Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Eroica California 2019

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Eroica California 2019

Old 04-08-19, 10:54 AM
Feldman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Erzulis Boat

Just got the SOMEC done for the Eroica.

Went 25 miles on it's maiden voyage. Yikes, it's stiff. It has all the suppleness of a track bike, with a steering angle to rival a unicycle.

The Mavic SSC setup shifts very well, and the front derailleur is very impressive. I am running Ofmega Super Competizione cranks with Avocet chainwheels. The freewheel is a Suntour Perfect 14-30 and the derailleurs handle it just fine. I am running Modolo Speedy calipers, and Modolo Mach1 levers, this combination works pretty well..................for vintage brakes.

Wheels are Mavic MA2 clinchers with Campagnolo hubs. Even though it has Vittoria Corsa 25mm tires, the ride quality of the wheelset is nothing spectacular. Good enough.

I rode my 1970 Paramount last year, and I was continually amazed throughout the Eroica ride just how comfortable it was. This bike is probably going to beat me up a little. Oh well, it's part of the adventure.
Now THAT is a very cool, seldom-seen bike. Like the Mavic SSC drive train, too. Isn't that adjustable cage a nice feature?
Old 04-08-19, 11:24 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,030 Posts
The last downhill was the ultimate reality check for vintage brakes. My Modolos were woefully inadequate (even with Kool-stop pads), and on one turn I had to yell ahead to a group of cyclists "Modolo brakes!..... I'm coming through!" They yielded to the left, as I banged the hard right to just make it. Loads of fun!.
I drove down that last descent on Saturday (my wife and I drove out to Olea Farms to stock up on their olive oil - gotta support the folks that support us). On the way back, we decided to turn off Hwy 46 onto Santa Rosa Creek Road and take that back to Cambria. I was constantly going " I have to ride this, I have to ride this" and was seriously considering going rogue on Sunday by riding Hwy 46 to Santa Rosa and back to the start instead of the Piedro Blancas route I signed up for. The I saw the bungie-jump that is the final descent complete with crappy pavement and sharp. off-camber corners and I changed my mind. I have gotten less and less happy about double-digit percent descents, even on modern brakes, as I have aged, and that one looked scarier than hell. It is possible, just barely, that I try it with a good set of dual pivot brakes, but there was no way I was going to try it on single-pivots.

Chapeau to all of you who did any of the longer rides. I enjoyed the heck out of the ride to the lighthouse and back - it was a blast - and I admire the heck out of all you harder core types, but I am not at all sorry I missed that free fall of a downhill.
Old 04-08-19, 11:59 AM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by Feldman
Now THAT is a very cool, seldom-seen bike. Like the Mavic SSC drive train, too. Isn't that adjustable cage a nice feature?
Thanks! The SSC adjustable cage really works great. I didn't even max it out (downward) and still got stone reliable shifting on the 14-30.
Old 04-08-19, 12:31 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
I drove down that last descent on Saturday (my wife and I drove out to Olea Farms to stock up on their olive oil - gotta support the folks that support us). On the way back, we decided to turn off Hwy 46 onto Santa Rosa Creek Road and take that back to Cambria. I was constantly going " I have to ride this, I have to ride this" and was seriously considering going rogue on Sunday by riding Hwy 46 to Santa Rosa and back to the start instead of the Piedro Blancas route I signed up for. The I saw the bungie-jump that is the final descent complete with crappy pavement and sharp. off-camber corners and I changed my mind. I have gotten less and less happy about double-digit percent descents, even on modern brakes, as I have aged, and that one looked scarier than hell. It is possible, just barely, that I try it with a good set of dual pivot brakes, but there was no way I was going to try it on single-pivots.

Chapeau to all of you who did any of the longer rides. I enjoyed the heck out of the ride to the lighthouse and back - it was a blast - and I admire the heck out of all you harder core types, but I am not at all sorry I missed that free fall of a downhill.
Try riding UP Santa Rosa Creek Road, like I did a month ago. I then took Hwy 46 back to Cambria, it's a very challenging 35-40 mile loop.

IMO, steep torn-up roads like that one are best ridden up, and not down. I can see why the ride organizers did not have riders go up the climb though, it would have been complete carnage to have hundreds of people falling over and pushing their bikes on those grades, which look to be over 20 percent in several places.
Old 04-08-19, 01:07 PM
velomateo

Bikes: '87 Serotta Colorado,'96 Moots VaMoots, Bertoni MAX, Eddy Merckx Grand Prix Team USA

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 146 Posts
My wife and I had a great time exploring Cambria this weekend. We found some great restaurants, took a nice drive to see the elephant seal rookery and enjoyed the beautiful views of the central coast. The concourse on Saturday was full of great stuff, but honestly the bikes hanging on the racks at the big white barn stop we’re just as amazing. I like my Serottas and there were three legit ex-team bikes in Huffy and Murray livery when I was hanging up my bike.
I did the Heroic Route this year, with a friend John, who I met at last years event. The 5AM start time was nuts. First off, rolling down the empty streets of Cambria, I wondered if I had read the website correctly. As I rounded the corner to event area though, I spotted several other crazy people who were there for the same thing. Blasting down the coast to Cayucos in complete darkness and fog was a little unnerving at times, but also totally a hoot. It was still dark when we got to the pier for the first stop and chocolate covered strawberries.
Back on the road John and I had discussed how to conserve our energy for the impending climbs at Kiler Cyn and Cypress Mtn. We eventually joined in with a really great group of friends from Orange County and they pretty much allowed us to sit in all day, even waited up for us when we had the occasion pedal slip on a climb. Super nice guys.
I have climbed both Kiler and Cypress Mtn. climbs in previous events, but with them coming at the end of a big day, this year they were completely different animals. The surface on Kiler was recently graded and soft. Riders in front would stumble and cause the followers to have to dismount - so it was slow going. Cypress Mtn was as usual, just awful. I was so cooked by then I had to bail off and walk about the last 1/4 mile. While walking I was attacked by these awful flies, it was like they were mocking me for walking. Then came the descent, thrilling as usual. There are a lot of opportunities for catastrophe on that road. I find myself saying a little prayer of thanks every time I managed to get down that thing in one piece.
The Serotta Colorado, I built for this year, worked great - not one hiccup or even a flat tire. She sits filthy in the garage right now, I’ll get it cleaned up later - for now I’ll just let her sit in her “Heroic” state.

Last edited by velomateo; 04-08-19 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-08-19, 02:04 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Originally Posted by velomateo

I have climbed both Kiler and Cedar Mtn. climbs in previous events, but with them coming at the end of a big day, this year they were completely different animals. The surface on Kiler was recently graded and soft. Riders in front would stumble and cause the followers to have to dismount - so it was slow going. Cedar Mtn was as usual, just awful.
Yep, Cedar was no joke! I pulled over and stopped at a "turnout" to drink some water (that's a lie) when I heard somebody hooting and hollering up ahead. I was thinking that this could be one of the cruelest of jokes, or that the summit was near. I figured it was the latter, and with renewed vigor, re-mounted the bike, and rode triumphantly to the water stop at the peak, with the outward appearance of an effortless climb.
Old 04-08-19, 03:21 PM
jcb3

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Fun event.

I ended up riding with @Spaghetti_Legs and @gugie and Andy from Portland.

No other BF folks showed at 6 so we left. Gugie was right about it getting warm.

We ended up running into @davester and @rccardr as we were leaving Halter Ranch - apparently they waited for the rest of the BF crew until 6:45 (sorry guys!)

I will second that having Kiler and Cypress at the end was harder. I had to walk up the softer portion of Kiler and walked the last 500 yards of Cypress.

The Cypress descent was hairy as always.

Of note, I broke a toe clip near the strap

Sunrise at Cayucos Pier

Gugie gives a thumbs up on Kiler

Spaghetti Legs telling a tall tale to Gugie
(A slight reenactment of actual events)

Gotta love these guys - near the top of Kiler

Spaghetti Legs wins the sprint!

Me at the top of Cypress

Starting down Cypress

A masterful repair if I do say so myself
Duct tape and a piece of spoke

Last edited by jcb3; 04-09-19 at 05:42 AM.
Old 04-08-19, 06:00 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4310 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,601 Posts
Riding to Cayucos in the thick fog in the dark with my helmet light in a pretty good paceline - the light reflecting off the mist was like when they go lightspeed in StarTrek

When it got light, I had a new friend named Patrick and we both missed the turn to Santa Rita Rd. We rode the length of Dry Creek, crossed Highway 46 and wound up on Santa Rosa Creek Rd. Patrick got ahead of me and was out of sight when I convinced myself how far off course I was - mile 29 and no water stop in sight. I found a shortcut back to Olea Farms and then I was only 3 miles more on my distance than the route sheet said... never missed another turn after that, never saw Patrick again. Route markings could've been better though. I was half an hour behind my plan too.

Somewhere on Kiler, one of my toeclips came off - the bolts just disappeared, only the strap was holding it on. I took it off and strapped it to my seatpost, and the mechanic at Halter got me fixed back up. 85 miles and 3 o'clock... the time I had hoped to be finished.

Cypress Mountain kicked my butt, and I was way behind my plan now. The control said I was number 350 out of 400... there were a few riders hanging out there but some of them were quitting and asking for a ride back to the finish. Finished at 5:30 with 9022 feet of elevation gain, so I didn't miss any climbing but I did miss one section of gravel road at Santa Rita.

Is this Kiler? My camera crapped out toward the end and I'm not sure what's what.

My detour in blue.

Last edited by DiabloScott; 04-09-19 at 12:45 PM.
Old 04-08-19, 06:07 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4667 Post(s)
Liked 5,766 Times in 2,271 Posts
Il duce brings the lowdown from il Palazzo degli Eroi

Completely exhausted from this weekend, I'm randomly pecking at my laptop keyboard from a pub at SFO. I hope it comes out somewhat coherent.

And I'd do the whole weekend again in a hearbeat.

Inside information is a great thing (if SEC doesn't catch you). I had a converstion with the race organizer on a separate topic a week before he was set to make the Cambria move announcement, so I quickly got online and booked the entire Bridge Street Inn in Cambria. Even for a funky beach town, it was pretty funky. Six small bedrooms scattered around a small, two story house next to a church. In said bedrooms one will find 9 beds. In those 9 beds, 2 are queen size. I announced at BF the day when Cambria was announced, it quickly filled up. The queen beds were taken by riders bringing a wife or girlfriend, so we had 11 people stuffed into this little B&B style place. Luckily it had a more than adequate kitchen, and room to dine inside and out. The weather held up perfectly, evening meals were al fresco.

I'm damn tired right now, having riden the 82 mile La Via Dello Scalatore route, which means "all the damn climbs without the fries" in Italian, plus performing the role of il Duce at the Palazzo, and I'd like to say, the trains all ran on time over the weekend. My people may soon hang me from a piazza soon, but I guess I'm just a misunderstood dictator, but I digress...

For those that get bored and read my long trip reports, you may know that I can't seem to plan simple things, and seemingly increase the degree of difficulty as a thrill. This time was no exception. Despite the fact that @Andy_K, @SquireBlack and I know each other well, ride together reasonably often, and live with in 20 miles of each other, one drove down all the way from Portland with the bikes (Andy), one flew down to San Jose (Andrew), and I flew down to San Francisco. I was going to rent a car at SFO and drive down, but was offered a freeby from someone I'd never met on the CR group list to drive his car down to Cambria, as he was planning to ride down from the Bay Area to Cambria over several days with his uncle. We were to transport 2 bikes for the Eroica Concours event for them as well. As I'm wont to say when planning with excessively long odds, what could possibly go wrong? I flew in to SFO, took a short Lyft ride to Foster City, and picked up the car at James's place of work (the stranger with a car). I stopped by a nearby Trader Joe's and picked up an excessive amount of food to feed the cycling hoards expected to descend to the Palazzo over the weekend.

>$300 of food, no booze

After picking up Andrew at the San Jose airport, we sped south. A few miles past the San Jose city limits the freeway expanded to 6 lanes. Out of the corner of my eye I saw an orange car that looked familar. It passed another car, and I saw a bike rack loaded with two bikes. Damn, Andy has an orange Nitro and a two bike rack, one of his many jobs is to chauffeur me and my bike around Portlandia...I finally caught a glimps of the driver's face, and sure enough, buddy Andrew Kaylor was driving! I swerved across several lanes to get up close and personal. He looked up at the vintage bike on the roof rack, thought, hey, these guys are probably going to Eroica as well, and sped off. I sprinted to catch up again, manuevered alongside, Professor Black was waving like a deranged lunatic, so Andy took a look over with a quisical face, and a sudden burst of recognition appeared. We called, we talked, and decided to stop in Salinas for some eats together. After that we headed down to the Palazzo. Just after 5pm we saw this at the Cambria Turnoff:

Several palazzieri had already arrived and texted, I gave them the entry code, and when we pulled in, many were already sitting about drinking. We sorted out rooms and roomates, put the grillion pounds of tri-tip plus the rest of the TJ fixings into the fridge, then walked about 100 yards to Linn's restaurant for our Friday night big outing dinner. Outside of the BF group we had Bill Wayne and Bob Freeman, old college roomates and big hitters in the Classic Rendevouz group, and members of the Last Winter Tour of the Willamette Valley last month. In addition, legendary framebuilder, consultant to Shimano and Specialized, and general bike biz legend Jim Merz (friend of Bob and Bill's) came with. @merziac, eat your heart out:

Jim freakin' Merz and me

Other lesser luminaries,

ex-Marine @Choke and ex-Naval Lt. @Spaghetti Legs discussing, well, military stuff. Or bikes.

Scott, Bob Freeman, and @Andy_K
I didn't get a good shot of the other side of the table. After dinner we walked back to the Palazzo, and the serious partying started. Jim regaled us with historical stories of the bike business (one started with "well, I was headed back to Tulio's wake...) and some opinions on the Campy vs Shimano debate were given that only a person with nearly 50 years of bike biz experience could provide.

from l-r, Phil (one of Andy's cyclocross buddies), Andy, and Jim Merz

lower right to right: the top of Andrew's head, Bob Freeman, Spaghetti Legs, Bill Wayne, and a baseball cap. The Palazzo was bulging with vintage steel in the evenings as they came inside to protect them from vintage steel bike thieves.

to be continued...gotta flight to catch...

Last edited by gugie; 04-08-19 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-08-19, 06:10 PM
jcb3

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Is this Kiler? My camera crapped out toward the end and I'm not sure what's what.
Kiler indeed.

I was driving to Cambria from the south at 5:15 and saw the all the headlights in the fog. Looked totally insane. Good thing the fog cleared up by 6.

Glad you made it - Sounds like the time I had the brilliant idea to do the long ride.
Old 04-08-19, 06:55 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
Way more fun than I deserve. I wonder how much extra it will cost next year to get #2 from Wes? I had no idea that it was @velomateo and his friend that pulled me around for much of the long route. And I thought that Somec looked familiar, but the chrome fork through me off when I complemented @Erzulis Boat on his bike as I was fixing a flat a short way up Cypress.

Next year: We need some translucent spray to change the color of our pin on numbers. If Wes DQs us for doing so, and we don't get a free beer at the finish, or a coke at the top of Cypress Mountain, I think we will live.

El Jefe's Bike
Old 04-08-19, 06:57 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,297 Times in 3,632 Posts
@gugie

Thanks Mark, done.

I keep telling you guys Merz was in on more than anyone can imagine, one amazing guy. Counseled many greats and contributed in ways we'll never fully understand.
Old 04-08-19, 07:11 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
Thank you for sharing the stories and the photographs. It felt, almost, like I was there with you all.

You are all a great group of riders.

Maybe next year.

Again, thanks.
Old 04-08-19, 10:26 PM
Choke 
Disciple of St. Tullio

Bikes: Ciöcc, Bianchi, DeRosa, Eddy Merckx, Frejus, Hampsten, Kondor, Losa, Magni, Pegoretti, Pelizzoli, Pogliaghi, Scapin

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 138 Posts
@Andy_K and @Spaghetti Legs back at the Palazzo after dinner on Fri night

Jim Merz

Alex Singer tandem and some detail shots

I have never seen a one piece Ti stem and bar. This is on a Passoni.

@gugie cutting tri-tip on Saturday night. We had an awesome meal; many thanks to @Classtime for the work that he did in making that happen, the salsa and guacamole in the pic are only part of his effort.

@Andy_K (Brooklyn) and @Straightblock (white helmet, blue jersey)

This Wilier was made with Columbus MS....one of ten made with that tubing according to the owner.

Elephant seals lounging on the beach
Old 04-09-19, 05:47 AM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 205 Posts
I won't be able to make the pre-ride. I will be leaving Santa Barbara at noon and then grabbing my brother in Los Olivos.

Does anybody have the latest location of the sign in area for this afternoon?
is "Los Olivos" some sort of euphemism i haven't heard before? you and your brother must be VERY close!
Old 04-09-19, 07:37 AM
velomateo

Bikes: '87 Serotta Colorado,'96 Moots VaMoots, Bertoni MAX, Eddy Merckx Grand Prix Team USA

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
Way more fun than I deserve. I wonder how much extra it will cost next year to get #2 from Wes? I had no idea that it was @velomateo and his friend that pulled me around for much of the long route. And I thought that Somec looked familiar, but the chrome fork through me off when I complemented @Erzulis Boat on his bike as I was fixing a flat a short way up Cypress.

Next year: We need some translucent spray to change the color of our pin on numbers. If Wes DQs us for doing so, and we don't get a free beer at the finish, or a coke at the top of Cypress Mountain, I think we will live.

El Jefe's Bike
Ha! Small world. If you were riding the Medici, it may have clicked for me. I considered writing my screen name on my number, but didn’t have a Sharpee. Good riding with you.
Old 04-09-19, 07:40 AM
alan1701

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
love this thread. great photos!
Old 04-09-19, 08:54 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 420 Posts
It was a great event. I wimped out and did the short coastal 35 mile ( I only got 33 on my Garmin, and 900something of elevation). If not heroic, it was a beautiful ride. For once, the Legnano was perfectly geared for this ride. I ditched the half clips and went back to full clips and straps. No issues there, in fact, I almost forgot about them, which is saying a lot from an SPD guy, toe clip hater. I hung mostly with Pasadena vintage mates, sorry Bart, never did see you. I've ridden this route many times on other rides and solo, so there were no surprises, except riding out to the lighthouse was fun. Never saw that side of it before. Huge turnout for the less than heroic ride. I enjoyed riding north, with Mike from Seattle, riding his "had from new" lime green 1970 Schwinn Super Sport. Just before the lighthouse, I stopped for a photo, lost Mike, but hooked up with Scott from Pasadena group on his red Klein Team Issue. Pretty bike. Nice tailwind, downhill mostly back, almost hot. Great food, fruit and sandwiches at the Lighthouse, and decent pasta at the end. Bonus! Stopped near Morro bay and picked up a blue Gran Premio, little brother to my blue Roma Olympiade. What a great weekend, thanks Richard for the great visit, and smokin deal on the GP. BFers are the best people ever. I took over 400 pics, and will post more, but heres a few.

Concours/swap meet photo link, still sorting ride photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/cP4Y9JqvthnwjNv26

Drillium bottle at the concours.

Wilson, Gail, me and Scott from Pasadena group,

Legnano taking a break.

Piedras Blancas from the ocean side.

Swap meet loot, around $100, such deals!

Reflections on a great weekend see you next year!

Diff'rent strokes, two wheel fun.

My Eroica souvenir, Thanks Richard!

Patina.

Last edited by Slightspeed; 04-10-19 at 03:21 AM.
Old 04-09-19, 12:22 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by jcb3

Spaghetti Legs telling a tall tale to Gugie
I believe that's called role reversal.
Old 04-09-19, 12:40 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4310 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,601 Posts
Originally Posted by jcb3
I was driving to Cambria from the south at 5:15 and saw the all the headlights in the fog. Looked totally insane. Good thing the fog cleared up by 6.
Old 04-09-19, 01:07 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Originally Posted by mgopack42
is "Los Olivos" some sort of euphemism i haven't heard before? you and your brother must be VERY close!
He just moved there, it's definitely a town!
Old 04-09-19, 01:13 PM
Spaghetti Legs 

Bikes: Numerous

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 1672 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 904 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
I believe that's called role reversal.
I'm pretty sure I was expressing amazement at only 5 cogs on the rear wheel.
N = '96 Colnago C40, '04 Wilier Alpe D'Huez, '10 Colnago EPS, '85 Merckx Pro, '89 Merckx Century, '86 Tommasini Professional, '04 Teschner Aero FX Pro, '05 Alan Carbon Cross, '86 De Rosa Professional, '82 Colnago Super, '95 Gios Compact Pro, '95 Carrera Zeus, '84 Basso Gap, ‘89 Cinelli Supercorsa, ‘83 Bianchi Specialissima, ‘VO Randonneur, Ritchey Breakaway Steel, '84 Paletti Super Prestige, Heron Randonneur

Old 04-09-19, 01:15 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs
I'm pretty sure I was expressing amazement at only 5 cogs on the rear wheel.
Old man corncob, 28-29-30-31-32
Old 04-09-19, 01:24 PM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 178 Posts
I supported the Nova event on Saturday and rode the Coastal Route on Sunday. It was fun to be on the course both days! When my friend sent the pic I noticed Giancarlo in the background! BTW, I WAS wearing wool underneath!

Me on the right, my friend Crag on the left.
Old 04-09-19, 01:54 PM
brockd15 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
On Saturday I realized that I had forgotten water bottles and my headlight mount! I was thinking about doing a shorter route this year and thought I may not have a choice if I couldn't work out the light situation. Luckily, I was able to grab a few computer mounts from the Cambria Bike Kitchen and one of them sorta fit. I had to mount it on the stem instead of the bars, but it looked like it would work. That done, and using a couple bottles of Vitamin Water, I committed to the heroic route.

I rode from our VRBO to the start (with hills at least as steep as anything on the route!), and it's a good thing I did. Embarrassing as it is to admit, I had literally only sat on the Davidson up to the morning of the ride, not actually ridden it. I've had other rides lined up and very limited time, so when I've had a chance to get out it's been on my Landshark that I use for those longer rides. Right off the bat my headlight slipped out of the ghetto rigged mount and my rear wheel slipped in the dropouts on the first steep hill. But other than a slight seatpost slippage later in the day, those were the only bike-related issues I had.

I left with a group of about 8 at 5:20 or so. Even with my compromised headlight mount, it was the best available light in the group so I pulled all the way to the pier in Cayucos. I was checking the light every 5 seconds to be sure I didn't drop it, then stashed it in a pocket as soon as I could get away with it. The fog limited visibility and was thick enough that it would bead up and drip off my helmet. Leaving Cayucos, I stayed pretty much in the vicinity of the same group of riders the whole time, none of which were BF'ers as far as I know. The climbs were brutal, as usual, and got progressively harder through the day.

- Santa Rita was hard but manageable.

- Kiler was super hard but not as bad as I remember it being last year. I stopped for a breather once before riding the rest of the way up...the hardest part was getting going again.

- And Cypress was a monster that just never seemed to end. I stopped for a breather on it, too, and had to walk a little bit to get to a spot where I could get started on the bike again. The Cypress descent was pretty hairy. My brakes did an admirable job as long as I could squeeze hard enough, which meant super fatigued hands and tingling fingers by the time I got to the bottom. No was was I going to bomb down that one.

The only mishap I had was missing a left turn that wasn't marked. I went straight, wondering if it was the right way, onto a pretty awful road full of deep pot holes and big hills, which made think I was definitely on the right track . Then I ended up on private vineyard land with no tire tracks in the dirt, so I pulled out the cue sheet, rode back up and down the couple hills, and corrected course.

The bike was great. I hadn't ridden clips and straps or used DT friction shifters since Eroica last year, so it took a little time to adjust but it was fine. I ride SMP saddles, not Brooks, so doing a 100+ on any Brooks is never great, but I can't bring myself to swap to an SMP for this ride. The Swift and I got along reasonably well, I think. I wore a pair of 1980's vintage Avocet cross shoes that were surprisingly comfortable. They started the ride fully intact but by the and about 75% of the soles on both shoes had peeled clean off.

All in all, a really nice weekend. Fantastic weather for the ride, great people, and vintage eye candy all over!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.