Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My return from Fred-dom

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

My return from Fred-dom

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-21, 03:51 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,390 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
The cool one.
I'm going to play devil's advocate here and say that David Mitchell's nasally posh accent shall thus be considered cool.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 12-17-21 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-09-21, 04:57 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyace
Anyone that has ridden with me knows that I haven't worn proper kit or used toeclips/SPDs since I quit road racing in the late 80s. I'm most likely seen riding in regular old cargo-type shorts, t-shirt, and some kind of funky non-biking type shoes (or even Keen sandals!).

I've been thinking a lot lately about changing that, and so yesterday I broke down and ordered proper bike shorts and a jersey from J&G Cyclewear (made in Oregon!).

Why now? Entirely practical reasons, I suppose. I felt like I wanted a clean separation between my biking clothes and my street clothes, jersey pockets are very handy, and it's just more comfortable on long rides.

I'm still on the fence, however, about shoes/toeclips/SPDs. Maybe I'll find some vintage shoes like my old Vittoria's, remove the cleats, and attach the clips/straps that I have in the parts bin. We'll see.
One of my favorite topics, no SPD or the like for me, can't stand the look and have a bad, crooked ankle that won't do it, period.

Oldschool clips and straps all the way, just tight enough to cradle and keep my foot on the pedals.

I have Campy and MKS with Soma dual gate clips and christophe straps on most all my bikes.

I have several shoes that I use, mainly some Nike TRX 3's that slip in and grip pretty well, have good support. Tiger/ASIC's Mexico's, kinda thin but great classic looks.

And these that I have not put a lot of miles on but work very well and really look the part.

Oldschool real deal shoes with cleats gone and a protective sole installed, a bit pricey but whats not these days.

Likes For merziac:
Old 06-09-21, 05:58 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
One of my favorite topics, no SPD or the like for me, can't stand the look and have a bad, crooked ankle that won't do it, period.

Oldschool clips and straps all the way, just tight enough to cradle and keep my foot on the pedals.

I have Campy and MKS with Soma dual gate clips and christophe straps on most all my bikes.

I have several shoes that I use, mainly some Nike TRX 3's that slip in and grip pretty well, have good support. Tiger/ASIC's Mexico's, kinda thin but great classic looks.

And these that I have not put a lot of miles on but work very well and really look the part.

Oldschool real deal shoes with cleats gone and a protective sole installed, a bit pricey but whats not these days.
I like what you've got going on there. That's probably the route I'll go, since I already pretty much have everything except the shoes. Although I may not even bother with the shoes. Honestly, even when I was still racing, I used clips/straps until the end, and never made the transition to SPDs.
Old 06-09-21, 06:03 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Is that the one that doesn't require subtitles?
I can assure you there were no subtitles in my head.

Originally Posted by scarlson
Envisioning Alan Ford's voice right now
Originally Posted by cudak888
I'm going to play devil's advocate here and say David Mitchell.

-Kurt
Actually just random, but you might say it was something like Sir Alec Guinness. By all means, insert preferred accent as seen fit.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 06-09-21, 07:48 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Most everyday clothes are just fine for everyday riding.

When you're doing specialized riding (e.g., training, racing, for sport), clothes designed to keep one comfortable and minimally chafed are advisable too.

Now if someone suggests that one absolutely needs cycling shorts and a team jersey to ride an IGH city bike to the store and back...well, I can tell you the Freddiot of the two isn't the party that's content using everyday clothes for the task.

-Kurt

P.S.: The safety nannies have yet to come up with any scientific evidence that sandals are a problem while riding. Wear them with pride, knowing that you're pissing off someone in their SUV who thinks that your sandals - not their two-ton battering ram - is somehow the biggest threat to human life in the vicinity. Irony can be sweet and on your feet.
I just need to remind myself “No bunny hops in flip flops.”

Foot slipped off the pedal a couple weeks ago. More precisely foot slipped out of the flip flop. Crank spun around gouging the leg that was now barefoot.

Yes, I’ll own it. I’ve paid the stupid tax many times.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 06-09-21, 08:44 PM
Jimbo1983

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 31 Posts
I might have missed it when reading the thread as I have a tendency to do that, but what are those cool old leather shoes you all are using? I have been looking online for some but it can be hard to locate without a name. I did find Dromarti which look pretty nice. I have been considering going to non-clip shoes after riding clipless for ages, as I have dicky knees and think it would just be better for them. I could just use clips and straps like some others do here just to keep my feet on the pedals but that's it.

E. Did see the Holdsworth ones, thanks for that rec. All sold out though as mentioned

Last edited by Jimbo1983; 06-09-21 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Re-reading
Old 06-09-21, 09:57 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
Most everyday clothes are just fine for everyday riding.

When you're doing specialized riding (e.g., training, racing, for sport), clothes designed to keep one comfortable and minimally chafed are advisable too.

Now if someone suggests that one absolutely needs cycling shorts and a team jersey to ride an IGH city bike to the store and back...well, I can tell you the Freddiot of the two isn't the party that's content using everyday clothes for the task.

-Kurt

P.S.: The safety nannies have yet to come up with any scientific evidence that sandals are a problem while riding. Wear them with pride, knowing that you're pissing off someone in their SUV who thinks that your sandals - not their two-ton battering ram - is somehow the biggest threat to human life in the vicinity. Irony can be sweet and on your feet.
There is an entire cycling shorts thread going on elsewhere that made me think if I had a nickel for every mile I rode in the summer as a kid with whitey tighty underwear under jean shorts I could pay the COVID tax on all the bikes on my local craigslist.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 06-10-21, 09:57 AM
droppedandlost 
small ring

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 370 Posts
Anyone that has ridden with me knows that I haven't worn proper kit or used toeclips/SPDs since I quit road racing in the late 80s. I'm most likely seen riding in regular old cargo-type shorts, t-shirt, and some kind of funky non-biking type shoes (or even Keen sandals!).

I've been thinking a lot lately about changing that, and so yesterday I broke down and ordered proper bike shorts and a jersey from J&G Cyclewear (made in Oregon!).

Why now? Entirely practical reasons, I suppose. I felt like I wanted a clean separation between my biking clothes and my street clothes, jersey pockets are very handy, and it's just more comfortable on long rides.

I'm still on the fence, however, about shoes/toeclips/SPDs. Maybe I'll find some vintage shoes like my old Vittoria's, remove the cleats, and attach the clips/straps that I have in the parts bin. We'll see.
You might also consider liner shorts. Basically lycra underwear with or without a chamois. That way you could maintain Fredly appearances.
Likes For droppedandlost:
Old 06-10-21, 12:48 PM
Aquiles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by droppedandlost
You might also consider liner shorts. Basically lycra underwear with or without a chamois. That way you could maintain Fredly appearances.
You could use street-wear over that kind of shorts ? I'm new to road cycling.
Old 06-10-21, 04:37 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Originally Posted by droppedandlost
Nah, I'm good with just wearing the proper cycling shorts. They arrived today (super fast shipping!), and the shorts and jersey fit great. Big shout-out to J&G Cyclewear: excellent customer service; initially the jersey I wanted was out-of-stock, but I inquired when they would be back in stock, and they emailed me right away and said they had one left in my size.

As an added benefit, my wife approves wholeheartedly. Turns out women love a man in uniform. I had quit racing about a year or two before we met, so she has never seen me in kit.
Likes For johnnyace:
Old 06-10-21, 04:39 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Originally Posted by Aquiles
You could use street-wear over that kind of shorts ? I'm new to road cycling.
Yes, absolutely. Many people do. Also check out the Touring Shorts at J&G, which can be worn over Lycra shorts.
Likes For johnnyace:
Old 06-11-21, 01:44 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Originally Posted by Jimbo1983
I might have missed it when reading the thread as I have a tendency to do that, but what are those cool old leather shoes you all are using? I have been looking online for some but it can be hard to locate without a name. I did find Dromarti which look pretty nice. I have been considering going to non-clip shoes after riding clipless for ages, as I have dicky knees and think it would just be better for them. I could just use clips and straps like some others do here just to keep my feet on the pedals but that's it.

E. Did see the Holdsworth ones, thanks for that rec. All sold out though as mentioned
These?

If so, they are oldschool racing and cycling shoes that had cleats screwed or nailed to the sole that trapped the shoe on the pedal when you cinched down the strap.

I completely removed the cleats and mounting screws and had regular protective soles put on for traction and a small bit of cushion. they work very well but are stiff as can be so I need to wear them more.

They can be a bit hard to find used in the right size and can be spendy, mine are a bit big, which is ok, I got mine with a bike that I bought so lucked out.

Old 06-11-21, 01:56 AM
Jimbo1983

These?

If so, they are oldschool racing and cycling shoes that had cleats screwed or nailed to the sole that trapped the shoe on the pedal when you cinched down the strap.

I completely removed the cleats and mounting screws and had regular protective soles put on for traction and a small bit of cushion. they work very well but are stiff as can be so I need to wear them more.

They can be a bit hard to find used in the right size and can be spendy, mine are a bit big, which is ok, I got mine with a bike that I bought so lucked out.

Thank you! Yes I thought they looked very nice. I have some old Agu shoes I could maybe use in that fashion, as they won't fit my speedplay cleats due to the curvature of the sole and placement of the bolts. That's a good idea using them like that thanks.
Likes For Jimbo1983:
Old 06-11-21, 03:32 AM
merziac

Originally Posted by Jimbo1983
Thank you! Yes I thought they looked very nice. I have some old Agu shoes I could maybe use in that fashion, as they won't fit my speedplay cleats due to the curvature of the sole and placement of the bolts. That's a good idea using them like that thanks.
You're welcome, keep in mind they are very slick and dangerous without the protective sole I had put on which is not cheap so the shoes need to be in good enough shape to justify it.
Old 06-11-21, 03:50 AM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
To each his own, I say ...

But personally I draw the line at sandals. Firmly. A sartorial faux pas of extraordinary magnitude. On the beach, when no one is watching? Maybe. But in the out and open? No sir.

My favorite cycling shoes for riding in town: hand-made Italian eel skin. And no, they have no SPD cleats.

On a more serious note: I like wool jerseys and shorts. Good-looking, comfortable, and the back pockets are very useful indeed. However, I find I don't really need them, at least not for the kind of rides I do: mostly leisurely rides up to 100k. And when touring, there are advantages to wearing "normal" clothing. Like when you ride into a town, and want to have lunch in a decent restaurant.

WRT shoes, I find these a good compromise. Classic cycle touring shoes. They are made for clips and straps, to be used without cleats, and - sort of - work well with both formal cycling apparel (wool), and a more casual outfit:

I have them in brown and black, of course.
Beautiful!
Likes For SapInMyBlood:
Old 06-11-21, 01:19 PM
Jimbo1983

You're welcome, keep in mind they are very slick and dangerous without the protective sole I had put on which is not cheap so the shoes need to be in good enough shape to justify it.
Good point
Old 06-11-21, 02:35 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
Sad day when Johnny Ace loses his fred threads, memories of drafting behind his big motor on a 50 year old french bike, passing a solid line of crapon and lycra on a metric century and asking, loudly as we zipped by, “how much you pay for that bike Johnny?” and hearing him reply, loudly, “three fiddy, gugie, three fiddy!”
Old 06-11-21, 04:46 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Originally Posted by gugie
Sad day when Johnny Ace loses his fred threads, memories of drafting behind his big motor on a 50 year old french bike, passing a solid line of crapon and lycra on a metric century and asking, loudly as we zipped by, “how much you pay for that bike Johnny?” and hearing him reply, loudly, “three fiddy, gugie, three fiddy!”
I'll probably break it out again for select events featuring lots of crapon fibber riders, just so we can savor such moments, but for riding with the usual suspects, I'm goin' legit. I noticed when we did our own Champoeg ride back in April, that things were somewhat *ahem* uncomfortable down below after about 40 miles. Cotton and seams and whatnot.

But wait! Who is this imposter "Johnny Ace?" Signed up 11-16-11, and has never posted anything? I am the REAL johnnyace!
Old 06-11-21, 07:21 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
I’m going to stop short of saying cycling specific shirts, shorts or shoes are “required” but will say that I most often ride with at least two of the three, those being shorts and shoes. While I have a closet full of flashy cycling shirts with back pockets and a rather tight (aero) fit, i usually wear some kind of sport fabric shirt from WalMart. For me, the padding and seamless design makes for a more comfortable ride. Padded underwear with Carhart cargo shorts still have seams that can chafe sensitive areas. Most of my bikes have either SPD type or Look type pedals. Only one (maybe two) have Look types, most have SPD type (even road bikes) and a few have platform types. I prefer the SPDs because the cleat is recessed into the sole of the shoe. Look type cleats make for a goofy gait when off the bike especially with the cleat covers.
I guess it’s pretty “Fred” of me but I will mix and match and don’t really care what the purists think.

Last edited by sovende; 06-11-21 at 07:56 PM.
Likes For sovende:
Old 06-11-21, 09:22 PM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by sovende
I’m going to stop short of saying cycling specific shirts, shorts or shoes are “required” but will say that I most often ride with at least two of the three, those being shorts and shoes. While I have a closet full of flashy cycling shirts with back pockets and a rather tight (aero) fit, i usually wear some kind of sport fabric shirt from WalMart. For me, the padding and seamless design makes for a more comfortable ride. Padded underwear with Carhart cargo shorts still have seams that can chafe sensitive areas. Most of my bikes have either SPD type or Look type pedals. Only one (maybe two) have Look types, most have SPD type (even road bikes) and a few have platform types. I prefer the SPDs because the cleat is recessed into the sole of the shoe. Look type cleats make for a goofy gait when off the bike especially with the cleat covers.
I guess it’s pretty “Fred” of me but I will mix and match and don’t really care what the purists think.
SPD's are the way to go. One of the biggest downsides to SPD-SL for me is that with the slightest bit of sand / mud / dirt / grit, they jam up and become really ****** to clip/unclip.
Old 06-12-21, 02:04 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
I'll probably break it out again for select events featuring lots of crapon fibber riders, just so we can savor such moments, but for riding with the usual suspects, I'm goin' legit. I noticed when we did our own Champoeg ride back in April, that things were somewhat *ahem* uncomfortable down below after about 40 miles. Cotton and seams and whatnot.

But wait! Who is this imposter "Johnny Ace?" Signed up 11-16-11, and has never posted anything? I am the REAL johnnyace!
Damn, I thumbed that reply on my phone, I know better! Bad eyes and fat thumbs are no way to go through life posting on the internet...

Last edited by gugie; 06-13-21 at 08:51 AM.
Old 06-12-21, 07:38 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Originally Posted by gugie
Damn, I thumbed that reply on my phone, I know better! Bad eyes and fat thumbs are now way to go through life posting on the internet...
I do almost no web browsing on my phone, it's just too damn small for me. I'm definitely of the "desktop computer" generation.
Old 06-13-21, 12:22 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Riding Kit

My favorite shoes - "Stackys" - 1970's appropriate kit!

Stylish shoes from SIDI for the ladies in the crowd.

Back in 2003 I had a right side total hip replacement. It was wonderful to be able to walk again but they reassembled me with my right foot pointing out at 15°....

The solution has been to use a pedal extender on the right side. That along with extra wide MTB pedals and the right toe clip modified to sit all the way to the edge of the pedal. No cleats or clipless in case I need to get out of them in a hurry!!!

I wear size 10.5 EEE shoes (45 XW). A few years back, I found these Shimano SH CT41 shoes. Unfortunately they're discontinued. In almost 50 years of riding with toe clips these are the most comfortable cycling shoes I've ever worn!!!

They have a removable hard plastic cover over the SPD mounting area.

As far as other accoutrements, I like Kucharik Lycra 8 panel shorts for anything over a few miles. Also I wear gaudy riding jerseys for visibility plus the convenience of the rear pockets.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Likes For verktyg:
Old 06-13-21, 11:41 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

The new cycling shoe, to be worn with clips and straps...

Old 06-13-21, 11:59 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
Sometimes it’s nice to just jump on a bike and go for a ride without having to “gear up” for it. Really, for a ride under 20 miles does it really matter!
Tim
Likes For tkamd73:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.