Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Vintage Spoke Head not Flush

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-20, 07:13 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1296 Post(s)
Liked 939 Times in 490 Posts

I recently had a vintage wheel built, and have encountered four (4) spokes breaking within 6 weeks on gentle terrain at moderate pace. (I am finally, seriously considering building my own). I was examining the installed spoke heads, today, and noticed that a few of the heads were not flush with the inside of the hub flange (they were slightly tipped). I don't think I could take a photo that would capture this, but I guess my best question, at this time, is: Do I need to re-build this wheel? 27" 40H Super Champion Modele 58 rim , British Hub Company Eureka short-flange hub, Robergel Trois Etoiles 15g spokes 308mm,
Old 11-09-20, 10:03 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Usually proper tension beds the spokes in the hub flange.
Old 11-09-20, 10:23 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26400 Post(s)
Liked 10,373 Times in 7,202 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad
Usually proper tension beds the spokes in the hub flange.
....and the momentary overstresses induced by properly stress relieving at the end of the build.
OP, you would probably be within your rights as a consumer to question the person who provided you this service.

At the very least, take a good look at the spoke line on your wheel for flange support at the spoke ends, and tensions.

If you haven't ridden the wheel all that far, replacing the broken spokes, and retensioning the whole wheel after correcting any deficiencies with flange support, then destressing the final product, would be more reasonable than entirely rebuilding the wheel. The remaining spokes are probably fine, just maybe not carefully assembled.

If you plan on doing much of this olde bike thing, learning enough to properly build your own wheels is a worthwhile endeavor.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 11-09-20, 10:43 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
I don’t think J bend spoke head’s beveled rivet is meant to sit entirely flush to the spoke hole anyway. So you might be OK. Could you post a photo?
Old 11-09-20, 02:27 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1296 Post(s)
Liked 939 Times in 490 Posts
Thanks for the helpful comments and suggestions, masi61, 3alarmer and davidad.
Here are a couple of photos. I was thinking about what 3alarmer said about "flange support".
It seems to me that the j-bends arc away from the flange in these photos. Should they be more flush?

Old 11-09-20, 04:23 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Yes they should. Sort of. Modern spokes are made for thicker aluminum hubs so you need spoke washers, thin brass rings. Both Sapim as well as DT Swiss sell them. About two per spoke should work.

I've put them on my rando build for decorative reasons but you get the idea:

Off-topic: Wheel Building: A Little Washer Can Make a Big Difference by John Neugent

Last edited by JaccoW; 11-09-20 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-09-20, 06:09 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26400 Post(s)
Liked 10,373 Times in 7,202 Posts
...the interior exiting spokes can be a little bit more difficult to bend over against the flange, but I use an old alloy non drive crank arm as a pry to destress the spokes and it also serves to bend the interior exiting spokes more toward the flange where they need the support. It's hard to describe nin words, but I wrap the crank arm in duct tape where it contacts the spokes when inserted on one side going up and out on the upper pair of spokes at that space, and down and in on the lower ones. Both of these spoke pairs are on the same side of the wheel. Then press on the outward end at the top, with the lower end pushing outward on the interior spoke of that lower spoke pair. That usually does it on my wheels.

The top end is the knob where the crank spindle would insert, in normal use. You can also use a piece of wood, of similar length and thickness. Just don't use anything made of something that will scratch the spoke surface.

I haven't built a wheel on a two piece hub like that, with the alloy flanges added onto a steel body for quite some time now, but IIRC, they were roughly similar to a modern alloy hub in flange thickness. Measure one against a standard modern hub just to be certain. It is true that on an older hub with steel flanges, like a SA three speed hub, the flange width can be problematic if you don't use washers. But having said that, I have built SA 3sped wheels without washers and they seem to hold up OK. They certainly did not use them at the factory.

Mostly, you're trying to get the spokes pretty tight, in hopes that the tension will contribute to an acceptable line. And to relieve the stresses built into the J bend at the time of manufacture.
Old 11-11-20, 04:32 PM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
You're using 7.0mm spoke elbows on thin steel flanges.

You'll need to use 1-2 spoke head washers on each when lacing up the wheel.

Then make sure you properly stress relieve the wheels when building 'em.

=8-|

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life