Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Speed limit on bike paths' in NC

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-21, 05:23 PM
Chistophe516

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 19 Posts

I am looking. Because, Unless I am wrong, it is 15mph. If anyone knows' different, I would appreciate you letting me know.

TIA
Old 06-11-21, 07:14 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
If you're asking if there's a state law, that should be easy to find in the state statutes. However, I'm guessing that most localities will set their own speed limits on their local trails, so there may not be one single answer.
Old 06-11-21, 08:10 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Chistophe516
I am looking. Because, Unless I am wrong, it is 15mph. If anyone knows' different, I would appreciate you letting me know.

TIA

Why do you think there is a speed limit?
Unless there is a posted sign, I always assume that there's no limit on a path other than what's reasonable for the traffic.

From my experience, I would say Milton Keynes is right, typically the path speed limits are by local ordinance, not state law. They could also be by state regulatory agency. Either way, there are generally signs when they exist.

I have seen 15 mph, 20 mph and even 25 mph limits posted, so there wouldn't seem to be any reason to assume 15 is correct even if the limit exists.
Old 06-11-21, 08:25 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 771 Posts
No sign = no limit.

Just use common sense.
Old 06-11-21, 08:49 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,641 Times in 944 Posts
It varies on the city, but it's usually not enforced and common sense is the rule. The Neuse River Trail from Raleigh to Clayton is 10 mph. No one should be doing over that when passing walkers with kids or pets or when the trail is congested. In open areas with no traffic I've never heard of anyone being stopped for going over 10 mph.
Likes For Deal4Fuji:
Old 06-11-21, 10:16 AM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Unless there is a posted sign, I always assume that there's no limit on a path other than what's reasonable for the traffic.
Some states (or counties/cities) have speed limits on paths that are not posted on signs. For example, the stretch of bike path going east from Copper Mountain in Colorado along I-70 is 15mph, and the path from the top of Vail Pass all the way down to Avon. But to my knowledge there are no posted signs (or, rather, there weren't when I lived in the area). It's up to us to know local statutes.

I learned about the 15mph statute when it was brought to our attention during a charity ride. What's cool is that they gave us the option of using the actual freeway if we wanted to go faster 😊.

OP: It shouldn't be a problem to research NC statutes.
Old 06-11-21, 10:20 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
You are probably wrong assuming it's 15 mph. You need to find out what entity controls the bike path and what jurisdiction it belongs to if entirely public.

Otherwise I'd think you are good up to the 55 mph speed limit the state of New York has for roads with unposted speeds.

Edit.... oh re-reading I see it's North Carolina that is in question... so lets just go with 35 mph in municipal districts and 55 mph outside.

Still if your MUP is owned by a private organization but lets it be used by the public, there may actually not be an enforceable speed limit even if there is one posted.

https://nccriminallaw.sog.unc.edu/ne...t-enforceable/

Last edited by Iride01; 06-11-21 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Didn't read well the first time... add new material.
Old 06-11-21, 11:07 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Mark Stone
Some states (or counties/cities) have speed limits on paths that are not posted on signs. For example, the stretch of bike path going east from Copper Mountain in Colorado along I-70 is 15mph, and the path from the top of Vail Pass all the way down to Avon. But to my knowledge there are no posted signs (or, rather, there weren't when I lived in the area). It's up to us to know local statutes.

I learned about the 15mph statute when it was brought to our attention during a charity ride. What's cool is that they gave us the option of using the actual freeway if we wanted to go faster 😊.

There definitely is no statute. There could be a regulation or an ordinance, but that's a lot of research to find.
Old 06-11-21, 11:28 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked 1,655 Times in 782 Posts
Best thing to do is to check the trail map/brochure online.
The "Thermal Belt Rail Trail" (Rutherfordton to Forest City, NC) specifically states that the speed limit on the trail is 15 MPH.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 06-11-21, 02:30 PM
Chistophe516

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
If you're asking if there's a state law, that should be easy to find in the state statutes. However, I'm guessing that most localities will set their own speed limits on their local trails, so there may not be one single answer.
True

From my experience, I would say @Milton Keynes is right, typically the path speed limits are by local ordinance, not state law. They could also be by state regulatory agency. Either way, there are generally signs when they exist.

I have seen 15 mph, 20 mph and even 25 mph limits posted, so there wouldn't seem to be any reason to assume 15 is correct even if the limit exists.
While 15mph is what I said, for the bike trail. You are right that it could be different.
Originally Posted by prj71
No sign = no limit.

Just use common sense.
I hope it is that simple.
Originally Posted by Deal4Fuji
It varies on the city, but it's usually not enforced and common sense is the rule. The Neuse River Trail from Raleigh to Clayton is 10 mph. No one should be doing over that when passing walkers with kids or pets or when the trail is congested. In open areas with no traffic I've never heard of anyone being stopped for going over 10 mph.
Agreed
Originally Posted by Mark Stone

That is why I asked the question. I need to go fast, to maintain my balance.
Originally Posted by Iride01
You are probably wrong assuming it's 15 mph. You need to find out what entity controls the bike path and what jurisdiction it belongs to if entirely public.

Otherwise I'd think you are good up to the 55 mph speed limit the state of New York has for roads with unposted speeds.

Edit.... oh re-reading I see it's North Carolina that is in question... so lets just go with 35 mph in municipal districts and 55 mph outside.

Still if your MUP is owned by a private organization but lets it be used by the public, there may actually not be an enforceable speed limit even if there is one posted.

https://nccriminallaw.sog.unc.edu/ne...t-enforceable/
Ok
There definitely is no statute. There could be a regulation or an ordinance, but that's a lot of research to find.
True
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Best thing to do is to check the trail map/brochure online.
The "Thermal Belt Rail Trail" (Rutherfordton to Forest City, NC) specifically states that the speed limit on the trail is 15 MPH.
Ah, ok
Old 06-11-21, 05:07 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Like others have said, if there is no sign, no by-law etc, then go as fast as you like. But unless there's something in these park trails that make pedestrians and animals avoid them, I would prepare to slow down or stop if one of them suddenly appears.
Old 06-11-21, 06:03 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
There is no State Law in NC that sets speed limits on trails. These are set by the governing county or municipality. For instance, all of the greenways in Raleigh have a limit of 10 mph. Greenways in Cary have a limit of 15 mph. I don't believe there is an official limit on the American Tobacco Trail, but I think a suggested speed limit is posted on some of the trail signs. I've not heard of any enforcement activity, but that does not mean that you should not always strive to be a prudent and courteous rider.

Is there a particular reason you're asking?
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 06-11-21, 08:01 PM
Chistophe516

Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
There is no State Law in NC that sets speed limits on trails. These are set by the governing county or municipality. For instance, all of the greenways in Raleigh have a limit of 10 mph. Greenways in Cary have a limit of 15 mph. I don't believe there is an official limit on the American Tobacco Trail, but I think a suggested speed limit is posted on some of the trail signs. I've not heard of any enforcement activity, but that does not mean that you should not always strive to be a prudent and courteous rider.

Is there a particular reason you're asking?
Yes, My uncle n' aunt, who live in Carolina Beach. Want me to come down there (I am in Chatham County) for a visit. But, My experience with bike paths'. Is far less favorable, than riding on the road. Because, Having to go fast on the road. Helps me maintain my balance. Going slow on a bike path will cause me to lose my balance. My aunt(retired RN) wants my uncle(retired UAL 737 pilot), and I. To stay on a bike path. I read about the speed limits' on the road in Carolina Beach. They are speed limits I am use to. But my uncle can't handle the road.

Last edited by Chistophe516; 06-11-21 at 08:04 PM.
Old 06-11-21, 08:23 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Going slow on a bike path will cause me to lose my balance.
Srsly? This is bike skill issue, or lack of skill in this case, because even a super twitchy criterium bike can be ridden at a walking pace without tipping over or wobbling around.
And if you're on a MUP its actually needed skill you should learn.

How to ride slow without wobbling about
Likes For billridesbikes:
Old 06-11-21, 09:00 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by billridesbikes
Srsly? This is bike skill issue, or lack of skill in this case, because even a super twitchy criterium bike can be ridden at a walking pace without tipping over or wobbling around.

If I had a choice, I'd probably avoid the 15 mph path, but that's just because I like to ride faster than that. But I do a lot of no speed limit MUP riding, and I actually enjoy the practice at rapid speed changes it necessitates. Also, I find it very pleasant to interact with kids and their parents while (carefully) passing them. I get a kick out of watching the little kids learn bike handling skills. Sometimes you have to coach the kids a little bit as well so they don't overreact to being passed.

I've lost my temper exactly once on a MUP. A Strava-obsessed guy was close passing little kids on the Minuteman. I actually chased him down after we got on a less crowded part of the path to yell at him. It really was just about the worst thing I've ever seen a cyclist do, and it was just luck that a kid didn't get twitchy during a close pass. I'm talking about 3 and 4 year olds.

And if you want to get really good at controlling your bike at low speed, ride behind a 3 year old while waiting for the passing lane to open.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-11-21, 09:13 PM
Chistophe516

No it isn't!!! It has to with physical health issues, I have had, since the day I was born(1967)!!!! I don't wobble on the road, because I don't go slow!!
Old 06-11-21, 09:19 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

No it isn't!!! It has to with physical health issues, I have had, since the day I was born(1967)!!!! I don't wobble on the road, because I don't go slow!!
If you can't balance at 15 mph, I don't see how you can ride on a road. There's these things called stop lights and stop signs, and there's traffic, all of which require slowing from time to time.
Old 06-11-21, 09:29 PM
Chistophe516

If you can't balance at 15 mph, I don't see how you can ride on a road. There's these things called stop lights and stop signs, and there's traffic, all of which require slowing from time to time.
Stopping/starting is the easy part. It is steady speeds at -15mph, that cause a problem. I counter the problem by going faster.
Old 06-11-21, 11:35 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Stopping/starting is the easy part. It is steady speeds at -15mph, that cause a problem. I counter the problem by going faster.
I have no idea how that works, but if you say so, ok.
Old 06-11-21, 11:41 PM
Chistophe516

I have no idea how that works, but if you say so, ok.
That is how I overcome my balance problem at speed.
Old 06-12-21, 12:17 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

That is how I overcome my balance problem at speed.

Balance problems are really hard to describe. It's hard for me to imagine how you could keep your balance getting to speed, but I'm sure you have your strategies, I just won't be able to understand them if you tried to explain. The truth is no one really understands how their own body keeps balanced, it's mostly an unconscious process.
Old 06-12-21, 05:45 AM
billridesbikes

My dude, if you have a condition where you can’t control your bike under all conditions then you have no business riding it, especially on an MUP. Please take up a different sport like walking before you injure someone.
Old 06-12-21, 06:03 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

My dude, if you have a condition where you can’t control your bike under all conditions then you have no business riding it, especially on an MUP. Please take up a different sport like walking before you injure someone.

I'm not reading him the same way. I think he's saying he can ride slowly when needed incidentally, but can't sustain it over long rides. I also think he's actually trying to determine whether he does have "any business" riding on a MUP.

Apparently he's been riding safely with this disability on roads for decades. Don't see why he should give that up.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-12-21, 06:27 AM
billridesbikes

I'm not reading him the same way. I think he's saying he can ride slowly when needed incidentally, but can't sustain it over long rides. I also think he's actually trying to determine whether he does have "any business" riding on a MUP.

Apparently he's been riding safely with this disability on roads for decades. Don't see why he should give that up.
Just because you haven’t had an accident while doing something unsafe doesn’t mean you should continue to do it. Like the guy that has four or five beers and then drives home because “he’s been doing it safely for years after all. Plus dude is over 50 and balance and reflexes are, well, not peak and maybe in decline. Might be time to hang it up.
Old 06-12-21, 09:33 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
I don't have a balance problem when slow, but at ambient temps over 90° F going slower than 14 mph starts me getting uncomfortably hot. I'd have a problem with a path that had a max speed of 15 or even 17 mph. At 10 mph for prolonged climbs and high efforts, I might start to get heat exhaustion and that can lead to a serious balance problem.

The OP seems to have figured out what they need for their issue. It does sort of bring to light an issue though. Speed.... Should it be limited to a max speed even when there are no others around? I might can see a speed limit of sorts when around others, particularly those engaged in other activities. But not for times you don't even have others within sight, unless of course you are at a blind curve.

AFAIK, the local MUP here has no speed limit. Certainly none posted. In literature they just ask that you maintain a safe speed for what ever you are doing when around others.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.