Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bell, the worst road-bike tire ever ???

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bell, the worst road-bike tire ever ???

Old 03-31-23, 07:46 AM
FBOATSB

Bikes: Old Stuff

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
The main knock I've heard on Bells is the clapper.
They just need more cowbell.
Likes For FBOATSB:
Old 03-31-23, 09:13 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,272 Times in 7,224 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
Yup. It seems like riders in groups concentrate more on getting the tube changed as quickly as possible than finding out why the flat happened in the first place. I see people just take one tire bead off and do a very quick superficial finger wipe inside the tire to feel for any objects...........if even that.

Quick and dirty usually ends dirty.
Many know how Einstein allegedly described insanity.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-31-23, 09:15 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,272 Times in 7,224 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
The main knock I've heard on Bells is the clapper.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-31-23, 09:37 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 2,816 Times in 1,716 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
Anyway, if you are looking at new or used tires on a budget,
Do people routinely buy used bike tires??
Old 03-31-23, 10:17 AM
beng1
Banned

Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Do people routinely buy used bike tires??
Yes. There are all sorts of used tires for sale on ebay, check it out.

I was considering running the Bell's all season now just to see if I can set a record for number of flats gotten while riding in one year, but stopping to fix a flat interrupts the training routine and affects it's quality, so I will just throw them in storage until I decide what to do with them.
Old 03-31-23, 10:30 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3635 Post(s)
Liked 5,311 Times in 2,699 Posts
Hey put them up for sale. You may find someone gullible enough to buy used Bell "bike tires."
Old 03-31-23, 11:15 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
I was considering running the Bell's all season now just to see if I can set a record for number of flats gotten while riding in one year...................
You must be really bored.
Old 03-31-23, 12:21 PM
Gyro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
Thanks I'm within 5% of the recommend presser.
Old 03-31-23, 02:26 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
I can't tell you how many times I was on a club ride when someone got a flat and swore up and down it was a pinch flat, so didn't check the tire carefully. Less than a half mile down the road, another flat.
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Some boobs in my local club were on a ride when one rider got a flat. Each new tube they put in kept going flat. Lather, rinse, repeat until the group had used up all their tubes. Turned out there was a big slit in the tire that no one had checked for. They had to get “rescued” by a LBS. When I read the story on our club’s email list, I contacted the ride leader and explained how handle such situations in the future.
Someone in our group got a front and rear flat from running over something. 3 people working on each repair. Short frame pumps or maybe not so mini, mini pumps directly attached to each valve with no flexible tube between. So the jerky motion while frantically pumping up the tires pulled the valve out of both of them!

Two more tubes needed. So good thing it was a large group. Definitely wasn't a Indy car pit stop.
Old 03-31-23, 08:37 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,578 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
I bought a bunch of Bell bike tires on closeout at $2 each. They suck but for $2 I figured I might need a set during the zombie apocalypse.
The problem with that is for emergency situations you want a known quantity that you can rely on if you are doing any sort of prep. The only reason to use the Bell tires is you need tires for your bike and you are stuck in a wally mart as the zombies are attacking and need to get out quickly.

Bell does not make tires, they are a helmet maker and their decent non-wally mart stuff is good. I had one I liked enough for the price.

To the poster who mentioned Serfas...oy vey those were terrible tires, we had people who would buy new tires monthly because they refused to spend money on a good tire and would wear out those crappy things so often. I really disliked selling their products thankfully we got rid of it after our buyer finally realized nobody liked it and we hated selling it.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-31-23, 09:58 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Three flats in a couple of months with one brand of (used) tires versus one flat with another in a year might be too small a sample to be statistically meaningful.

There's a good chance that the Bell tires are relabeled Kendas, by the way.
Or Innova.
Old 04-01-23, 07:19 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 224 Posts
I have had really bad luck with Performance branded tubes, and talked to several others with the same experience. They leaked where the valve stem is attached to the tube. Sometimes they didn't even survive initial inflation.
Name brand tubes are only a couple of dollars more expensive, so be wary of on sale stuff.

(The first person who says, "ride tubeless" gets a basket of goat heads thrown on their driveway.)
Likes For bblair:
Old 04-01-23, 08:52 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 2,816 Times in 1,716 Posts
Yes. There are all sorts of used tires for sale on ebay, check it out.
I get that’s how you roll. I would never buy used tires.
Likes For smd4:
Old 04-03-23, 10:37 AM
Atlas95

Bikes: 2015 Motobecane Mirage, 2022 Wabi Thunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Conti Gatorskins have decent puncture protection though the cost of a pair would exceed the value of OP's stable.
I've learned that I never really regret buying quality but I always regret buying cheap stuff. Some people are concerned that Gatorskins are slow, but I put such a premium on not getting flats that I don't care. I'm always happy to pay 90 bucks for a new pair of quality tires that will last me 5k miles.
Likes For Atlas95:
Old 04-03-23, 06:47 PM
beng1
Banned

Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
Today I ordered a pair of Panaracer Pasela protite tires. They are supposed to be comparable to the Conti gatorskini in flat protection, and they were $25 each from the seller I ordered them from. So I am all set for tires for this year.

There is a company out of the U.K. selling 27" Conti gatorskin hardshell tires for $11 each, and if you order $75 worth it is free shipping to the USA, but I did not need eight tires, did not know if I would like them, and the fact that they were dumping them at such a low price made me wonder if there was a problem with them that kept them from selling or others liking them. So passed on the deal.