Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Beach cruiser on beach -observations

Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-23, 09:10 AM
Muddydog

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 4 Posts

I decided to take the beach cruiser on the beach this morning. It’s a novel concept I know.

I’ve lived near the beach my whole life and don’t know why it took me so long to try it. I went at the bottom of low tide and after walking the C1 through the soft sand to the harder packed sand near the waters edge I was able to ride fairy comfortably to the mouth of an inlet until I turned around. With a 5-10kt wind in my face it got, much more difficult than I would have thought, like riding up a long sloping hill.

I also found than anything outside of the tightest pack sand brought me to a sudden halt even on these balloon tires and any “washboard” areas cause severe vibration.

I was considering swapping out these big 2.35 balloon tires for something a bit more sporty after my wife said I looked like an “old man” on them but think I’ll keep them for now for future bike rides. In fact I may take down the pressure from their near max for future beach rides.

Overall, a short trip made for a pretty good workout but I think these will be best at night when the wind has settled and I have the place to myself.
Likes For Muddydog:
Old 03-01-23, 04:14 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I believe 'Beach Cruisers' are best suited for boardwalks and piers near the beach, not in the beach sand itself. Good on ya for trying, though.

If you want to be able to ride comfortably on anything as soft as beach sand you really need a 'fat bike' with tires much wider than likely fit in your beach cruiser, and in my experience on the loose yellow sand on the beaches where I live, even a fat bike with tires at the lowest pressure I dare is near its limit. I am guessing that your beach sand is a bit firmer with the ocean laying on top of it half the time, so you might be able to make better progress if you drop the pressure in your beach cruiser tires down as low as you can without feeling the tire getting pinched between the rim and the ground. Be careful though, because, while you might be able to ride safely across a soft surface like that, a harder surface like concrete or asphalt, or even a packed gravel trail, will likely damage your tire, tube, and/or rim.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 03-01-23, 06:08 PM
Muddydog

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
I believe 'Beach Cruisers' are best suited for boardwalks and piers near the beach, not in the beach sand itself. Good on ya for trying, though.
No doubt you are correct on all counts. I was a bit surprised what a difference it made as soon as I began moving up from the water line.
However we do have 6’ tides here so we generally have some solid well packed sand.
The bigger issue seemed to be the combination of wind and we almost always have that here.
Old 03-02-23, 10:08 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
If the wind stopped you then it was very likely that you were just about 'redlining' your efforts just to keep moving in the sand, but the elation of cruising along on the beach may have obscured that fact.
Old 03-08-23, 12:16 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Muddydog

I was considering swapping out these big 2.35 balloon tires for something a bit more sporty after my wife said I looked like an “old man” on them but think I’ll keep them for now for future bike rides. In fact I may take down the pressure from their near max for future beach rides.

I have a set of the tires you're running on your Electra, they are actually really decent tires.
Low rolling resistance, skinwall, and a long wearing, high silicon content rubber.
They have good resell value on the secondary market.
You can run a bit lower pressure and not increase your pedaling effort, they just get rougher riding at high pressure. I run 33 psi in mine