tried to look at the rear wheel pedaling harder, and I noticed that the derailleur cage might be somehow moving when the problem happens.
Old 07-30-17, 08:45 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,512 Times in 2,855 Posts
When a new chain jumps on a used cassette it means the cassette is worn out.
You cannot tell by looking at it.
Old 07-30-17, 08:55 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
You don't say what gear combo in which the problem occurs, but if you ride much of the time in higher gears and smaller rear cogs the cogs can wear out very quickly, especially in these days of (in my view) stupidly small 11 and 12 tooth cogs.
Old 07-30-17, 09:34 AM
cpper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Shimagnolo, I don't think the cassete can be worn. It's the first time I have to replace the chain, and as far as I know a cassette lasts more chains, if you change them when you should.

Bikeman, rear derrailleur is Shimano RD-M610, cassete is SRAM PG-1020.
Old 07-30-17, 09:53 AM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cpper
Shimagnolo, I don't think the cassete can be worn. It's the first time I have to replace the chain, and as far as I know a cassette lasts more chains, if you change them when you should.
Usually true, but not always, especially if you tend to do almost all your riding in one or two cogs. Does the skipping happen in all cogs or just in a couple smaller ones?
Old 07-30-17, 09:54 AM
qrsqrs

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quick debug is to go back to your old chain. If that still works fine, then something wrong with your new chain or wear to cassette. If you now see same problem with your old chain, then something must have gone out of alignment when you swapped chains.
Old 07-30-17, 10:52 AM
cpper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by prathmann
Usually true, but not always, especially if you tend to do almost all your riding in one or two cogs. Does the skipping happen in all cogs or just in a couple smaller ones?
It looks like it happens just on the 4-5 smaller ones(I have 10).

Originally Posted by qrsqrs
Quick debug is to go back to your old chain. If that still works fine, then something wrong with your new chain or wear to cassette. If you now see same problem with your old chain, then something must have gone out of alignment when you swapped chains.
I'll try it out. If the cassette is indeed worn, why shouldn't I put my old chain back and continue to ride it ? The bike was working and changing gears just fine before putting the new chain on.
Old 07-30-17, 11:59 AM
carl7

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just went through a very similar experience. Put on a New SRAM chain, took bike out for test, at the green light, stood to take off, chain skipped inner chainwheel teeth, almost hit my jewels, most embarrassing experience. Replaced all the chainwheels and cassette. Rides great.