Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Ball Bearings: "Chrome" or "Chrome Steel" or what?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Ball Bearings: "Chrome" or "Chrome Steel" or what?

Old 02-20-20, 03:40 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
Originally Posted by thriftyswift3
Ha! Thanks. Not so much trying to sell me a bike as turning up their noses and/or telling me they can't help me.

But thanks!
Just walk in carrying a greasy part. They'll be happy to get you off the sales floor and talking to the mechanics in the back.
Old 02-21-20, 07:47 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 405 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
...As an engineer myself, I have to say that for our bikes we don't need bearings designed for super duty. It's a bike. With a guy or gal on it. Not a 200kw electric motor driving a two-mile long coal conveyer belt. I use steel bearings in my bikes, FWIW...
Well said. Over half of industrial electrical motor failures have the same failure modes as bicycles, not the bearings, the most common being inappropriate re-lubrication intervals and over filling grease cavities. I was a maintenance manager in mining, where we had a 10,000 horsepower motor that we had to notify the largest nuclear power plant in the US before we started her up.

Last edited by easyupbug; 02-21-20 at 07:47 AM. Reason: edit
Old 02-21-20, 08:47 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
Well said. Over half of industrial electrical motor failures have the same failure modes as bicycles, not the bearings, the most common being inappropriate re-lubrication intervals and over filling grease cavities. I was a maintenance manager in mining, where we had a 10,000 horsepower motor that we had to notify the largest nuclear power plant in the US before we started her up.
Thanks. I worked in heavy construction (Fluor Daniel) and chemical operations (DuPont) and we had some big stuff. But that 10,000HP motor beats anything I ever saw! Wow! That's pretty cool. And I understand the need for notice. The power companies don't like it if you draw down their system by 15 volts!
Old 03-04-20, 10:49 PM
thriftyswift3
Roll Swift on the Thrift.

Bikes: Nishiki Olympic, Fuji Grand, 1980? Scwhinn Le Tour, 1970 Concord Deluxe, American Flyer Emperor, 198(x) Cannondale road bike, Trek 720 Multi Trak, 198(x) Cannondale mountain bike, 198(x) Motobecane road bike, 196(x) Sears cruiser, 1960 Scwhinn Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
I actually purchased 80 ball bearings of a few different sizes at the local co-op.

The small bottles from which I dispensed the bearings were worn/dirty and the diameters were written in marker on the bottles. Some other bottles of bearings were brought out though, and I was able to read "Carbon Steel" and a grade of like 200 or 250! So, those were some low grade ball bearings there compared to what I read online were preferred (what, grade 20 or something?)

For the record, I'm still unclear on how the word "chrome" really factors in here, but I am going to assume that "chrome steel" is a type of steel alloy.

FYI, the lead guy at the co-op did say he had seen some used ball bearings that appeared to have had a coating coming off. Chrome plating?
Old 03-04-20, 11:39 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Probably not chrome plated -- probably the balls were corroded and of inconsistent appearance when rotated under light.

I know that using grade 25 ball bearings for bicycle applications may seem like overkill, but there is, in my opinion, a noticeable difference in the smoothness of rotation between a Record hub and, for example, a Normandy Sport -- or even a Normandy Luxe Competition. Every Mavic hub I've ever held was super smooth also, smoothest cartridge bearing hub. Of course, it's not just the balls because putting grade 25 balls in a Normandy Sport won't make it spin like a Record, or even a Nuovo Tipo, I've tried. So, maybe a Record hub with grade 300 balls would spin as smooth.

As for grease fill in bicycle applications, I found this posting by Ric Hjertberg interesting.
Likes For desconhecido:
Old 04-02-20, 12:20 AM
frizzen

Bikes: 1955 Hercules Royal Prince Fixed Gear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
The steel for bearings is usually 52100, which has 1% carbon, about 1.5% Chromium, and a lesser amount of several other metals. Calling it chrome steel is common, if not very informative.
Old 04-02-20, 12:32 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4789 Post(s)
Liked 3,915 Times in 2,546 Posts
Originally Posted by sharktrack
This might be trending slightly away from the main theme but is there any benefit in replacing standard steel balls with ceramic? They're definitely more expensive but supposedly rounder and harder and may not need grease?
You'll notice a real difference climbing. (Your wallet will be a lot lighter.)
Old 04-02-20, 05:09 AM
100bikes
Industry guy

Bikes: To many to name - I ride a custom built steel frame.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 48 Posts
As I recall, the # grade of the bearing is not only the precision of size and an indicator of material quality,
but the the consistency of size relative to the other bearings as well. All the balls are within a given tolerance
of size to the others.

The lower the grade number, the higher/closer the tolerances.

That is why there are more expensive, and IMO, worthwhile for precision replacements.

All things being equal, a grade 25 bearing (Campagnolo quality) in a precision setting will likely be smoother, and
have a longer life than a grade 300 matched set up.

Replacing a grade 25 bearing with a grade 300 version will likely cause pitting of the cone and bearing to be accelerated.

Replacing a 300 grade bearing with a grade 25 bearing in a non precision setting( soft, non ground cone and cup) will not offer
any appreciable benefit, although it will work well. It will not stave off the wear inherent in a non precision set up.

Wear is a function of the least precise part and ground surfaces are much more precise.

Low end cones(softer, non ground, chromed) and low end bearings(grade 300 ) will be common on bicycles, but are more
likely to pit the cones and break down the bearings- even if there were properly adjusted.

It is not that "Campagnolo quality " cones and bearings cannot pit, but would be generally less likely to if properly
assembled, adjusted and with occasional service.

Impurities in the grease from use(dust, dirt) or metal particles from the manufacturing process that were not removed
before assembly are the bane of longevity.

Check the grease out of a low end hub, headset or crank, especially if they use retainer type bearings, after years of use.
You will likely find there is some metal particles from the break down of the bearing and or cone.
The grease will have a metallic color and will feel a bit "rough" when you roll it around on your fingers.

The surfaces of the bearing will also bear a different finish than a precision ground, better steel grade set up.

rusty