Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Lubricating Veloce levers

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 07-21-21, 03:47 PM
oldschoolbike

Bikes: 1974 PX-10E sold, 1977 Witcomb stolen, 1980 Roberts 1 speed, 1987 Cyclops 3 x 6 friction triple crank, 2010 Masi Commuter 1 speed, 2017 Ribble 525 2 x 10 with Ergos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts

I would like to lubricate my 2015 Campagnolo Veloce 10-speed ergo levers. I prefer a surgical approach over just shooting then up with spray grease. Do I need to remove them from the bars to get in from the back, or will it do to pull off the hoods and go in with a blunt hypodermic from the bottoms and through the side button apertures? Thanks!
Old 07-21-21, 03:54 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by oldschoolbike
I would like to lubricate my 2015 Campagnolo Veloce 10-speed ergo levers. I prefer a surgical approach over just shooting then up with spray grease. Do I need to remove them from the bars to get in from the back, or will it do to pull off the hoods and go in with a blunt hypodermic from the bottoms and through the side button apertures? Thanks!
Strictly speaking the shifters should be disassembled and the moving parts lightly greased, but that's a significant job. What are they doing that you think they need greasing? I've run my Chorus 10 shifters for >10 years between any sort of maintenance, and they were fine.
Old 07-21-21, 04:40 PM
oldschoolbike

Bikes: 1974 PX-10E sold, 1977 Witcomb stolen, 1980 Roberts 1 speed, 1987 Cyclops 3 x 6 friction triple crank, 2010 Masi Commuter 1 speed, 2017 Ribble 525 2 x 10 with Ergos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
Maybe they are fine, it's hard to know for sure since any degradation would have been slow and over 5 seasons, and it's my only indexed bike so nothing to compare to. That's why I prefer a minimal approach. The sloppy shifting on my last ride will probably turn out to be the bottom bracket cable guide getting gunked up. It almost always does.

If I can't make them do something wrong on the stand, should I just leave them alone? Are they that well lubed at the factory?
Old 07-21-21, 07:44 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by oldschoolbike
Maybe they are fine, it's hard to know for sure since any degradation would have been slow and over 5 seasons, and it's my only indexed bike so nothing to compare to. That's why I prefer a minimal approach. The sloppy shifting on my last ride will probably turn out to be the bottom bracket cable guide getting gunked up. It almost always does.

If I can't make them do something wrong on the stand, should I just leave them alone? Are they that well lubed at the factory?
deteriorating shifting can sneak up on you indeed. I had a pair of shifters on the go for 16 years before I sent them in for an overhaul, mainly because I thought they were probably due some TLC rather than for any specific problem. I couldn’t believe how good they were when they came back (in other words, how bad they had gradually become over the years). Still, unless they’ve spent a lot of time in crappy conditions, Campag shifters should be good for more than 6 years. Unless there’s something specific wrong with the shifters, IME 90% of shifting problems are cable-related. After I do anything to the drivetrain, I put it through its paces on the stand. In general, if it behaves on the stand, it’s good to go on the road.
Old 07-21-21, 09:36 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
I have no experience with Veloce 10 speed other than looking into a right brake/shifter that came on a trainer. What I recall is the internals are very different than the rebuildable Chorus and Record 10s I have and appeared to me to be un-rebuildable. Hopefully someone can correct my impression but at this time to me on this basis I suspect your desirable surgical approach will not be possible. Best of luck.