Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Keiser spin bike review.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Keiser spin bike review.

Old 03-29-23, 06:53 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
I have no experience spending time in gyms of any sort, and no experience riding with any sort of wattage meters. The last time I had a digital readout on a bicycle was in the 1990s one year.....

I ran my pedal rpm up to above 80, and I had to exert myself in "zone 2" to keep that cadence, where I was breathing harder than normal, but I could converse in short sentences if I had to. I had no intention of riding in "zone 3" where I would be breathing so hard I would be unable to talk. At the seven mile mark I switched to 15th gear and the watt meter went from reading around 170 to about 190 or 200 for the same pedal cadence between 80 and 90 rpm. I tried to keep the rpm in the lower 80s to make things easier on myself, I was sweating about the same as if it was a real ride on a warm day, and the pedal resistance and rpm was about the same as I was used to on the hundreds of rides of a similar length I had taken on my road bikes.
I can certainly adjust the resistance of a stationary bike to feel like the resistance felt on hundreds of real-world rides over thousands of miles on more or less level riding in moderate wind conditions, especially with a tachometer to assure pedal cadence, and any other cyclist with the same experience under their belt could do the same. Try again.........or not.
"Feel" is completely different between indoor and outdoor aerobic activity of this sort. Sweat in particular is a terrible basis for comparison because indoors doesn't offer the same pervasive evaporation that riding through the air outdoors does. You're not metering your watts outside, neither do I. But I wouldn't be deluded enough to think I can estimate whether they are "about the same" as my wattage on an indoor machine.

Comparing mileage is a pretty silly basis for review as the one thing a trainer definitely is not doing is covering ANY distance. I only use such numbers on an indoor machine to compare the intensity of a number of workouts on the same machine. If you want to compare it to the intensity of your outdoor ride, you'd need to be measuring your outdoor wattage. Otherwise, your comparison is utterly meaningless. No one is surprised that spin bikes assume a highly flattering MPH figure as it's really arbitrary as to what kind of riding is actually being simulated. For all I know, they're assuming a 20 mph tail wind.
Old 03-30-23, 06:54 PM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Let’s see the actual bike, instead of a stock photo.
The actual bikes looked just like the stock photo. I don't use "cell" phones so do/can not snap a thousand photos of my life everyday like most are doing the last decade or so when they became popular. I have a Nikon digital camera I got at an estate-sale for five-bucks but I don't carry it around that often. Maybe I will remember to take it with me next week if I test a different spin bike to see how it's calibration compares with the first one I tried.
Old 03-30-23, 09:41 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
The actual bikes looked just like the stock photo. I don't use "cell" phones so do/can not snap a thousand photos of my life everyday like most are doing the last decade or so when they became popular. I have a Nikon digital camera I got at an estate-sale for five-bucks but I don't carry it around that often. Maybe I will remember to take it with me next week if I test a different spin bike to see how it's calibration compares with the first one I tried.
But of course you don’t.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-30-23, 11:10 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3406 Post(s)
Liked 3,538 Times in 1,781 Posts
Some folks call it a spin bike. I call it a Keiser bike.

Last edited by terrymorse; 03-31-23 at 08:31 AM.
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 03-31-23, 05:55 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked 747 Times in 391 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Some people call it a spin bike. I call it a Keiser bike.
I like dem french fried po-taters.
Likes For Jughed:
Old 03-31-23, 06:26 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Some people call it a spin bike. I call it a Keiser bike.
I think it's called a Vienna bike in other parts of the world.