Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wireless earbuds while riding?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Wireless earbuds while riding?

Old 11-25-19, 12:32 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts
I assume those of you who feel it's vital to be aware of a vehicle approaching from the rear at the earliest possible moment all also ride with a Garmin Varia radar as well as a mirror. The Varia picks up vehicles before there are heard most of the time and also indicates when approaching at a high rate of speed.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 11-25-19, 12:39 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by blackbomber
I use earbuds for turn by turn navigation.
Pretty good point. In a society where a rider is considered at fault if not wearing a helmet, I imagine this would be damning evidence against him or her.

"The defence said Mr Lowndes was wearing headphones and dark clothing and was riding towards the middle of the lane, almost one-point five metres from the fog line."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-...clist/11605292
Old 11-25-19, 01:20 PM
Bikesax

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've learned to tell pretty well how close a vehicle coming up behind me will pass by sound. I know when I can ride in a straight line, and when I need to hug the curb because the vehicle is going to brush my left leg.
Also, when looking over my left shoulder to see if I'm clear to turn left, I rely on my ears before I ever look. I tend to veer left when I look over my shoulder, and if I hear a vehicle close, I'll wait til it passes before doing so.
Old 11-25-19, 01:47 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts
Originally Posted by Succhia Ruota
when I hear a car approaching, I glance over my shoulder to make sure the car isn’t going to hit me. Although, I guess one could argue that if you’re in the crosshairs of an errant driver, it may be better not to know?
So, if the car is going to hit you, where do you go? I guess you could try to hop the curb.

By the time I knew the car was going to hit me, at the speed they're closing on me, I wouldn't have time to jump the curb. I guess I could proactively jump the curb for every close pass, but that would be a lot of wheel repairs and since I've never been hit, they would have all been for naught.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 11-25-19, 01:49 PM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by Succhia Ruota
also, what’s the logic if something appears in your path, and you can’t just “ride in a straight line?”
If something appears in my path I either stop, or swerve to the right.
Old 11-25-19, 02:37 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Chi_Z
"The defence said Mr Lowndes was wearing headphones and dark clothing and was riding towards the middle of the lane, almost one-point five metres from the fog line."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-...clist/11605292
And?
Old 11-25-19, 03:20 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
And?
the driver's excuse was because the guy was wearing a headphone, unaware of the traffic behind him, and therefore stayed on the middle of the lane. Imagine if he was not wearing a headphone, what could the driver possibly claim then? But in the end, it is your own life on the line, do whatever you want with it.

Last edited by Chi_Z; 11-25-19 at 03:23 PM.
Old 11-25-19, 03:40 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Chi_Z
the driver's excuse was because the guy was wearing a headphone, unaware of the traffic behind him, and therefore stayed on the middle of the lane. Imagine if he was not wearing a headphone, what could the driver possibly claim then? But in the end, it is your own life on the line, do whatever you want with it.
Oh, so based on that defense, the driver was found not guilty?
Old 11-25-19, 05:05 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by Dreww10
Does anyone use a single wireless earbud while riding, and if you do, how is the microphone performance? I often make business/personal calls while out on solo rides, and my wired buds place the microphone down near my mouth, which concentrates the audio-in largely to my voice, save for situations where the wind is really strong. Since wireless buds have to pick up my voice at the ear, I'm concerned that wind, cars, etc. are going to drown out my voice. Curious to hear you opinions.
I use my airpods now and then (on closed roads under adult supervision, and only on sunday mornings when the drunks are asleep and the oldies are at church, of course) and usually have to slow down to get Siri to understand me.
Old 11-25-19, 05:05 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I'm back... miss me?

I guess some of you ride only bike paths or rural roads. On Long Island I have to ride through business districts where there are parked cars on the right and a single or double lane roads.I tend to ride far enough from the parked cars so I don't have a door open in front of me. But i need to hear cars coming up behind because many will pass me. Many are going over the 25 or 30mph speed limit, many pass with cars coming from the opposite direction squeezing me to the parked cars. I've had my left arm hit by car mirrors over a dozen time because there was no room for me to move to the right. New York State law dictates a 3' distance for passing, but many roads don't allow it due to tight lanes and parked cars. There's been a few times i've had to stop because I can HEAR a car approaching and know there's not enough room for me.

I value my safety, i'm sure you do also. Everyone needs to evaluate their own risk.
Old 11-25-19, 05:37 PM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by GlennR
I value my safety, i'm sure you do also. Everyone needs to evaluate their own risk.
Exactly. But when you make the blanket statement that people who ride with ear buds don’t care about safety you’re evaluating their risk for them.

I wouldn’t personally accept the risk of riding in your area. What you describe doesn’t sound safe to me. I’ll stop short of telling you that you don’t care about safety.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 11-25-19, 05:44 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by MattTheHat
Exactly. But when you make the blanket statement that people who ride with ear buds don’t care about safety you’re evaluating their risk for them.

I wouldn’t personally accept the risk of riding in your area. What you describe doesn’t sound safe to me. I’ll stop short of telling you that you don’t care about safety.
So what about the people in my area that do? What if i'm driving in a commercial district, getting ready to pass a cyclist wearing earbuds and suddenly the door of a parked car opens and the cyclist swerves left and I hit them.

I'm sure i'll be blamed. Their risk is now my problem. Same goes for people opting not to wear a helmet.
Old 11-25-19, 06:22 PM
WhyFi

So what about the people in my area that do? What if i'm driving in a commercial district, getting ready to pass a cyclist wearing earbuds and suddenly the door of a parked car opens and the cyclist swerves left and I hit them.

​​​​​​
I'm sure i'll be blamed. Their risk is now my problem. Same goes for people opting not to wear a helmet.
A) How the world would ear buds affect a potential dooring? That's ridiculous.

B) You're close enough that you should be familiar with the girl in Brooklyn that got doored in to a bus a handful of years back. If you're familiar with that, you'd know that the person opening the door is the liable party.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 11-25-19, 06:26 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by WhyFi
A) How the world would ear buds affect a potential dooring? That's ridiculous.

B) You're close enough that you should be familiar with the girl in Brooklyn that got doored in to a bus a handful of years back. If you're familiar with that, you'd know that the person opening the door is the liable party.
It won't bit it would let you know if its save to swerve left or if you hear a car you try to stop before hitting the door.
Old 11-25-19, 07:01 PM
WhyFi

It won't bit it would let you know if its save to swerve left or if you hear a car you try to stop before hitting the door.
Dude. You're reaching. A lot. First and foremost, the notion that a non-ear-budded cyclist knows that it's safe to swerve based on audible cues alone is ridiculous. Beyond that, if a cyclist has enough time to consider their action, then you, the trailing driver, have enough time, too. If they don't have the time because they're in the face of an immediate dooring, the cyclist is going to swerve, regardless - instant reaction. Hazard avoidance is why most states have 3' passing laws; if their swerve were to send them in to you, then you weren't passing safely (and the person opening the door is at fault, too).
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 11-25-19, 07:14 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

It try to constantly have situational awareness.

And i'm sure as i'm laying there waiting for the ambulance i'll feel better knowing its the other 2 people's fault.

I guess you don't ride in with the same level of traffic as I do and have cat like reflexes and dog like hearing. I'm just a old man that knows it takes longer to heal than it used to 30 years ago.

/rant
Old 11-25-19, 07:25 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
If you're concerned about being noticed, use the bell you're legally required to have. It carries vastly better than your voice and is a much better tool to make people aware of your presence.

And slow down when overtaking, especially don't buzz pedestrians.

The Knog Oi works great, and is reasonably aero if you care.

Last edited by sfrider; 11-25-19 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-25-19, 07:47 PM
Athens80

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
It try to constantly have situational awareness.
How much more awareness do you get from listening than you do from seeing behind you via your mirror?
Likes For Athens80:
Old 11-25-19, 07:50 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
@GlennR, are you sure we have a 3' passing law in NY? That would be very new to me. I don't think it was even in discussion recently.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-25-19, 08:01 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by noglider
@GlennR, are you sure we have a 3' passing law in NY? That would be very new to me. I don't think it was even in discussion recently.
You're right.... i'm wrong.
https://nybc.net/en/education/bike-l...tate-bike-laws
"VTL 1122 – The operator of a vehicle overtaking, from behind, a bicycle proceeding on the same side of a roadway shall pass to the left of such bicycle at a safe distance until safely clear thereof."
Old 11-25-19, 08:10 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by sfrider
If you're concerned about being noticed, use the bell you're legally required to have. It carries vastly better than your voice and is a much better tool to make people aware of your presence.

And slow down when overtaking, especially don't buzz pedestrians.

The Knog Oi works great, and is reasonably aero if you care.
a bell is legally required on all bicycles?
Old 11-25-19, 08:50 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

2 is illegal, but 1 is OK

https://nybc.net/en/education/bike-l...ke-laws#fixies
"VTL 375 24-a – Use of earphones while driving or riding a bicycle – It shall be unlawful to operate upon any public highway in this state a motor vehicle, limited use automobile, limited use motorcycle or bicycle while the operator is wearing more than one earphone attached to a radio, tape player or other audio device."

"(b) No person shall operate a bicycle unless it is equipped with a bell or other device capable of giving a signal audible for a distance of at least one hundred feet"

Guess I should get a bell.. or just be a outlaw.

Last edited by GlennR; 11-25-19 at 08:56 PM.
Old 11-25-19, 09:50 PM
WhyFi

I guess you don't ride in with the same level of traffic as I do and have cat like reflexes and dog like hearing.
I lived in Brooklyn and commuted to Manhattan; I think that I have a handle on riding with traffic. Reflexes aren't too shabby and the hearing's great. More to the point (that keeps going over your head), the usefulness of hearing is often limited, which is one of the reasons that I have radar, but I guess that you don't ride in the same level of wind noise as I do.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 11-25-19, 10:42 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts
I'm back... miss me?

I guess some of you ride only bike paths or rural roads. On Long Island I have to ride through business districts where there are parked cars on the right and a single or double lane roads.I tend to ride far enough from the parked cars so I don't have a door open in front of me. But i need to hear cars coming up behind because many will pass me. Many are going over the 25 or 30mph speed limit, many pass with cars coming from the opposite direction squeezing me to the parked cars. I've had my left arm hit by car mirrors over a dozen time because there was no room for me to move to the right. New York State law dictates a 3' distance for passing, but many roads don't allow it due to tight lanes and parked cars. There's been a few times i've had to stop because I can HEAR a car approaching and know there's not enough room for me.

What you describe is one step, short of Mad Max. Having been clipped by cars over a dozen times, the least of your issues should be if another cyclist is riding with earbuds. I would strongly recommend change where you ride or change hobbies because a serious incident is immanent. If you feel your excellent hearing and spacial awareness is what is keeping you safe it's only a matter of time. Q
Old 11-26-19, 12:07 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
I don't wear ear buds when I ride, but I don't mind if anyone else does.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.