Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Pancreatitis -- Ugh

Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Pancreatitis -- Ugh

Old 09-14-21, 12:25 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Pancreatitis -- Ugh

Well, I had my third bout against Acute Pancreatitis during the last week of August. I had Pancreatitis twice in the past, both events in 2017, both caused by a blocked Bile Duct and resolved by gall bladder removal surgery. This latest event has the doctors scratching their heads. There was no blockage in the bile ducts, as per the MRI, so the likely cause was high triglycerides. So I'm on a low fat diet now (goodbye burgers) to lower triglycerides and hopefully prevent this from happening again. The doctor still characterizes it as acute, not chronic, which is fortunate.

The good news is that when a person goes to the ER with severe abdominal pain, (s)he is treated to the full array of radiology: I got an Xray, Ultrasound, CT, and MRI, and every other organ is in great condition - no colon polyps, spleen-liver-kidneys-lungs-heart-adrenals etc. all in great condition. Bloodwork showed an A1c of 5.6%, and every other blood value was excellent except for the screaming triglycerides and, of course, a high Lipase level because of the pancreatitis.

This is why I thank God for bicycling. I've always believed that a lifetime of cycling (or, really, any aerobic exercise) leads to great old-age health. Thanks Cycling and my 20 year old self, from my 68 year old self. I think the last coupl'a decades of my life will be wonderful. Meanwhile, I should be back on my Trike pretty soon!
Likes For Mark Stone:
Old 09-17-21, 05:42 AM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5391 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 230 Posts
Good luck with that. I had it back in the 80's. Mine was caused by drinking. Quit drinking and the pancreatitis went away and hasn't come back.