Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Do you keep your bikes clean? How clean??

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Do you keep your bikes clean? How clean??

Old 06-06-21, 08:04 PM
nesteel 

Bikes: See the signature....

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 188 Times in 112 Posts
My vintage stuff stays very clean, mainly due to limited use. The more modern stuff gets dirty, and typically stays that way. Drivetrain maintenance on those is kept up. Dry chain lube is key.
Old 06-06-21, 08:38 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1504 Post(s)
Liked 3,444 Times in 1,127 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
Mmmm...Brent, what kind of tires are those?
Veloflex Vlaanderen, unfortunately discontinued, but they do make a 28mm "Pro Tour."
Brent
Old 06-06-21, 09:06 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 545 Posts
obrentharris Oh, I've got a pair of 28mm Veloflex Vlaanderens on my LOOK. Fantastic tires! Yours just look extra fat in the photo. I thought they might've been a slightly wider cyclocross tire. Haven't tried the 28mm Pro Tours, but they're on my radar.
Old 06-06-21, 09:40 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris

Brent
I agree it can be fun to get them dirty and the results can even look like art. As such, this photo needs to be in this thread: Show me artsy photos of your bike

DD
Old 06-06-21, 10:20 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
I'll kick off the dirt clods. The rest is patina.
Old 06-07-21, 07:23 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 312 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyace
I've seen this mentioned in a couple of different places, and find it interesting. What sort of wax do you use to do this? I would love to have a consistently cleaner drivetrain.

Also wondering about using ultrasonic parts cleaners, especially for building up bikes from various used (often grungy) components. Any particular brand that's recommended, or are they all about the same?
I’m using “Gulf” canning wax that I buy at the grocery store and melt in a mini-crock pot. Currently I am trying to thin the wax slightly with a tablespoon or two of lamp oil from Wal-mart. For best results start with a new chain that has been prepped according to the procedure posted on the Molten Speed Wax website. I configured a coat hanger into the exact “swishy tool” they describe and this facilitates better wax penetration so if you’re lucky the chain will remain silent for a few rides. Chain noise is my biggest complaint about waxing - it can come on too early - sometimes at the end of just one ride!

I do have an Ultrasonic cleaner that was a good one when I bought it. It is a “Prosonix” 3.5 gallon heated unit. The USA company no longer appears to be in business. I accidentally lost several of the transducers due to running it low on water accidentally.
Likes For masi61:
Old 06-09-21, 08:39 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 2,278 Times in 1,100 Posts
masi61 are you waxing heavier chains on vintage bikes or thinner chains on 8x + drives, or both? The drivetrains on my older bikes with black chains and freewheels don't look as bad to me as the silver components on my newer bike. I cleaned the drivetrain on my Trek this weekend and after I ride it this Saturday I know it is going to look terrible again. I wouldn't mind it looking better for a bit longer and I'm open to exploring this for my next chain.

Old 06-21-21, 06:20 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 269 Posts
I'll probably end up going the waxed chain route in the future, but does anyone have any experience with the Park Chain and Drivetrain Cleaning Kit? Worth it?

Old 06-21-21, 07:05 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
I'll probably end up going the waxed chain route in the future, but does anyone have any experience with the Park Chain and Drivetrain Cleaning Kit? Worth it?
No. About the only thing they are good at is making everything around them dirty. If you drape the room like Dexter, you might keep the room clean.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 06-21-21, 07:07 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 269 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
No. About the only thing they are good at is making everything around them dirty. If you drape the room like Dexter, you might keep the room clean.
Thanks, good to know. That's exactly what I was wondering about.
Old 06-22-21, 08:38 PM
blaugusto

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just clean enough to not get my clothes dirty
Old 06-22-21, 10:25 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Chain cleaning doodads like that are useful if:
  • You use them outdoors and don't mind the spatter on the grass or ground.
  • You use wet lubes that invariably attract a lot of road gunk.
  • Or, you use it on a brand new chain just to remove the factory lube and then replace it with wax or a semi-dry lube like Rock 'n' Roll Absolute Dry, which is PTFE powder suspended in naphtha.

I used one for awhile a few years ago (another brand, White Lightning, I think). It worked okay, especially cleaning between the links where most of the wear occurs.

But I switched to mostly wax or semi-dry lubes like Rock 'n' Roll Absolute Dry and Gold. I still use Park CL-1 wet lube on my errand bike for all weather use.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 06-23-21, 02:38 AM
youcallmetube

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Cleaning after rides in winter, when riding in summer only once it's not appealing to my eyes anymore.
Old 06-23-21, 12:51 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4494 Post(s)
Liked 6,300 Times in 3,633 Posts
Not very, , don't get most of them very dirty usually.

The rain bike is a modern Fuji and did get some scrubbing mainly to see how it was doing underneath a couple years of slurry, grit and nasty grime that was though to get off.

Some did not come off, some took 2 levels of Maguiars to almost get it off, needs up close and personal inch by inch in the stand likely with some parts removal to get there.

Likely not gonna happen, too many other things needing that kind of drilldown.
Old 06-23-21, 02:55 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 299 Posts
How often should the bike be polished or waxed? I see many people mention they do this. I usually apply polish to my cars in the spring and in the fall to provide some protection for the winter months. Not related to the bikes, because I won't ride them in the winter but I am just curious.

Also, I have a nice old Peugeot but I've noticed the paint has started to look a bit dull and I was wondering if that's because of exposure to the sun when I'm riding? I take it out at least 1/week sometimes twice.
Likes For gthomson:
Old 06-24-21, 11:30 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson
How often should the bike be polished or waxed? I see many people mention they do this. I usually apply polish to my cars in the spring and in the fall to provide some protection for the winter months. Not related to the bikes, because I won't ride them in the winter but I am just curious.

Also, I have a nice old Peugeot but I've noticed the paint has started to look a bit dull and I was wondering if that's because of exposure to the sun when I'm riding? I take it out at least 1/week sometimes twice.
I wax mine in the spring just for spiffin’ up more than anything else unless riding in a storm to get home. In that case the bike gets a detergent wash with a wax afterward.
Likes For OldsCOOL:
Old 06-25-21, 07:47 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5220 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
I wax mine in the spring just for spiffin’ up
what do you use? spray on Pledge?
Old 06-25-21, 10:22 AM
acm

Bikes: '84 Centurion Pro Tour 15; '97 Cannondale M900

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts
IMO, a bike should be dirty when it comes back from a ride but never when it goes out! About 70% of my riding is on paved roads but the other 30% is on rail trails that are a mixed bag of gravel/stone dust/dirt. I keep the grit off my drivetrain by using paraffin wax as a chain lubricant so that needs very little attention. The frame/pedals/etc get a quick spritz with WD40 and a rag after most rides. Off-season I'll give the frame a good going-over with carnauba wax.
Old 06-25-21, 03:31 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by acm
I keep the grit off my drivetrain by using paraffin wax as a chain lubricant so that needs very little attention. The frame/pedals/etc get a quick spritz with WD40 and a rag after most rides.
Well there’s your problem. WD-40 is 25% oil that becomes 100% oil when the solvent evaporates. You might as well just stick double sided tape to your frame. You would probably pick up less junk with double sided tape.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-25-21, 04:22 PM
acm

Bikes: '84 Centurion Pro Tour 15; '97 Cannondale M900

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Well there’s your problem. WD-40 is 25% oil that becomes 100% oil when the solvent evaporates. You might as well just stick double sided tape to your frame. You would probably pick up less junk with double sided tape.
I haven't really had a problem with this at all tbh, my bikes are rarely filthy even after riding in stone dust, just usually grit on the back of the seatpost and around the fork crown
Old 06-25-21, 04:47 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
what do you use? spray on Pledge?
I Pledge to keep that a secret.
Likes For OldsCOOL:
Old 06-26-21, 08:44 PM
drahimi

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
As a road rider, I clean the bike every three rides or so. Unless it is wet -- then I clean it after the ride. I use a dry lube and unless it rains I clean the chain once a week.