Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Music Status?

Old 02-16-19, 09:55 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Roon player, Qobuz - anything better?
I had to do some research to figure out what you were asking about and that probably means, I am not the guy to answer the question.

I have a home automation system that includes audio and video connected to speakers in different rooms in my house with a room set up as a home theatre. I use Sonos to play music such as Apple Music. My bandwidth is probably similar to Qobuz minimum offering.

I have a buddy who installed state of the art music and video including a room dedicated to home theatre. He claims to have put $500k into equipment, acoustics and furnishings in the home theatre room. I watched and listened to his system and it was pretty amazing and better than let's say a commercial high end theatre such as The Lot. However I had to get my own beer and pizza I think his setup is in the stratosphere of audio video experience. The next time I see him, I will ask him what apps / streaming he uses.
Old 02-16-19, 10:15 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
I had to do some research to figure out what you were asking about and that probably means, I am not the guy to answer the question.

I have a home automation system that includes audio and video connected to speakers in different rooms in my house with a room set up as a home theatre. I use Sonos to play music such as Apple Music. My bandwidth is probably similar to Qobuz minimum offering.

I have a buddy who installed state of the art music and video including a room dedicated to home theatre. He claims to have put $500k into equipment, acoustics and furnishings in the home theatre room. I watched and listened to his system and it was pretty amazing and better than let's say a commercial high end theatre such as The Lot. However I had to get my own beer and pizza I think his setup is in the stratosphere of audio video experience. The next time I see him, I will ask him what apps / streaming he uses.
I think Qobuz (maybe Tidal MQA) and Roon are the ones to beat now. There are a number of players and most shape the stream a bit (the sound changes).

Taking way down from $500K for ~$100/year player and ~$20-$30/month streamer you can get as clear a stream to your DAC as possible. That DAC could be costly, as could be power conditioners.

Like bikes and wine, there is a price point where it is hard [for me] to tell the difference. When folks start using price to tell you how good something is, I consider they have reached that point. Once it was brought to my attention, I did start studying sample rates, how digital analog converter (DAC) software works and along with the downstream stuff from amp to speakers. I can hear differences, but hard to tell which is "better" (like bikes and wine). I may actually enjoy the more distorted warm sounds more than the pure "more bland" music. Much of the home audio can reproduce better than most recording were made a short while ago. But whatever you spend, seems to me the input should be the first place to get it perfect. I'm in this for the retail price of a pro DA Di2 Bike for one seat, at my desk, nothing like your friend's house.

Some of the latest string recordings of violin, cello, viola the breathing of the artist come through clearly, as does periodic foot shuffle, the tone of how much rosin is on the bow. Having played, not well, but enough to think I perceive the sound difference of a well rosin'd bow (no need to burst my bubble). I think that makes the performance more interesting, although Bach I guess, was not thinking about where to breath. After time, maybe I will see this as noise, but I am hearing things, even words to songs I never heard before.
Old 02-24-19, 12:17 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 101 Posts
Another composer I have played is Rachmaninoff.
I don't know Rachmaninoff other than from the movie Shine. Although maybe not a "great" movie, when I saw it I had the same reaction this IMDb reviewer had:
"When I originally saw this film in the mid-90's, I was absolutely devastated throughout the first forty-five minutes. So much so, I was pretty much uncontrollably weeping, much to the chagrin of the friend I went with."
I'd gone with my gf at the time and it was a very quiet evening after. I don't know why it affected me so. I've never watched it again, mainly because I figure my first reaction will be the most powerful so I'm going to leave it at that.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 02-24-19, 10:16 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

I have not watched Shine but will check it out. Russian music hits me in the gut, It is hard not to have an emotional reaction and couple that with a story line and I can see how it could affect you in that way.

Here is the Rachmaninoff Concerto No 3. This is an amazing performance by Olga Kern, Russian, and dressed in red. No 3 is "supposed" to be the most challenging piece of the era. Nothing is easy.

Old 02-25-19, 10:45 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

I am wrapping up Gershwin and moving on to Debussy. I have many Debussy favs but Claire de Lune (Moonlight) is special in that it was one of the first piano pieces I learned. The notes and melody of this piece are very subtle and Debussy creates a very dreamy and romantic picture of Moonlight with the music. Here is my new fav pianist Tiffany Poon playing Clarie de Lune. She caresses each note flawlessly to create the musical fabric of Moonlight.

@tmonk This is another great piece to play.

Old 02-26-19, 08:18 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2502 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,567 Posts
I learned a dumbed-down version transposed to C as a teen that I still have committed to memory. One of these days I'll have to learn the real deal, along with Arabesque No. 1, a personal favorite. I can play the first page or so of the real Arabesque 1.
Old 03-02-19, 10:15 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

We went to Copley Symphony Hall last Sunday for a "Jazz at the Jacobs" performance of Dave Brubeck's Time Out. It was great! As you'd expect, the musicians were best-of-the-best, and it was great to get an intimate look at the small ensemble.

https://purchasing.sandiegosymphony.org/7035/7039

They played select singles for the first half, and Time Out after the intermission. One of the tracks they played beforehand was the "Trolley Song", in which the pianist vamps a pleasurable, driving rhythm about 30s in. I loved it!

Old 03-05-19, 08:36 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Opinions on a bottle cage speaker? I’d promise to only use it in very low to zero traffic like a gravel ride. Or hill repeats on the neighborhood street.

Must be under the BS radar for spousal approval on price.

Easily worth 10w NP per workout.
Old 03-06-19, 05:50 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Truly wireless headphones have changed the game. Easy to stuff just the right one in your ear and not contend with wires etc for exercise.
Old 03-11-19, 09:04 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Opinions on a bottle cage speaker? I’d promise to only use it in very low to zero traffic like a gravel ride. Or hill repeats on the neighborhood street.

Must be under the BS radar for spousal approval on price.

Easily worth 10w NP per workout.
I climbed Mount Ventoux a few years ago and a couple who rode up on a tandem had a boom box on the back. There were excellent cyclists and cleaned my clock on the climb but I am not so sure that boom box added much more than weight.

Another idea for you that is pretty cheap, I know you will like that, is a water bottle filled with lead shot to use on hills for training. It does not make any sound but may improve your climbing.
Old 03-11-19, 11:38 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
I climbed Mount Ventoux a few years ago and a couple who rode up on a tandem had a boom box on the back. There were excellent cyclists and cleaned my clock on the climb but I am not so sure that boom box added much more than weight.

Another idea for you that is pretty cheap, I know you will like that, is a water bottle filled with lead shot to use on hills for training. It does not make any sound but may improve your climbing.
Lol, touche'. A "blockbuster" with D-batteries?

I dunno, the cheaper ones probably only weight about as much as some of the morning dumps I take after "curry takeout night" at the house.
Old 03-17-19, 09:27 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
I need a good speaker. I don't like bottle cage cuz of course I always have 2 water bottles. I had the fugoo speaker, sounded good but it stopped working after a year. The Buckshot is cheap and easy to strap on the bars, but not really loud and sounds like crap. I'm thinkin of getting a good one again.
Old 03-18-19, 03:06 PM
Ygduf
Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
apple airpods and earhoox or whatever silicone dealy to make them sit more securely. people with speakers are a scourge.
Old 03-18-19, 03:51 PM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
I've been using a UE Boom 2 in the jersey pocket. Good battery life, good sound. A little heavy but really nice to have on long isolated climbs (or with friends that can agree on music. Sometimes I'll let someone else pair their bluetooth as well, and that helps us stick together instead of dropping each other)
Old 03-19-19, 06:50 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
I have a teammate with a helmet that has speakers built in. I don't recall what it is called. He has a little volume control on his top tube. It's loud enough for him to hear, but not really for others.

Of course, I'm mostly deaf in my left ear and do not ride with my hearing aid in. (Sweat can damage it, and they are expensive.)
Old 03-19-19, 12:21 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
apple airpods and earhoox or whatever silicone dealy to make them sit more securely. people with speakers are a scourge.
this

I ride with an AirPod in the right ear only, so I can hear traffic as needed. Luckily I don't have weird ears like @Ygduf, so I don't need any weird adapters.

my race videos
Old 03-19-19, 12:26 PM
Ygduf
Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
this

I ride with an AirPod in the right ear only, so I can hear traffic as needed. Luckily I don't have weird ears like @Ygduf, so I don't need any weird adapters.
There are dozens of us! Honestly though if just on the phone or whatever I can get by, but on the bike I had one (also only ride with right-ear) fall out and it was nearly run over so better safe than sorry. The adapters are so nice too - I forget I have the airpod in if it's not playing. I have literally been in the shower and rinsing my head when I realize I still have it in.

Water resistant too! I've only replaced 1 airpod in easily ~10k miles.
Old 03-28-19, 03:56 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
One of the nice things about having Sirius XM in my car is that I hear stuff that I wouldn't normally hear. Listening to the blues channel yesterday I heard two songs in a row that I really liked. I already downloaded the first album on iTunes; I can't find the second on other than MP3 or CD. For your enjoyment:

Demain, on roule!
Old 04-16-19, 01:30 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

La Jolla Music Society built a new concert hall in La Jolla and we went to a chamber music performance and a solo piano recital by David Li. The concert hall is totally amazing and the acoustics beyond reproach. https://ljms.org/about-the-conrad/

It has been open for a couple of weeks and it will be a fabulous addition to the community.

The piano solo by David Li featured Beethoven and Liszt. The final Liszt piece was insane. Liszt technical difficulty is well established but this piece was totally nuts. David Li is cut from the same Asian cloth as Lang Lang and others. His accuracy and speed are amazing.

He did 3 encore pieces one which was Liszt's La Campenella that is one of the six Grande Etudes de Niccolň Paganini who was a violinist and composer and Liszt transcribed the violin pieces into piano pieces. La Campenella is the most recognized piece of the six. My wife says, you should play that one for me. Absolutely, I will work on it as soon as we get home. I have the music and it is pretty insane.

Here is David Li playing it in the first round of the XV International Tchaikovsky Competition

Old 04-16-19, 07:22 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

very cool @Hermes!

I went to the opera two weekends ago to see Carmen at the San Diego CIvic. My first time going to a real opera - and it didn't seem as long as I thought it might . I grew up being intimately familiar with the music and one of the film adaptions as well, so it was great for me to see it live acted and with a great orchestra. I appreciated all of the different "takes" or variations on the tunes that the orchestra used during different scenes. Some of them were very simple and enjoyable.

Plus my mom let me borrow her opera glasses, so I had fun being "boujee". Elitist achievement unlocked!!!
Old 04-19-19, 10:01 PM
Doge

I'm kinda into going through the Bach-Werke-Verzeichnis. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bach-Werke-Verzeichnis
I got my workstation all setup. I've been following @Hermes piano posts. I'm just more into guitar and violin, viola and cello. I have to play when the wife is away as it is too depressing for her. So I got this work setup.

Typical me, no different than bikes I have a drawer full of tubes I'm trying and other speaker I'll rotate in. All below powered by a battery - clean power and all. I really am nuts.

My work space....version I

Version current:
Old 04-20-19, 07:54 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

@doge Great workstation. I love the vacuum tube amplifier and Sony headphones.

I have been to several violin and cello concertos over the years. I have heard Rostropovich and Yo Yo Ma and Perlman. One of my fav composer is Antonín Leopold Dvořák. He composed the Cello Concerto in B minor, Op. 104, B. 191. I have heard Rostropovich and Yo Yo Ma perform it in the US and I heard it performed in Prague.in the Czech Republic.

My grandfather was from the Czech Republic and there must be something in the genes. This concerto evokes deep feelings in me that other music does not. As much as I like Yo Yo Ma and Rostropovich, Jacqueline du Pré is my favorite soloist performing it. She just seems to merge with the instrument and play from a place that others cannot reach. It is unfortunate that we lost her at such an early age. Below is Jacqueline performing it and she broke a string at the beginning of the third movement and had to stop and fix it. She came back and played the 3rd movement.

Old 04-20-19, 08:18 PM
Doge

I love the Czech Republic. Been there several times for beer, touring and cycling. Classical music is their thing. I found this same track on Tidal/Roon. She is fantastic. It is lacking the visual, but sounds much better - esp with the Sony headphones (listening now).

You are a SoCal guy - ping me and give me your opinion on my setup (in person). Some things to work out still. I can show you some bike stuff too that may/may not be interesting. A lot was tossed out last year.

Still, while I can hear the the talent, for actual listening the studio technicians are seriously underrated. Really good recordings are hard to find. Distortion and noise abounds.

Last edited by Doge; 04-20-19 at 08:34 PM.
Old 04-20-19, 08:29 PM
Doge

On the Music and cycling....

Last year junior wired up in his helmet for the U23 TT. There were issues, and he thought the sound mix might have cost 15 sec or so. We are planning now. This is very serious and both wife and kid do bigger power with the right music. I don't fully understand it, I just see it.
Old 04-20-19, 08:53 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Not to say no to you @Doge, but check out rule 1J6, and 8A1(L) in the USAC rulebook. "USE OF A MOBILE PHONE OR AUDIO EN-TERTAINMENT DEVICE DURING RACE" - Results in a DSQ.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.