Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

pump for 100 psi for Bruce Banner

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

pump for 100 psi for Bruce Banner

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-21, 06:36 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
You're 145 and you want to hit 100psi? Are you running 19mm tires?

Seriously, though - that's a bit much.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-19-21, 06:46 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
You're 145 and you want to hit 100psi? Are you running 19mm tires?

Seriously, though - that's a bit much.
just 25 gp 5000. it's just an easy round number to hit and I don't like pinch flats. I grew up on bmx bikes, seems like flats where rare way back when. First time riding a road bike was last year. In first two weeks got a flat from a simple bump in the road. The cyclist set me straight that I got a pinch flat and should ride at 100 psi. So that's what I have been doing. Before ever ride use the full size pump to pump up to 100 psi.

Think 80 psi with inner tubes and gp 5000 25 mm tires is good enough then ?

or is the day I convert to tubeless and stop worrying about pinch flats ? ha-ha
Old 08-20-21, 08:06 AM
blinky

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Tuscany with Ultegra R-8000 components

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
You need a high pressure pump, not a high volume pump. Pumps like yours are designed to pump up wider high volume tires. Unless you have arms like the Incredible Hulk you won't get the pressure you need. High pressure pumps have skinny barrels in order to generate higher pressure. Of course they pump less air per stroke than a high volume pump unless they have a much longer barrel.
My pump of choice to attain high pressure is my trusty Zefal HPX, I can get well above 100 psi with it
Pardon the bold , eyes , had a Zefal years ago - found a source online for a new one - 3 models depending on distance between head tube and seat tube - question : is the hold by spring tension at both ends or is there additional hardware required ?
Old 08-20-21, 08:20 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
I own LEZYNE HV Bicycle Hand Pump, High Volume 90 PSI. Over the last year I have changed many flats on the side of the road with it. The other day I tested it at home. I was curious how much psi I was putting into the tire. After I pumped it with LEZYNE HV Bicycle Hand Pump I put on the home floor pump with built in gauge. It was only 52/52 ish :/ Enough to ride slowly home I guess.

I am looking for pump Bruce Banner could pump up to 100 psi on the side of the road.
Why do you need a 100 psi? Holy crap. At best 70-80 psi will be much better. More comfortable ride and the tire will conform to things that will want to poke through it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by prj71; 08-20-21 at 08:27 AM.
Old 08-21-21, 08:39 AM
blinky

Originally Posted by alcjphil
You need a high pressure pump, not a high volume pump. Pumps like yours are designed to pump up wider high volume tires. Unless you have arms like the Incredible Hulk you won't get the pressure you need. High pressure pumps have skinny barrels in order to generate higher pressure. Of course they pump less air per stroke than a high volume pump unless they have a much longer barrel.
My pump of choice to attain high pressure is my trusty Zefal HPX, I can get well above 100 psi with it
Zefal has always been a great pump - I talked to an online retailer that sells them , they said it only attaches to a brazed on peg near the bottom of the seat tube - I'm guessing Look bikes have those pegs but you also show a pic with a top tube mounted Zefal - how is this mounted , did you have to buy a peg attached to a strap for the top tube ?
Old 08-21-21, 10:43 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by blinky
Zefal has always been a great pump - I talked to an online retailer that sells them , they said it only attaches to a brazed on peg near the bottom of the seat tube - I'm guessing Look bikes have those pegs but you also show a pic with a top tube mounted Zefal - how is this mounted , did you have to buy a peg attached to a strap for the top tube ?
There is no need for a peg at the bottom where the seat tube and down tube meet at the bottom bracket. The top tube mounted pump fits onto a pump peg on the head tube and into the angle between the top tube and the seat tube with no fitting needed. In both cases the pump is held very securely as long as you have the correct length pump for the frame in question. I have 3 different length pumps for my various bikes. In the picture of my Limongi in a previous post you can clearly see how the bottom of the pump fits into the seat tube/top tube junction. That end of the pump fits into the seat tube/downtube junction the same way

Last edited by alcjphil; 08-21-21 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-21-21, 12:28 PM
blinky

Alcjphil Said ----------

There is no need for a peg at the bottom where the seat tube and down tube meet at the bottom bracket. The top tube mounted pump fits onto a pump peg on the head tube and into the angle between the top tube and the seat tube with no fitting needed. In both cases the pump is held very securely as long as you have the correct length pump for the frame in question. I have 3 different length pumps for my various bikes. In the picture of my Limongi in a previous post you can clearly see how the bottom of the pump fits into the seat tube/top tube junction. That end of the pump fits into the seat tube/downtube junction the same way

**************************************************************************************************** **************************************************************************************************** *************
The retailer Rivendell Bicycle Works does offer the pump in three sizes requiring the distance from top tube/seat tube junction to the seat tube/down tube junction - my bike , Litespeed Tuscany 2003 doesn't have a pump peg on the head tube - thanks for the explanation and additional pictures .
Old 08-21-21, 02:04 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
^^^ nothing but bold, didn't read.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-21-21, 03:24 PM
blinky

Originally Posted by WhyFi
^^^ nothing but bold, didn't read.
Eyesight , helps me read what I type , sorry to offend you .
Old 08-22-21, 12:41 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
I own LEZYNE HV Bicycle Hand Pump, High Volume 90 PSI. Over the last year I have changed many flats on the side of the road with it. The other day I tested it at home. I was curious how much psi I was putting into the tire. After I pumped it with LEZYNE HV Bicycle Hand Pump I put on the home floor pump with built in gauge. It was only 52/52 ish :/ Enough to ride slowly home I guess.

I am looking for pump Bruce Banner could pump up to 100 psi on the side of the road.
Well your test was faulty. When you attached the second pump the air had to fill the hose first.
Old 08-22-21, 12:46 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by popeye
Well your test was faulty. When you attached the second pump the air had to fill the hose first.

seriously ? ha-ha

I let the air both times.

The new pump with the gauge can hit 80 psi. My old pump is good to about 50. I tested both pumps several times. Each time I let the air all the way out.
Old 08-22-21, 01:46 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
seriously ? ha-ha

I let the air both times.

The new pump with the gauge can hit 80 psi. My old pump is good to about 50. I tested both pumps several times. Each time I let the air all the way out.
Ok, that was not how the OP described it. 50 lbs would be low for most.