Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage > Classic and Vintage Sales
Reload this Page >

WTB Huret Jubilee front derailleur

Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

Old 04-23-21, 01:57 PM
75lechamp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane LeChampion (silver lilac), 1974 Motobecane Grand Jubile (red/black); 1975 Motobecane Team Champion (orange); 1982 Pinarello Professional (Exorcist Green); 1974 Raleigh Professional MkIV mink blue, 1974 Motobecane Grand Record blk/red

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 748 Times in 172 Posts

Hi folks, looking for a front Huret Jubilee derailleur for my Grand Jubile. I have the rear, the levers, and the special cable guide now, just looking for the front. Let me know if you have such a thing...

Thanks,

Andy
Old 06-29-21, 05:31 PM
75lechamp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane LeChampion (silver lilac), 1974 Motobecane Grand Jubile (red/black); 1975 Motobecane Team Champion (orange); 1982 Pinarello Professional (Exorcist Green); 1974 Raleigh Professional MkIV mink blue, 1974 Motobecane Grand Record blk/red

Never mind, found one!
Likes For 75lechamp:
Old 07-01-21, 02:48 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 653 Posts
Jubilee FD - 2 Size Clampa

Originally Posted by 75lechamp
Hi folks, looking for a front Huret Jubilee derailleur for my Grand Jubile. I have the rear, the levers, and the special cable guide now, just looking for the front. Let me know if you have such a thing...
Andy
Huret Jubilee Front Derailleurs were made with 2 different diameter clamps:

Ref. 500 28mm diameter for metric seat tubes

Ref. 530 28.6mm (1 1/8") diameter for inch size tubing.

Your Moto Grand Jubile has metric tubing.

If the Jubilee FD that you are getting is inch size, I suggest that you shim it to fit the 28mm seat tube.

The clamps are very fragile!!!

Don't even think of trying to use a metric Jubilee FD on an inch size frame. The sound of breakage is sickening!

First and only sad experience goes back to 1973!

Back then, Todson Inc. the US Huret importer wasn't even aware of the difference!

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Likes For verktyg:
Old 07-01-21, 05:50 AM
75lechamp 

Understood! How do I know? Having owned a few Grand Jubilee over the past 50ish years, I have not once, but twice snapped a Jubilee! And you're right, the sound is sickening.....
Old 07-01-21, 06:35 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg

Don't even think of trying to use a metric Jubilee FD on an inch size frame. The sound of breakage is sickening!

Trek spec'ed the Jubilee front for the 720 touring bike. After a couple dozen snapped on the assembly line, it was changed to a Simplex front derailleur.
Old 07-01-21, 03:11 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 653 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson

Originally Posted by verktyg View Post

Trek spec'ed the Jubilee front for the 720 touring bike. After a couple dozen snapped on the assembly line, it was changed to a Simplex front derailleur.
In the 70's we sold mostly French bikes in the entry level to mid price range - Gitane, Bertin and others. Nearby was another good shop that was a Raleigh & Peugeot dealer. We had an unspoken agreement with them - we didn't work on their bikes and they didn't work on our brands.

In 1973 Raleigh introduced the Competition MK II with Huret Jubilee derailleurs. These were the first Jubilees that we'd seen and we were nonplused to say the least because of the reputation of Allvit and Svelto models.

Catalog photo courtesy of Kurt at the Headbadge https://www.kurtkaminer.com

At the beginning of 1974 one of the Raleigh/Peugeot dealer's customers had a new Competition with a broken Jubilee FD. They sent them over to us because they didn't have a source for Huret stuff. I ordered a replacement FD from Todson, Inc. the Huret importer. It took about 2 weeks to arrive via snail mail back then.

Never had any problems installing Simplex, Suntour or Campy FDs on metric or inch size seat tubes. Unbeknownst that the new FD was a metric only model, when I installed it the clamp snapped as soon as I started to tighten it.

After an expensive 20 minutes on the phone with Todson (back then long distance was expensive), they relented and finally sent the proper sized FD gratis. That was another 2 weeks. The poor owner was without their bike for over a month! But, they were adamant that they wanted the correct FD so...

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 07-01-21 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-05-21, 11:29 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 269 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg
Huret Jubilee Front Derailleurs were made with 2 different diameter clamps:

Ref. 500 28mm diameter for metric seat tubes

Ref. 530 28.6mm (1 1/8") diameter for inch size tubing.

Your Moto Grand Jubile has metric tubing.

If the Jubilee FD that you are getting is inch size, I suggest that you shim it to fit the 28mm seat tube.
I don't mean to hijack this thread (looks like OP found what he was looking for, anyway), but it looks like I may be dealing with a 28.6mm Huret Jubilee on my 28mm Gitane TdF. Noticed this morning that there has been slippage down the down tube:

BEFORE: as purchased

AFTER: as found this morning

So it seems it's too big, as it's fully tightened. I will need to either shim it, or find a proper metric Jubilee FD. Then again, I have a couple of very nice Suntour Cyclone FDs around, may check those for fit. Although I hate to break up a nice Jubilee drive train.
Old 07-05-21, 12:16 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyace
I don't mean to hijack this thread (looks like OP found what he was looking for, anyway), but it looks like I may be dealing with a 28.6mm Huret Jubilee on my 28mm Gitane TdF. Noticed this morning that there has been slippage down the down tube:

snip . . .

So it seems it's too big, as it's fully tightened. I will need to either shim it, or find a proper metric Jubilee FD. Then again, I have a couple of very nice Suntour Cyclone FDs around, may check those for fit. Although I hate to break up a nice Jubilee drive train.
I'd try some plasti dip on the inside of the clamp:

https://www.tapplastics.com/product/..._dip_spray/592
Old 07-05-21, 02:07 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 269 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
I'd try some plasti dip on the inside of the clamp:

https://www.tapplastics.com/product/..._dip_spray/592
Thanks. It turns out, I was wrong, it was not fully tightened (seems to be a theme on this bike). Tightened down fine and is now not slipping. What I wonder, though, is how does one distinguish a 28mm from a 28.6mm clamp? I couldn't find a size or part number anywhere, thought maybe it would be on the inside of the clamp, but no. The French seem universally horrible at indicating these details, unlike the Japanese.