Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

C-Record vs. Record

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-12, 07:06 PM
ponyyyyyyy

Bikes: building new for the track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C-Record vs. Record

I've been looking at a new crank set and been pondering about older campy c-record cranks vs newer record cranks. The only differences are the logos that are printed on the arms (the old campy logo on the c-record and new record logo on the new record) and the switch from 135bcd to the more common 144bcd. I'm just not sure there is much of a difference, maybe weight? design? though both require the same 111mm asymmetrical BB I believe.

Now compare those to the Dura Ace Track 7710 cranks, with similar arm design but priority octalink BB. How would any of you compare these to each other? Pros cons? Sorry if this topic or question has been beaten up. Thanks.
Old 03-13-12, 07:48 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Between the c-record and record, I would go with the 144bcd version. More common these days around the track scene so theoretically easier to swap gear and more on the second hand market.

As for Campy vs DA, from what I have read/seen on my BB/crankset journey, for some reason campy seems to be becoming more synonymous with the fixie/SS crowd. Not that they're a bad crankset, and just as good as many others out there, they just seem to be out of favour. As for which one, unless you're a very finnicky sprinter, I doubt you'd notice any difference between those two, or any of the other options in that quality bracket. Go for whichever one you prefer the looks of, and whichever one you prefer the cost of.
Old 03-13-12, 08:30 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Is this for a street bike or a training/race bike?
Old 03-13-12, 08:43 PM
sideshow_bob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One thing to consider. New Campy seems available in 165+170mm length and that's it. DA is available in a wider range of lengths up to I believe 175mm - Though I'd be super happy if they released a 180mm version.
Old 03-13-12, 11:03 PM
ponyyyyyyy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@carleton

this is on the track. it's going to be my second season on the track, hopefully start racing. I have been more favored towards the sprints and shorter races vs endurance, but I couldn't tell you what I wanted to race yet.. however, not a total beginner, as I've been riding road for a while.

I don't mind the 144 vs 135 as much as wanting to know if that's actually the only difference between an early 90s c-record crank set vs a modern 2011 record crank set.. surely there must be a distinctive difference other than its BCD. I'm only pressing on about the matter because I do often see c-record cranks for a bit less than current record cranks, but it's not always just about the price.. right.
Old 03-13-12, 11:27 PM
ponyyyyyyy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well I am currently riding 170mm, have always on the road too, unless people often shift between road length and track length..
Old 03-14-12, 09:10 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by ponyyyyyyy
@carleton

this is on the track. it's going to be my second season on the track, hopefully start racing. I have been more favored towards the sprints and shorter races vs endurance, but I couldn't tell you what I wanted to race yet.. however, not a total beginner, as I've been riding road for a while.

I don't mind the 144 vs 135 as much as wanting to know if that's actually the only difference between an early 90s c-record crank set vs a modern 2011 record crank set.. surely there must be a distinctive difference other than its BCD. I'm only pressing on about the matter because I do often see c-record cranks for a bit less than current record cranks, but it's not always just about the price.. right.
144 BCD is enough of a difference to warrant using that. 144BCD 1/8" is the track standard. Just go with that.

Dura Ace 7710 is a stiffer crankset. Don't worry about the proprietary Octalink BB. Do you really need BB choices? You'll buy one BB and be done with it. If you need choices, choose between 105, Ultegra, and the TWO Dura Ace Octalink BBs

Originally Posted by ponyyyyyyy
well I am currently riding 170mm, have always on the road too, unless people often shift between road length and track length..
It's a personal preference. I keep my crank lengths the same because I don't ride/race on hills on the road. Generally people use longer cranks on the road because hills are tough using short crank arms. It's really up to you. I've even heard of pros changing cranks lengths depending on the track event (Points Race, Pursuit) in the same day or road event (TT, Road, Mountain stage). Whatever floats your boat.
Old 03-14-12, 10:00 PM
ponyyyyyyy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fair judgement about the other BBs for the Dura Ace. I'll have to try a 170 dura ace, hear nothing but solid statements about it. Thanks guys!