Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Deciding between Aventon Pace 500 and Blix Aveny

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-21, 08:28 PM
badger_biker 

Bikes: 10 vintage touring machines

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 66 Posts

I'm new to ebikes and am trying to find a lower price model for my wife to join me on rides with my touring bike mostly on trails. She wants a throttle and two good values I've found are the Aventon Pace 500 and the Blix Aveny step through models. Here is my criteria: Relatively light and good range. The Blix pros are fenders, rack and lights for only about 5 lbs more in weight, QR front wheel and I think (can anyone verify) the electric components can be disconnected for individual replacement rather than one unit. The Aventon seems to have a better range and is carried by shops local to me.

I would appreciate anyone with knowledge of either to give me some insight on their experience with the bike and your pros and cons. Fenders aren't a deal breaker but I would want some type of rack so any guidance on racks that work well front or rear the Pace would be helpful as well as fenders. Also what have you done for a bottle holder for either bike.

Also please chime in if there are other brands I'm missing in the $1,000 - 2,000 price range. My wife is 5' 1" so a smaller frame is a must. - Thanks
Old 03-06-21, 10:58 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 617 Posts
Check electricbikereview, forums, brand discussions for some information. Also, the site reviews bike, but since they charge for the "service" AFAIK, read carefully IMO. SKS, German products, have very innovative ways of attaching water bottles. The $1,000 - $2,000 area has a plethora of bikes, some very lightweight and "bike-like".

Last edited by 2old; 03-06-21 at 11:16 PM.
Old 03-06-21, 11:31 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 2,661 Posts
I would spend a touch more and get something with a Bosch, Brose or Shimano STePS mid-drive. You would be getting a e-bike in that case rather than a not so good moped. Class two "e-bikes" (mopeds) are generally not allowed on trails anyway) Plus a quality mid-drive with torque is going to be easier to get up hills than many of these throttled machines.

Gazelle Medeo T9 gets you a low step or high step in 3 sizes, a lower end but ok for occasional riding 9 speed drivetrain, Shimano hydraulic disc brakes (cable brakes and e-bikes don't do well together), lights front and rear, fenders, rear rack and a frame/café lock that is keyed alike to the battery. Plus they have great support (and 10 year warranty on their frames) and are using the Bosch drive unit which has excellent support as well. Bosch is also nice because more shops will likely be willing to work on it whereas a lot of the kit bikes and the online stuff with random hub drives and similar stuff they don't want to touch.

I remember when Blix came by to show off their products, we were not super impressed we all rode them at the shop. They had hyped up the product as one would do when trying to sell it but riding it was clear not a good product from our riding. The British Racing Green color I did like though but I like that color in general sadly the bike didn't match the color.
Old 03-08-21, 02:40 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Class 2 ebikes are NOT mopeds. Mopeds are mopeds. Class 2 ebikes are throttle control e-assist and limited to 20mph just like Class 1 (pedelec) bikes. That does not make Class 2 ebikes mopeds.) Class 3 ebikes (28mph) may, or may not (probably not), be allowed on trails and are not allowed in bike lanes, but as there is zero visible difference between a Class1,2 or 3 ebike, the distinctions are moot. How you ride it will determine how you are treated by law enforcement. A mid-drive is not a trivial amount more than a hub motor bike if done right. An Aventon Pace is a well reviewed example of e-bike value. They were on my short list. The o.p. could do much worse. I've seen a Blix in person and the owner was very happy with it but it was the folding bike model. It looked well made. I'm biased towards standard ergos (no step through, no 20" wheels) but I have enough experience to know what I want. The o.p. should deffo involve their s.o. in the shopping and choice making.

Last edited by Leisesturm; 03-08-21 at 02:46 AM.
Old 03-08-21, 10:13 AM
2old

The literature I've read (Bosch discussion) states that WI has adopted the "Class" system referenced above. Therefore, by state law, Class 1 (basically 20 mph, PAS bikes) and Class 2 ( basically 20 mph throttle bikes) are defined as bicycles and permitted on bike paths unless specifically prohibited and Class 3 (basically 28 mph PAS bikes) are defined as bicycles and permitted on lanes contiguous with a road. It's a little murkier for riding on off road trails, but some areas allow Class 1 bikes on them.
Old 03-08-21, 09:09 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Class 2 ebikes are NOT mopeds. Mopeds are mopeds. Class 2 ebikes are throttle control e-assist and limited to 20mph just like Class 1 (pedelec) bikes. That does not make Class 2 ebikes mopeds.) Class 3 ebikes (28mph) may, or may not (probably not), be allowed on trails and are not allowed in bike lanes, but as there is zero visible difference between a Class1,2 or 3 ebike, the distinctions are moot. How you ride it will determine how you are treated by law enforcement. A mid-drive is not a trivial amount more than a hub motor bike if done right. An Aventon Pace is a well reviewed example of e-bike value. They were on my short list. The o.p. could do much worse. I've seen a Blix in person and the owner was very happy with it but it was the folding bike model. It looked well made. I'm biased towards standard ergos (no step through, no 20" wheels) but I have enough experience to know what I want. The o.p. should deffo involve their s.o. in the shopping and choice making.
Well call it what you will but a throttle does not a bicycle make. I love e-bikes but a throttle makes it no longer a bike and turns it into basically a moped and while that moped might be closer to a bike than a scooter it is still not a pedaled bike.

Keep in mind when I am talking moped I am talking older school mopeds that had pedals except these are electric so much cleaner. Some people are using them now to refer to scooters without any other propulsion aside from a motor.

Class 1, 2 and 3 are very distinct classes. Class one is pedal assist up to 20mph, Class two is up to 20mph with a throttle and Class three is up to 28mph pedal assist. Visually someone not pedaling a bike but going 20mph (or sometimes more if they have illegally modified it and are riding on public roads) is pretty distinct from someone actually pedaling.

I do agree your riding style will have a big effect but to say that a class 2 throttled bike is no different than a pedal powered bike is just silly.

The big reason a lot of people hate e-bikes is because they see class 2 bikes being throttled on bike paths and trails and conflate those with actual e-bikes you have to pedal. Throttles have no place on pedestrian paths if you are providing the movement (even with some assist) that is fine but if something else like a throttle is doing it than that has no place and should go to the street or private property.
Old 03-08-21, 11:20 PM
2old

Sorry, but, IMO, your comments defy the law in CA and about 25 other states. You're welcome to your opinion, but it's like saying the speed limit is 50 mph when the signs say 70.

Last edited by 2old; 03-09-21 at 09:13 AM.
Likes For 2old:
Old 03-09-21, 04:43 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
I've riden both. I'd go with the Blix Aveny. More features for the money, more accessories like baskets, racks, bags available. The Aveny is just more comfortable. The bike can be made a Class 3 through adjustments in the control panel. Whatever fits you better is the way to go. I bought an Aveny a few years ago. The bike continues to amaze me. I commute with it and enjoy the traditional dutch bike pragmatism. I'm very satisfied with Customer Service and have about 3000 miles on mine. The other thing is the throttle on the Blix can be used before you pedal, while the Aveny requires you to move the pedal first. The specs are about the same.

If you have a lot of hills go with a mid drive bike, if you ride mostly flats the hub drive will work well. I commute about 12 miles one way four times a week. I love my frame mounted front basket. I was using a rack bag, but now I use a large basket in the rear too. I also bought an extra battery so far so good. I have met Aventon Level owners, they always compliment the Blix Lights, brake light included. I like Aventon, just not for commuting. The Ranges are actually the same as they use similar batteries, display and motors. I would say the 500 has hydralic brakes would be the only advantage for the Aventon. After you learn about how to make adjustments to your brake all things equal out. Good luck. Personally, I like the Blix Sol, but no lights, racks, or fenders. My next bike will be either a Blix Sol, Packa Dual Battery, or Priority Current. Good luck.

Last edited by alloo; 03-09-21 at 04:48 AM.
Likes For alloo:
Old 03-09-21, 07:48 PM
badger_biker 

I appreciate the comments and suggestions. We went to try an Aventon Pace 350 today since no one has a 500 in stock. Good thing because my wife did not like the way the bike launches even in level 1. I tried it and tend to agree. I guess it is an aspect of hub vs mid drive that with a hub the assist seems on or off and doesn't allow you to pedal slow and go slow. We also tried a Specialized Como and an Izip Vibe EL 2.0 (both mid drives). The Vibe was a nicer fit for my wife to handle with the smaller 26" wheels but I'm not so sure about the components and need to research it more. The Specialized felt big for her even though it was the smallest frame and was above our expected price range. The mid drives were better at slow speeds and probably a better choice when in a more congested area on trails etc. Other than somehow slowing the torque or initial take off of a hub drive the only option I can see would be to just eliminate any assist when in those conditions.

I agree Blix has some very nice accessories and that is a big plus but I would guess the feel would be much the same as the Pace 350 regarding the fast starts.

I've bought, fixed, sold, rode and toured on bikes for 50 plus years but most of the technology was pre 2010 so these are all new to me. Any suggestions for good smaller mid drives in the $1500 to $2500 range would be appreciated.
Old 03-09-21, 11:00 PM
2old

You can reconfigure most mid-drives to your satisfaction. You might look at Bikes Direct for some mid's at the upper end of your price range. also, Haibike has some super small sized bikes if you have a local dealer. Of course Bafang has the 36V BBS01 that is an easy conversion if your wife has a bike she likes already.
Old 03-10-21, 12:00 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
I'd be very surprised if even the hub motors didn't have a way to control how the power hits. The dealer has set it up the way most people prefer. Usually you want a nice burst of power on launch to get you clear of the Escalade that wants to mash you into the asphalt. When I first got a car with cruise control it was very disconcerting how the power would hit. I avoided using it. Until my first NYC to FLA run. OMG, cruise control saved my life, and I learned to appreciate, or at least control acceleration that was different from what I usually get when I am in full control of the gas pedal. Given time so would the o.p.'s wife. For the last 20 years I've been car free and only drive rentals. Rentals are always current models with state of the art cruise control but I never have enough time with the car to learn them, they are all different. Even on a long trip, it just isn't worth the time it takes to become familiar. TL;DR: don't let 'test drive' conditions force a bad decision. Decent mid-drives are expensive. Ask the dealer to dial down the acceleration on future test rides of hub models, but also consider that maybe the default setting is the one that works for most people.
Old 03-11-21, 05:22 AM
alloo

My Aveny over the last few years.

Outside of work

Old 03-11-21, 08:01 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I'd be very surprised if even the hub motors didn't have a way to control how the power hits.
I have to agree. That is one very nice feature of Bafang units, the user can program the soft start characteristics. One can make the power ramp up or down faster or slower. They also allow the numbered assist levels to be varied, so "level 1" has less assist. Seems like the European brands don't trust users with this degree of control.

Maybe this is more than a casual rider wants to deal with, but once it is set you don't need to mess it again. See if the bike shop can adjust the launch characteristics for you. I downloaded a configuration file from a popular web site, I'm extremely happy with it.
Old 03-11-21, 10:33 PM
badger_biker 

Originally Posted by alloo
My Aveny over the last few years.
Very pretty! I love green bikes.
Old 03-14-21, 10:30 PM
badger_biker 

Following up on our search. I took veganbikes suggestion about Gazelle and happily found a couple of shops in the area that carry them. She tried the Medeo T10 and the Ultimate T10. Of course she liked the Ultimate better and we put money down to hold it for 30 days. It was way over our initial budget but if it gets her riding with me that will be worth it. Still plan to try one between those models soon but I’m guessing the Ultimate with the lower step through will win the battle. I was quite impressed with the build quality and components and a sweet ride with much more speed control.
Old 11-06-22, 08:57 PM
alloo

Have you thought about the Aventon Level 2 ebike?