Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trek Marlin 5 vs. Marlin 6 vs. Dual Sport 2?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-02-20, 08:01 PM
mtbike894

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello fellow bikers,

I am trying to decide between the three bikes listed above for some casual, recreational biking. I plan to bike on neighborhood roads, nature trails, and maybe even a bit of offroad biking on dirt and rocky paths. I am also going to a school in the mountains, so while it does have roads, there are a lot of nature and hiking trails as well. I am a beginner biker and don't plan to do mountain biking as a competitive sport. However, I am considering it. As for my normal bike routine, I wouldn't do any jumps or stunts or anything like that. Most importantly, I am looking for a bike that can handle rough and mountainous terrain and trails, but is also not sluggish when it comes to riding on the roads. I would like the best of both worlds. I also would like to know which bike has the best technical specifications, and which one gives you the biggest bang for your buck.

So, based on the information above, which bike would you recommend? It seems like the Marlin 5 is really popular, almost like the flagship bike for Trek. However, through online and video reviews, it doesn't seem to be as impressive in regards to specs compared to the Marlin 6 or DS 2. Let me know what you think!
Old 06-05-20, 11:14 PM
frizzen

Bikes: 1955 Hercules Royal Prince Fixed Gear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I've been looking at mtn bikes in this range too. The Marlin 6 or 7 looks pretty nice, except for the forks. The coil spring forks are heavy - and everybody says they are garbage. I've got my eye on the Excaliber 7 or the Vitis Sentier 29.

Last edited by frizzen; 06-06-20 at 10:56 AM.