Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Jamis Renegade - What year did tire clearance increase?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-29-23, 03:08 PM
JWK

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, GT Grade alloy, Trek 920

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts

Title says it all. I'm looking for a Renegade, but I want the models that increased to 50mm tire clearance. I've read conflicting reports. Some say 2020, some say it didn't change until 2021. I'm searching for used models and don't want to waste my time or anyone else's for that matter. Thanks for any info.
Old 05-29-23, 06:49 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by JWK
Title says it all.
Why do people say this, and then prove otherwise? Just leave it off if you need to explain your question further.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 05-29-23, 07:22 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
This might help Catalog Archive
Old 05-30-23, 06:56 PM
JWK

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Why do people say this, and then prove otherwise? Just leave it off if you need to explain your question further.
Never thought about it. Traditional internet jabber, I suppose. It doesn't make any sense. Now that you've pointed it out to me, I will never be able to use it again. Not only that, but I know I will find myself being mildly irritated every time I see someone else doing that exact same thing. Then I will have to remind myself that I used to do that very same thing, thereby robbing me of the opportunity to feel smug and superior. Now I am upset and confused with conflicting emotions. I blame Jamis. If they had never made that stupid Renegade, none of this would have ever happened.

I should probably start a new thread. I'm drifting a bit from the original subject.
Old 05-30-23, 07:07 PM
JWK

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
This might help Catalog Archive
Thank you, but I've checked that source already. No specs on tire clearance given. The 2020 spec sheet claims the 520 frame is updated from 2019, and the 2021 spec sheet claims the frame is updated from 2020. There is nothing that indicates what these updates were.
Likes For JWK:
Old 05-31-23, 08:25 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by JWK
Never thought about it. Traditional internet jabber, I suppose. It doesn't make any sense. Now that you've pointed it out to me, I will never be able to use it again. Not only that, but I know I will find myself being mildly irritated every time I see someone else doing that exact same thing. Then I will have to remind myself that I used to do that very same thing, thereby robbing me of the opportunity to feel smug and superior. Now I am upset and confused with conflicting emotions. I blame Jamis. If they had never made that stupid Renegade, none of this would have ever happened.

I should probably start a new thread. I'm drifting a bit from the original subject.
Sorry if it seemed like I was picking on you... it's been on my mind, and you were just the next person to use the phrase.

Anyways, I scanned through the catalog archives that shelbyfv linked, and as far as I can tell, all three frame materials officially support the same 700x40C-ish tire clearance for both years. Perhaps the change happened after the 2021 model year? I do see this for current models:

(Our steel and aluminum Renegades will accommodate up to a 700c x 50mm/650b x 2.00”.)
It seems that bike manufacturers have gotten really conservative about tire clearance (i.e. the maximum tire still provides 6mm clearance or so), so if you got one of the older ones, you'd probably have room for a bigger tire than the stock 700x37C or whatever. Especially if you're just sticking to paved roads instead of dirt.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-31-23, 09:31 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by JWK
Thank you, but I've checked that source already. No specs on tire clearance given. The 2020 spec sheet claims the 520 frame is updated from 2019, and the 2021 spec sheet claims the frame is updated from 2020. There is nothing that indicates what these updates were.
So your question is actually something I have wondered for a few years now, admittedly not frequently though since I dont actually spend free time just thinking about a random frame.
I heavily considered a Jamis Renegade 631 frame back in summer '19 for a build, but couldnt get my hands on one- Jamis said there werent any in my size for sale in North America. But since then, I have looked at the models from time to time since I like how Jamis specs bikes and markets.

Anyways, the tire clearance change hasnt happened to their carbon frames. At least thats the case the last time I looked. And quite frankly, that is a huge miss by Jamis. Nobody wants a gravel bike with 37mm of max tire clearance. That is so outdated that it wasnt even a good design spec 10 years ago.

For the steel frames, I think the change happened during the first 12months of covid when inventory was depleted and supply was non-existent. So it was the '21 model, but that was a limited year for bike availability. Add to this the fact that Jamis doesnt seem to have yearly models and it gets murkier.
In '21 the bikes got some different colors(S2 was green, I remember) and some mounts like top tube bento were added. To add confusion- Jamis' website had some old tire clearance numbers on it. At one point it claimed 42mm tire clearance. At one point it claimed 47mm tire clearance. Now its 50mm.
So for sure 2021 bike model and newer has 50mm of clearance. And for sure, Jamis dropped the ball on keeping their info clear when changes took place.
Likes For mstateglfr: