Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Weird rules for the group ride

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-21, 09:32 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 1,352 Times in 938 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Right on! I'll be needing a new liver soon.
You might want to pick another donor.

https://www.bikeforums.net/22067636-post17.html
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 06-25-21, 09:38 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
The bike isn't the issue so much as the handler, I just am not good at cornering.
You might not be good at other things and that might be apparent even when you are not crashing.

Given this and your other threads, the term "sketchy" comes to mind.

Groups are not a "free for all". Your ability to follow the rules of the group is an indication of how well you'll cooperate and fit in.

Given your posting history, you are not in a good place to complain about other things being "weird".

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-25-21 at 09:43 AM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 06-25-21, 09:41 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
I'm all for defying convention but there's a line between being an iconoclast and being a dangerous menace to yourself, and more importantly, others.
Old 06-25-21, 09:47 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by chandne
the lycra stuff is fine with me but we have some areas (like boulder) where you do find these groups of snobbish and elitist cyclists. I have no interest in joining them or their rides, since i can't keep up. many are naturally dicks, as a few of my friends have discovered when trying to join up. It is best to let them wallow in those bubbles and not enter, roadies tend to be more that way than mountain bikers.

fify
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 06-25-21, 09:54 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
A true statement. The history (1890's and forward) of the impact the bicycle had on our country is pretty fascinating.
Huh, come to think of it I recently learned that bike racing peaked in popularity in the USA at the turn of the century, and we had the first and only black world champion back then (or something along those lines)
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 06-25-21, 09:59 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
fify
LOL I would not even know. Never joined them. You may be right.
Old 06-25-21, 10:01 AM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by njkayaker
You might not be good at other things and that might be apparent even when you are not crashing.

Given this and your other threads, the term "sketchy" comes to mind.

Groups are not a "free for all". Your ability to follow the rules of the group is an indication of how well you'll cooperate and fit in.

Given your posting history, you are not in a good place to complain about other things being "weird".
The only group ride that I have experience in is absolutely a free for all.
Old 06-25-21, 10:08 AM
njkayaker

The only group ride that I have experience in is absolutely a free for all.
That's not common. Those sorts of groups often have a reputation of being risky as well.

It shouldn't be too hard to imagine that not all groups want to be "free for alls".

You might want to be more cautious about drawing conclusions based on your limited experience.
Old 06-25-21, 10:14 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,562 Times in 1,790 Posts
Nah too many slow freds on that ride
The irony of "shirtless, helmet-less, hybrid-riding crash guy" calling Alto Velo group riders "Freds" was not missed. Well played!

Last edited by terrymorse; 06-25-21 at 10:26 AM.
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 06-25-21, 10:15 AM
ksryder

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Now I really want to know which club ride this was. Come on, spill it!

Also the irony of "shirtless, helmet-less, hybrid-riding crash guy" calling group riders "Freds" was not missed. Well played!
Well if I've learned anything from BF, "fred" = "anyone faster than me, riding a better bike than me, and/or wearing gear that is appropriate for cycling"
Likes For ksryder:
Old 06-25-21, 10:41 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by ksryder
Well if I've learned anything from BF, "fred" = "anyone faster than me, riding a better bike than me, and/or wearing gear that is appropriate for cycling"
Must be the "I'm not a Fred, YOU'RE a Fred" definition.

The classic definition: someone who wears clothes or rides equipment outside of the norm, and/or has poor handling skills. Chainring tattoo optional.

A subgroup are triathletes, with more strength than skill, known as "fast Freds".

Update: Bicycle lore suggests that "Fred" was named after Fred Birchmore, who rode around the world in 1934-35 on a bike named Bucephalus. While touring the world, Fred once passed a group of racers in Italy on a climb and crossed the finish line well ahead of the pack. I guess the racers didn't want to ride anywhere near that Fred.

Bucephalus is now part of the Smithsonian collection.

Here's a photo of Fred with Bucephalus:

Fred Birchmore with his bicycle "Bucephalus", a 1935 model made by the Otto Reinhardt Fahrrad-fabrik of Bielefeld, Germany

Last edited by terrymorse; 06-25-21 at 11:07 AM.
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 06-25-21, 10:42 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,886 Times in 6,090 Posts
I'm sure there is some snobby elitism going on, because it involves people, and that's what people do. But maybe a lot of what outsiders interpret as snobby elitism is self preservation based on experience? I mean, here in the Bay Area, we have a LOT of cyclists of every level up to and including world class professionals. If a fast group ride doesn't welcome you, maybe it's because they know that an inexperienced group rider in a fast pack can easily cause disaster. When I rode with one of the local clubs, I started out hanging at the back of their weekend group rides. They ran a double line with the two front riders pulling off at the same time and drifting back to the end. I did a number of rides, hanging back behind that group and letting the rotating riders pull in, before I felt confident enough of my group riding skills to try getting into the rotation. And once I was in it, I realized I had to constantly attentive not just to the wheel ahead of me, but the shoulders 5 riders ahead, and the rider beside me. It takes some effort and skill to maintain the distance with the rider ahead as the peloton goes up and down hills, speeds up, slows down, etc. I was never near or over the limits of the wattage I could put out, but it was still exhausting because of the concentration. Over time, it became second nature, but that was over months of riding with them about 80 miles every weekend. And as I got better and smoother I could sense riders around me growing more relaxed with my presence.

Is that elitist, to want to ride only with people whose skills you trust? I mean, if you show up for a group ride with everything about you screaming "I'm not one of you!", you shouldn't be surprised if the other riders receive that message loud and clear, and why would they trust your skills? Your outfit and demeanor shouts that you have something to prove, not that you want to join in.

Plus that whole shirtless thing? Geez, what an affectation! It's JUNE, dude. You're courting melanoma to make some kind of "statement".

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-25-21, 10:47 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
yeah on a flat bar hybrid without foot retention too. Won't show my face again because A) too embarrassed after crashing and B) apparently this is a no drop ride that discourages attacks unless its a hill. Im out here to be the fastest, not to have fun
I'm sorry. I hope you can get over that.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 06-25-21, 10:50 AM
ksryder

Is that the "I'm not a Fred, YOU'RE a Fred" usage?

The classic definition: someone who wears clothes or rides equipment outside of the norm, and/or has poor handling skills. Chainring tattoo optional.

A subgroup are triathletes, with more strength than skill, known as "fast Freds".
Yeah my "definition" was the "bikeforums consistently being wrong about everything bikes" mis-definition.

Meanwhile, despite my best efforts, every day I consistently am more and more decidedly in the MAMIL category. Worse, I stopped caring.
Likes For ksryder:
Old 06-25-21, 11:26 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by ksryder
Yeah my "definition" was the "bikeforums consistently being wrong about everything bikes" mis-definition.

Meanwhile, despite my best efforts, every day I consistently am more and more decidedly in the MAMIL category. Worse, I stopped caring.
Well, you can't really help the MAM part, and the IL just makes sense.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-25-21, 11:35 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Fwiw soccer folks use the word kit also. Guess you shouldn’t play kids or adult rec league soccer either.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 06-25-21, 11:44 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Fwiw soccer folks use the word kit also. Guess you shouldn’t play kids or adult rec league soccer either.
"Kit" has the advantage of being a single syllable that conveys the entire meaning. "Bibs and jersey" is 3 more syllables that doesn't convey any more meaning. If I say "A rider in (local club) kit", you know what I mean, even if you've never seen it. Objecting to the use of such a useful word is more elitist and snobby than using the word is, I think.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-25-21, 11:58 AM
ksryder

Originally Posted by genejockey
"Kit" has the advantage of being a single syllable that conveys the entire meaning. "Bibs and jersey" is 3 more syllables that doesn't convey any more meaning. If I say "A rider in (local club) kit", you know what I mean, even if you've never seen it. Objecting to the use of such a useful word is more elitist and snobby than using the word is, I think.
This is the correct answer. If the midwestern gravel dads I ride with call it a kit, I'm pretty sure it's not elitist or an affectation.
Old 06-25-21, 12:00 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
...I try to bring that working class energy to the table...
Since CalOSHA regs include the following I am not sure "working class" is the correct description:

(c) Employees (on foot) exposed to the hazard of vehicular traffic shall wear warning garments such as vests, jackets, or shirts manufactured in accordance with the requirements of the American National Standards Institute (ANSI)/International Safety Equipment Association (ISEA) 107-2004, High Visibility Safety Apparel and Headwear.

Everyone I know in the building trades in California has gotten used to those long sleeved lime green togs.
Old 06-25-21, 01:07 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
It’s not working class energy so much as slacker vibe. Or almost Mugatu’s Derelique line from Zoolander. Someone’s gotta bring that style!
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 06-25-21, 01:08 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
LarrySellerz,

(I kind of imagine you after your ride calling to Peter in the apartment next door to check out the breast exam on channel 9.)
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 06-25-21, 01:13 PM
LarrySellerz

The irony of "shirtless, helmet-less, hybrid-riding crash guy" calling Alto Velo group riders "Freds" was not missed. Well played!
Dude Alto Velo is full of grumpy Freds who don't even ride much, sure they have some fast squads and TBH I like their organization, but lets be realistic. nothing against them
Old 06-25-21, 01:24 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Dude Alto Velo is full of grumpy Freds who don't even ride much, sure they have some fast squads and TBH I like their organization, but lets be realistic. nothing against them
Did any of those "grumpy Freds" have cable-tied copper tubing on their handlebars, to act as aerobars?

Old 06-25-21, 01:28 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by genejockey
I'm sure there is some snobby elitism going on, because it involves people, and that's what people do. But maybe a lot of what outsiders interpret as snobby elitism is self preservation based on experience? I mean, here in the Bay Area, we have a LOT of cyclists of every level up to and including world class professionals. If a fast group ride doesn't welcome you, maybe it's because they know that an inexperienced group rider in a fast pack can easily cause disaster. When I rode with one of the local clubs, I started out hanging at the back of their weekend group rides. They ran a double line with the two front riders pulling off at the same time and drifting back to the end. I did a number of rides, hanging back behind that group and letting the rotating riders pull in, before I felt confident enough of my group riding skills to try getting into the rotation. And once I was in it, I realized I had to constantly attentive not just to the wheel ahead of me, but the shoulders 5 riders ahead, and the rider beside me. It takes some effort and skill to maintain the distance with the rider ahead as the peloton goes up and down hills, speeds up, slows down, etc. I was never near or over the limits of the wattage I could put out, but it was still exhausting because of the concentration. Over time, it became second nature, but that was over months of riding with them about 80 miles every weekend. And as I got better and smoother I could sense riders around me growing more relaxed with my presence.

Is that elitist, to want to ride only with people whose skills you trust? I mean, if you show up for a group ride with everything about you screaming "I'm not one of you!", you shouldn't be surprised if the other riders receive that message loud and clear, and why would they trust your skills? Your outfit and demeanor shouts that you have something to prove, not that you want to join in.

Plus that whole shirtless thing? Geez, what an affectation! It's JUNE, dude. You're courting melanoma to make some kind of "statement".
1) I mainly do just hang out in the back for precisely the reasons you state (and my wide bars are annoying and hazardous), and when I'm feeling feisty and attack or follow an attack I don't try to insert myself back in the paceline, even if it means I get dropped completely. I trying to not get labeled as a dangerous rider, hence why im staying away from the ride that I crashed on (Must have a bad rep with them now) and sticking to the noon ride because they like me for the most part.

2) Ive been riding shirtless for years to avoid getting sweaty on the commute, I don't own a car. The sun isn't that brutal here in california compared to other places. Not worried about sunburn or skin cancer.

3) I don't blame Egan for turning me away, just thought it was funny/cute that they wanted me to wear a jersey and Ironic that I crashed.
Old 06-25-21, 01:33 PM
LarrySellerz

Did any of those "grumpy Freds" have cable-tied copper tubing on their handlebars, to act as aerobars?
No but many have 15k bikes that they hardly ride and then get surprised when passed by people on slower bikes. Fred has like a bazillion meanings and one of them is someone who is new to cycling and buys a fancy bike and rapha kit because they think thats what they need to be fast. Also those bars are way safer than they look, I removed them though to be more social to the group rides. They could act as spears in a horrific crash

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.